Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

arnie_ni

Yes, under Hoek he spent much more time training as part of the team and he did get better of those elements of his game. Sadly after Hoek left we allowed him to pick his own coach and Alvarez came in and he pretty much regressed overnight back to the goal-line type of goalkeeper. Ten Hag will definitely have him spending much more time training with the team rather than alone and it's clearly benefitting his game.
Well I wonder what eth makes of it. He might thing he can get him up towards the top end of the middle of the pack in those weaknesses, for free, and use the money elsewhere.

Nickelodeon

I think you are overrating De Gea shot stopping ability here. He is a good shotstopper but not a top in that regard, hasn't been for a few years.
I'm aware of the xG against vs actual goals metric and where De Gea stands relative to it. But I watch enough football to see where De Gea stands as a shot stopper. In the 1v1 against Barnes in the Leicester match, I wouldn't pick any other keeper in the entire league to have in that situation than De Gea. He just gives you that confidence. Admittedly, as an overall package, there are too many areas in De Gea's game that require improvement and we can possibly benefit from another keeper. But De Gea's ability to pull off a blinder will always be missed once he leaves.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm aware of the xG against vs actual goals metric and where De Gea stands relative to it. But I watch enough football to see where De Gea stands as a shot stopper. In the 1v1 against Barnes in the Leicester match, I wouldn't pick any other keeper in the entire league to have in that situation than De Gea. He just gives you that confidence. Admittedly, as an overall package, there are too many areas in De Gea's game that require improvement and we can possibly benefit from another keeper. But De Gea's ability to pull off a blinder will always be missed once he leaves.
Although I don't rate him as top shot-stopper anymore (not only because of stats), the bolded part is why I want him gone. A keeper glued to the goalline and refusing to go for high balls just doesn't give me confidence. I think we will be better off with a more commanding keeper.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

The thing is, most goalkeepers in the league will have a highlight reel like Dave's over a season.

What you will not see in these is how their proactivity, decision making and bravery impacts on the teams performance. Even Dave's biggest fans admit he likes to stay rooted to the line (although he has been sweeping better this season).

Romero and Henderson aren't great, but they weren't shrinking violets and they helped relieve pressure with their actions rather than reacting to the end result of that pressure. This was borne out in every statistical metric measuring team and goalkeeper performance when they played (better save percentages too, but we'll leave that).

De Gea's contract is still in doubt and there are strong rumours we are chasing a keeper, so I doubt people on these boards are the only ones with concerns over his performances.
I liked Romero. Henderson was pap when De Gea was out and didn’t justify all his whining at all.

JB7

Well I wonder what eth makes of it. He might thing he can get him up towards the top end of the middle of the pack in those weaknesses, for free, and use the money elsewhere.
He may well do. I think it's becoming clearer that De Gea will be here next season, it just depends on the other goalkeeper we bring in to see in what capacity he'll be here I imagine. Regardless of what happens we'll need to bring in a goalkeeper.

Tiber

He has made mistakes this year. He has also single handedly won us points with a multitude of World class saves that don't get as much discussion as a poor goal kick.

He will get his new deal and will deserve it.

Olecurls99

Ederson came out to claim a cross tonight and cost his team the win.

Staying on your line has it's merits you know. You don't gift teams empty nets.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
World class ex gks Big Pete and VDS said that Dave's best strength is excellent positioning. Meanwhile posters on Caf say that his positioning is bad.

Sums up this thread. Some people are in that phase where they are just making shit up.

arnie_ni

World class ex gks Big Pete and VDS said that Dave's best strength is excellent positioning. Meanwhile posters on Caf say that his positioning is bad.

Sums up this thread. Some people are in that phase where they are just making shit up.
If they didn't criticise him when he does well, people might take more notice of what they are saying when they actually seem to have merit.

Criticising him heavily after the leic game means we won't take them seriously

Longshanks

I mean they aren't. People swear by this guy and how he grades keepers and hes specifically praising de gea sitting back and waiting yet you still can't just sya great save without some caveat
They are different, Benzema has more time and space to work with considerably more infact. Barnes has to take the ball while sprinting under pressure and get the shot off. Benzema has time to take a touch set himself and decide how best to go forward.

De Gea's is a good save to fairly average finish from a fairly average finisher, Barnes just goes for power and gets it to close to De Gea.

Allison does sell himself a little (that's always the risk with being so proactive) but Benzema makes a difficult finish look very easy because he is one of the Best strikers in the world right now. Harvey Barnes isn't.

Still good save, good positioning spread himself well gets a strong hand on it. Does everything right.

Allison doesn't get it right on this occasion but it was complete mess from start to finish from the entire team aswell and they just all end up all over the place.

Revaulx

If ETH wants us to have greater control of games, De Gea will eventually be gone, and his personal fans will either have to call for ETH’s sacking or just accept it.

That said, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe that the reason we fail to control games right now has little to do with the goalkeeper. Our lack of technically reliable midfielders beyond Case and Eriksen (jury still out on Sabitzer) is what leads to situations like the first half v Leicester, and the home draw v Leeds.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If ETH wants us to have greater control of games, De Gea will eventually be gone, and his personal fans will either have to call for ETH’s sacking or just accept it.

That said, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe that the reason we fail to control games right now has little to do with the goalkeeper. Our lack of technically reliable midfielders beyond Case and Eriksen (jury still out on Sabitzer) is what leads to situations like the first half v Leicester, and the home draw v Leeds.
Calling for manager's head because he sold a player who you like? Really? Who did that? Ever?

Cantonalegod

Two top saves, personally I'd question his initial positioning on both. Better positioned and he doesn't need the big relfex saves.

Kicking as usual was poor.

Can't complain otherwise.
Hilarious, have you ever played in goal!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeap, although these days I let gravity do most of the work.

What's your point?
Look, i dislike McTominay. A lot. I think that nobody has worse opinion about him than me. But even i don't make shit up regarding him. You do that with Dave. His positioning was perfect in both saves (which were world class saves too) but you go and question even that.

Once i got a ban for using that phrase from Tropic thunder so i will say it like this; "never go......":wenger:;)

Oranges038

Look, i dislike McTominay. A lot. I think that nobody has worse opinion about him than me. But even i don't make shit up regarding him. You do that with Dave. His positioning was perfect in both saves (which were world class saves too) but you go and question even that.

Once i got a ban for using that phrase from Tropic thunder so i will say it like this; "never go......":wenger:;)
I could possibly have a worse opinion on him than you.

Anyway, I've not made anything up, it's a simple observation. You don't believe it to be the case that's fine, but that's how I see it.

Man Utd 2:1 Barcelona

Sylar

Top save. Unlucky with the penalty but did he trip? He put his hand down before diving like he lost balance.

He also got lucky as that pass could have killed the tie. He struggles to kick the ball it seems especially under pressure he can't get it past the half way line. Would rather he kick it long and to the wings rather than aimlessly down the middle.

But that save was good. And crucial

arnie_ni

Thought he did very well at the end there. Rushed Lewa and closed the angle so he could only go across him and it thankfully varane got back in.

Class save from the header.

Absolute meltdown just before half time.

city-puma

Guys, our play has been so much compromised. We can’t play from back. Really need an upgrade.

90 + 5min

Difference in quality between him and Ter Stegen is clear
Agree. One is through and one is not.

DeGea is great keeper and ten Stegen is not that great as people want to make it. Goalkeeper is there to save shots. Not to be great with the ball.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Typical DDG, gives us heartburn with his kicking, but saves the game for us in a moment of brilliance.

Cantonalegod

Yeap, although these days I let gravity do most of the work.

What's your point?
Well the point is that if you look at the replays of the two saves, for the first one as soon as the position developed into a chance he came a couple of steps forward and immediately made the save. There was no time for any other action.

On the second he had managed to get himself into a stationery position, a solid stance, before making the save. The ball was headed down, always more difficult to save.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Just doing what a keeper should do, mostly excellent.

RedMistyDevil

If anything, this thread accurately captures the pressure of being United's #1. Hope the next guy (either next season or eventually in the future) is capable of dealing with it. The constant scrutiny of being a United GK is next level, and I'm not sure some of the names dropped in here who play for lower league teams can step up to the plate.

Baneofthegame

I thought he was good first half outside of the misplaced kick, second half he had some easy outs but kicked it long which was annoying.

Overall was great.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If anything, this thread accurately captures the pressure of being United's #1. Hope the next guy (either next season or eventually in the future) is capable of dealing with it. The constant scrutiny of being a United GK is next level, and I'm not sure some of the names dropped in here who play for lower league teams can step up to the plate.
I'm certain most of them can't. That's where you need deeper scouting of the type we fans can't really engage in, to sus out who has the personality for the step up.

Whatever faults De Gea has, the mental resilience you need to stick it out through good time and bad for 520+ appearances under that level of scrutiny is rare.

kundalini

Almost saved the penalty; decent attempt. Terrible pass straight to a Barca player near the end of the first half; Casemiro rescued the situation. Good save from the header in the 2nd half. Also relatively easy save from Kessie's long distance shot.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The penalty was actually a terrible penalty and him almost saving it isn’t really a credit to him

Sylar

The penalty was actually a terrible penalty and him almost saving it isn’t really a credit to him
I thought it was unlucky on first view but second view I'm certain he either slips , loses his balance otherwise he puts his hand down for some strange reason

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I thought it was unlucky on first view but second view I'm certain he either slips , loses his balance otherwise he puts his hand down for some strange reason
Yeah but it’s a penalty so the odds of him saving it are low and hence I don’t think it’s really a plus or minus either way

Status
Not open for further replies.