David de Gea: I hope I can be here for many more years

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
De Gea said:
“Just to be part of this club is amazing, so imagine to be here for nearly 10 years. It’s like a dream.

“It’s great to play games with this club, so I hope I can be here for [many] more years.”

“I think the whole team improved a lot,” he added. “We were in a good moment. I think we were in very good, top form.

“We didn't concede many goals and, of course, with Bruno he brings a lot of quality. He's a clever player, a top midfielder.

"The team improved with him and it was a pity that everything stopped because we were in a good moment, but hopefully with some players that were injured will be fit when it all starts again, so it will be a good challenge for everyone."
We're in a bit of a predicament if he wants to see out the 5 year contract he signed in 2019.

We have Dean Henderson who we've sent out on loan for the last 5 years who has climbed up from the National League, League 2, League 1, Championship and now is arguably one of the Premier League's best goalkeepers and on the verge of being the England #1.

Would back Henderson if I'm honest.

Skills

Snitch
Football fans are so fickle.

Player wants to leave : abuse for being a traitor
Player wants to stay : abuse for wanting to stay
Player leaves : abuse the new guy for never being as good as prime old guy

Redo91

We're in a bit of a predicament if he wants to see out the 5 year contract he signed in 2019.

We have Dean Henderson who we've sent out on loan for the last 5 years who has climbed up from the National League, League 2, League 1, Championship and now is arguably one of the Premier League's best goalkeepers and on the verge of being the England #1.

I’d certainly have De Gea as first choice for the next season or two. Henderson is still very unproven at PL level and has no experience playing for a club at United’s level. We saw it with Foster who IMO is in the top 5 keepers in the league that he just wasn’t able for the level of scrutiny that comes with playing for United. There’s no guarantee Henderson won’t be the same.

I’d give Henderson a long-term deal and loan him to SU for another season or two. We can review it then. Would be far too soon to go making the change next season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Football fans are so fickle.

Player wants to leave : abuse for being a traitor
Player wants to stay : abuse for wanting to stay
Player leaves : abuse the new guy for never being as good as prime old guy
Not if they are playing at the top of their game, or a very good level.

Its good he wants to stay now, but maybe its not good for the club

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Even noting De Gea's mistakes, he still plays a very good game. Most top keepers make their share of howlers.

Skills

Snitch

Was it good for him to waste his prime at a no-hoper of a club like ours?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Hes under contract till June 2023 i think so probably logical to look at signing an extension this summer perhaps till 2025 with a one year option
Hopefully wont have to pay crazy wages as I don't see too many teams having both the need for a new keeper and a big budget to spend on one

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd back Henderson too. David's contribution to the club through his individual and often match-winning performances shouldn't be understated, it's huge. But it's been a good year or more since we last saw that. I think the dip in form has lasted too long to just be a dip in form. He's still very good, but not among the very best in the world like he once was. Not even the best in the league currently.

Henderson is likely to be England #1 at the next tournament (if Southgate still goes with Pickford, he needs a slap), has continually improved year on year and is desperate to play for us. That said, is he going to want to go on loan for another year or two? Only he can answer that, but it doesn't sound desirable.

I feel confident we won't have another Ben Foster situation with Henderson. Foster was impressive until he started for us regularly, and his confidence crumbled. Henderson appears to have stacks of confidence, and hopefully that will remain if he becomes our #1.

I guess the question is, is Henderson better than current De Gea? Performance-wise I would say yes, but playing for Sheffield United and Man Utd are entirely different prospects.

In an ideal world, it'd be good to see Henderson and De Gea fight it out for the starting spot, but I don't think that has ever really worked with goalkeepers.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Even noting De Gea's mistakes, he still plays a very good game. Most top keepers make their share of howlers.
De Gea has been taking some of their share too. Everton was the last straw for me, his decline has gone on too long and I don’t expect him to start getting better from here on. Last season he cost us a place in the CL, and even that recent mistake against Everton alone could be all the difference in a season that may not be completed.

I hope he can too. It will be great to go back to the old days of competition for places. De Gea has been world class for us but if Henderson progresses ahead of him, we swap.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I’d certainly have De Gea as first choice for the next season or two. Henderson is still very unproven at PL level and has no experience playing for a club at United’s level. We saw it with Foster who IMO is in the top 5 keepers in the league that he just wasn’t able for the level of scrutiny that comes with playing for United. There’s no guarantee Henderson won’t be the same.

I’d give Henderson a long-term deal and loan him to SU for another season or two. We can review it then. Would be far too soon to go making the change next season.
Contracts aren't given they're negotiated between two parties. Why should Henderson sign a long-term deal on the basis of playing for Sheffield United when there's every chance a Champions League side, here or abroad, will want him as first choice? The current position might be repeatable for one more season, but if he's not brought back as first choice at the end of that he'll just let his contract run out.

If a good offer came in for de Gea I would sell him now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Well given he signed a five year contract just last year, it's hardly a surprise that he wants to be here for many more years. The question is how good he'll be. Last season was a nightmare. This season wasn't a nightmare but was still some way off his best form. We'll see what next season brings.

As for Henderson, he's certainly looked good for Sheffield United. There's a hell of a big difference between being Sheffield United's #1 and Manchester United's #1 though, as a slew of goalkeepers who wilted here can attest to. Even goalkeepers like Howard and Foster who went on to have long PL careers ultimately couldn't step up. It isn't an easy gig.

We know De Gea can handle it, having already won a league title with us and been our outstanding player this decade. Maybe Henderson can too but I certainly wouldn't want to depend on him immediately doing so. If and when Henderson does come back I hope it's initially to compete with DDG, so we can see how he handles things first. He's probably better off staying with Sheffield United for at least another season though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If a decent offer comes in for De Gea then sell and replace with Henderson.

If not, I would sell Henderson to Sheffield with a buyback clause in place unless De Gea dramatically declines. He’s got a few more mistakes in him than previous but he’s still a very good keeper. Unless someone bids relatively decent for him I can’t see you selling him.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What a good plan, just when We start to look like a proper team instead of letting them grow together and form chemistry, We need to sell everyone instead.
People never learn. They think just because We have another good young player, We should replace the older one so easily. For them it's as easy as replacing 1 with 0.5 and you end up with 2 because younger player has more time. Years of De Gea saving our arse were forgotten so easily. And He's a GK by the way, not a 40 years old left winger. Go back to FM.

Don't blame anyone if by 2035 the club is still rebuilding. Thankfully, I don't think Ole is that silly.

Hint : Do you NOT remember what happened after Van Der Sar left the club? De Gea was a much better talent than Henderson and guess what happened? We could afford to do that because the squad was great back then. Now? I don't think so.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
De Gea has been taking some of their share too. Everton was the last straw for me, his decline has gone on too long and I don’t expect him to start getting better from here on. Last season he cost us a place in the CL, and even that recent mistake against Everton alone could be all the difference in a season that may not be completed.
I think my biggest concern is that it's gone on mutliple seasons which makes me start wondering where the bad form ends and where the decline begins. Initiallly I thought it was just bad form, this season's been better than last one, and he'd be back to his old self sooner rather than later, now I'm not so sure he'll ever get back to what he once was.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
If a decent offer comes in for De Gea then sell and replace with Henderson.

If not, I would sell Henderson to Sheffield with a buyback clause in place unless De Gea dramatically declines. He’s got a few more mistakes in him than previous but he’s still a very good keeper. Unless someone bids relatively decent for him I can’t see you selling him.
I agree with the first bit, but whilst the second would be best for us I just don't see why Henderson would go along with it when all he has to do is run his contract down a bit more and then likely get an offer from a bigger club than Sheffield United, that actually want him as first choice.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Henderson's plaudits are lets be honest mainly down to the defence in front of him, yes he's made some decent saves but then so has DDG. He's also made a major error (v Liverpool) as has DDG (v Watford and Everton)

Romero also adds a problem given he's the best number 2 in the world. Realistically Henderson should be sent on loan again or sold with a buy back

acnumber9

Or it could be the sitter Ighalo missed in the last minute of that game. A game we would’ve lost but for a brilliant De Gea save in the end.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Excellent to hear. He's a world class keeper.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Legend.
Think Henderson will sold to Sheffield with a buy back clause.

Nikelesh Reddy

Let’s not get too carried away with Henderson.He still has a long way to go before he can even be considered as a potential Man Utd number 1.De Geas had a few blips recently,but I have no doubt in my mind that he”ll be back to his best soon....

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's not true, he made more great saves than great mistakes.

Cassidy

Was it good for him to waste his prime at a no-hoper of a club like ours?
So United is a charity now? The club should do whats best for DDG and not itself?

cyberman

Lets see how well Dean does in our squad before throwing DDG away

Cassidy

I think he is a very good keeper, but I think we need a different type of keeper or a new set of defenders.

Lynderup

Well it's typical isn't it? For the first time in a decade we can actually see the sense in skipping De Gea overseas with Henderson coming through very well. And for the first time in a decade De Gea seems very pleased to stay. Arrrgh...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I agree with the first bit, but whilst the second would be best for us I just don't see why Henderson would go along with it when all he has to do is run his contract down a bit more and then likely get an offer from a bigger club than Sheffield United, that actually want him as first choice.
For sure personally Henderson may be against that but it could be an option that United should perhaps look at if he does want to either be starting at the club or leave permanently. The fact that he has been at the club since 14 does highlight that he'll probably have a lot of love for it plus he's familiar with a lot of the English lads you have.

jem

Or it could be the sitter Ighalo missed in the last minute of that game. A game we would’ve lost but for a brilliant De Gea save in the end.
Which sitter was that? I genuinely don't remember (it all seems so long ago.)

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
For sure personally Henderson may be against that but it could be an option that United should perhaps look at if he does want to either be starting at the club or leave permanently. The fact that he has been at the club since 14 does highlight that he'll probably have a lot of love for it plus he's familiar with a lot of the English lads you have.
Yes, I hope so.

Ekeke

Needs to play better than Ramsdale first

pacifictheme

What a good plan, just when We start to look like a proper team instead of letting them grow together and form chemistry, We need to sell everyone instead.
People never learn. They think just because We have another good young player, We should replace the older one so easily. For them it's as easy as replacing 1 with 0.5 and you end up with 2 because younger player has more time. Years of De Gea saving our arse were forgotten so easily. And He's a GK by the way, not a 40 years old left winger. Go back to FM.

Don't blame anyone if by 2035 the club is still rebuilding. Thankfully, I don't think Ole is that silly.

Hint : Do you NOT remember what happened after Van Der Sar left the club? De Gea was a much better talent than Henderson and guess what happened? We could afford to do that because the squad was great back then. Now? I don't think so.
Ugh, another one who just throws the fm insult out there. Grim.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I suppose one way to put the Henderson dilemma into context is to ask how keen we would be for us to sign him to replace De Gea this summer if he wasn't already a Manchester United player.

I suspect the overwhelming consensus would be that it's definitely too early. No doubt with some irritated by the very thought of us choosing a young British goalkeeper from a small team instead of a more established quality GK for a European side, because that's the kind of complaint people make.

Obviously the fact that we already own him changes that equation massively, particularly the latter part. Spending millions on a player for that role carries more risk than promoting someone already at the club. If he's good enough to get that chance though then he should be at the point where we would be willing to spend big money on him. And in terms of whether he's ready to make the step up to being Manchester United #1 right now, it doesn't change much at all.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
My heart says reward De Gea for sticking with us during our lean years and back him.

My heart also says having England’s number one keeper from our own youth academy is what United should be all about.

My head doesn’t know what to think.

izec

My heart says reward De Gea for sticking with us during our lean years and back him.

My heart also says having England’s number one keeper from our own youth academy is what United should be all about.

My head doesn’t know what to think.
Your head should be thinking to soon replace the declining overpaid number 1 keeper with the young GK from the youth ranks, that is improving year by year.