Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Spurs had a PSxG of 0.1 on fbref, which presumably included the Kane shot just before Bruno's goal, because that shows up on xG sites like understat and twitter's xGphilosophy.

So, I don't trust this stat at all, I trust my eyes:

He's been slightly below his standards at shot-stopping this season. Peak DDG could have done better with Iwobi's shot, and maybe he messed up his position for one of the Europa league goals. He's had some good saves too, I think against Southampton or Leicester.
Apart from the Brentford game, it's an average/meh season - no massive errors, no obvious miracles.

On sweeping - he's much more proactive. There wasn't a moment which was begging out for a keeper charge but where he was absent. In fact maybe he's going too much the other way and is going to get caught out soon. Overall, very good.

On kicking, it's been average up until the last week, and suddenly he's been effective. The stats probably won't look good because there are still a lot of long kicks to forwards who can't win headers, but his short and medium stuff has been excellent, and some of the long ones have led to half-chances too.

On cross collection - he has been, is, and always will be, a nonentity.

If he can start pulling off a few wonder saves again, I think he's fine to continue. Otherwise, probably not worth it.

largelyworried

Do you understand how time works? He’s been here a very long time, a lot of which he was one of the best in the world. He hasn’t been for the last few years. Is that easier for you to read and comprehend?
I really don't know how to make this any clearer. You said

he has absolutely been one of the best... goalies in the world during his time here
I read that to mean that you think he has been one of the best keepers throughout this time at United, which is what I disagree with. He's not been remotely near that level for over a third of his career now and therefore you can't write it off as a recent blip.

If what you meant to say is that for some of his career he was among the best in the world, I'd agree. But that's not how I read your original quote.

criticalanalysis

Spurs had a PSxG of 0.1 on fbref, which presumably included the Kane shot just before Bruno's goal, because that shows up on xG sites like understat and twitter's xGphilosophy.

So, I don't trust this stat at all, I trust my eyes:

He's been slightly below his standards at shot-stopping this season. Peak DDG could have done better with Iwobi's shot, and maybe he messed up his position for one of the Europa league goals. He's had some good saves too, I think against Southampton or Leicester.
Apart from the Brentford game, it's an average/meh season - no massive errors, no obvious miracles.

On sweeping - he's much more proactive. There wasn't a moment which was begging out for a keeper charge but where he was absent. In fact maybe he's going too much the other way and is going to get caught out soon. Overall, very good.

On kicking, it's been average up until the last week, and suddenly he's been effective. The stats probably won't look good because there are still a lot of long kicks to forwards who can't win headers, but his short and medium stuff has been excellent, and some of the long ones have led to half-chances too.

On cross collection - he has been, is, and always will be, a nonentity.

If he can start pulling off a few wonder saves again, I think he's fine to continue. Otherwise, probably not worth it.
Yes, he's almost ran straight into Martinez and Varane a couple of times already but on the whole, it's good he's doing it with a lot of confidence/almost reckless abandon. Sweeping is as much about commitment as it is being in position and reading the play. The same can be said of claiming aerials so who knows, maybe we'll see a marked improvement there too.

Agni

Had one of his best games from him in terms of distribution.

Red00012

He’ll have a headcold after tonight . Standing there for 90mins with feck all to do

CloneMC16

This is why we deserved to win. We could have created more but Chelsea barely did anything
Yeah, Chelsea didn't create much. I think they had one good chance in the 1st half that Aubameyang completely messed up. That was it really.

De Gea had very little to do.

Glorio

His distribution and sweeping seem to be improving markedly. Watching the training clips recently, it appears the GKs have started participating in the player rondos.

Who knows the missing elements of his game may just flourish in his later years. Wildly optimistic, yes, but I'm keen to see if he keeps improving on areas we know have been a weakness in the past

Sylar

His distribution and sweeping seem to be improving markedly. Watching the training clips recently, it appears the GKs have started participating in the player rondos.

Who knows the missing elements of his game may just flourish in his later years. Wildly optimistic, yes, but I'm keen to see if he keeps improving on areas we know have been a weakness in the past
The one thing I really want him to improve upon (but doubt it will happen so maybe the next keeper) is claiming crosses and early distribution.
Schmeichel was great at getting the ball and throwing it out to release a quick counter. VDS the same.

Weve seen Ederson and Allison do it too. It also affects the opposition as they think of pushing less people forward or seconds thoughts on crossing the ball over and over again into our box.

Skills

Snitch
The one thing I really want him to improve upon (but doubt it will happen so maybe the next keeper) is claiming crosses and early distribution.
Schmeichel was great at getting the ball and throwing it out to release a quick counter. VDS the same.

Weve seen Ederson and Allison do it too. It also affects the opposition as they think of pushing less people forward or seconds thoughts on crossing the ball over and over again into our box.
Too late for that tbh. It's one area he's never improved on over the years and I think it's because his frame is just too slight. He can't bully his way through like the giants and the bigger keepers. He's quite a skinny guy.

204Red

Did he even make a save today?

Chabolah header hit the bar

Penalty was scored before the corner was already taken
This alone will underline how much our play has improved under ETH

Under previous regimes I never liked that DDG was our best player and by some distance.

Sylar

Too late for that tbh. It's one area he's never improved on over the years and I think it's because his frame is just too slight. He can't bully his way through like the giants and the bigger keepers. He's quite a skinny guy.
Yeah I think that's fair and correct. I think our next keeper having that fundamental would be a bonus.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Physicality might be part of it but I also think it's largely down to personality/mentality. He just isn't near as aggressive as he could be, even with his relatively slight frame.

Plus on the flip side, his shot-stopping talent probably made staying on his line more viable than it would be for other goalkeepers. I remember that John Harrison guy who gets posted on here a lot pointing out that while De Gea is extremely weak on claiming crosses, he is unusually good at close range saves (particularly headers) that come from crosses.

Maybe he had too much of a tendency to rely on his strengths to bail him out when he should really have been working to fix his weaknesses more over the years.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

I don't want to be that guy but......

I mean that's definitely 2 things.

Skills

Snitch
Physicality might be part of it but I also think it's largely down to personality/mentality. He just isn't near as aggressive as he could be, even with his relatively slight frame.

Plus on the flip side, his shot-stopping talent probably made staying on his line more viable than it would be for other goalkeepers. I remember that John Harrison guy who gets posted on here a lot pointing out that while De Gea is extremely weak on claiming crosses, he is unusually good at close range saves (particularly headers) that come from crosses.

Maybe he had too much of a tendency to rely on his strengths to bail him out when he should really have been working to fix his weaknesses more over the years.
I think he tries with his sweeping, but he does recognise his own limitations in dominating the box though.

He probably could've bulked up, but I don't think he'd ever have been naturally as dominant as a Neuer, Ter Stegen, Courtois or Allison who are units and I think it would've sacrificed some of his reflexes. It might be an idea now to put some more mass on his frame, but its probably too late in his career to actually change.

I do love me a giant goalkeper though - Pope would've been a good buy this summer considering the price point he went for.

Telsim

Could have had a picnic all by himself over there. Long may it continue.

BorisManUtd

It was "only" Sheriff but he didn't have much job to do against Spurs and Chelsea either which is obviously more important.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Could’ve brought a deck chair.

I remember saying that a lot in the Fergie days. Hoping for more of it.

Superunknown

Could’ve brought a deck chair.

I remember saying that a lot in the Fergie days. Hoping for more of it.
Having an actual midfield who can win the ball, keep the ball, and move it on is going to make a huge difference. Martinez in front of him is making an incredible difference, too.

Zetrio2002

Should give De Gea a new contract albeit on reduced terms. He's the most loyal player who has shown great enthusiasm to want to improve and has the best reflexes in the game.

LARulz

Not in the Spain squad for the World Cup apparently - didn't even make the 55 man list

Sylar

Not in the Spain squad for the World Cup apparently - didn't even make the 55 man list
Its not a surprise though. Hes not going to start or be a first choice sub given the options.
And he doesnt seem like a 'veteran leader' who will be there to encourage and voice opinions.

Hes done better for us this season (and thats on the overall not just shotstopping which is where the praise came last season). Hes been more proactive and his distribution has been better which is whats been needed

Oranges038

Why would he be?

Hasn't been played for about 2 years now and not been in a squad for at least a year. He's a bit better this season but his all round game just isn't anywhere near good enough.

JuriM

Why would he be?

Hasn't been played for about 2 years now and not been in a squad for at least a year. He's a bit better this season but his all round game just isn't anywhere near good enough.
Name the 5 Spanish GK's who are better than him?

Oranges038

Name the 5 Spanish GK's who are better than him?
Well there's 5 there in that squad who are just more suited to how they want to play.

Who is better is a subjective view, because it all depends on the style you want to play. 3 are way ahead in terms of what Enrique wants. After that it's a toss up with any number of keeprs, Enrique has picked 2 of them. Even the Barcelona B keeper was called up ahead of him this year.

He just doesn't suit how they want to play, he never has and probably never will.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Not even an international player anymore. I think if he does stay it will be on significantly reduced terms.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's not really about whether those other goalkeepers are better than De Gea generally, because while some of them might be someone like Kepa definitely isn't.

The point is that they fit that particular team better. And if ETH had free access to the goalkeepers Enrique does then De Gea wouldn't be playing for us any more either, for the same reason. But of course ETH doesn't have that free access, so it's a different scenario.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's not really about whether those other goalkeepers are better than De Gea generally, because while some of them might be someone like Kepa definitely isn't.

The point is that they fit that particular team better. And if ETH had free access to the goalkeepers Enrique does then De Gea wouldn't be playing for us any more either, for the same reason. But of course ETH doesn't have that free access, so it's a different scenario.
Thing is Kepa is shit with his feet as well so why he's in the provisional squad only Enrique knows. Would be a farce if he makes the final squad

Status
Not open for further replies.