David de Gea replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Doesn't look like he's gonna sign a new contract and I don't think many will be dissapointed by his departure either.

Personally I'd stay away from Oblak due to the high cost which IMO would be very prudent in our current predicament.

We either give Dean Henderson a shot next season or sign a new Keeper. If the plan is to play the high line, then we need a keeper who has the requisite skills to be adept at distributing the ball to a very good level, and also have the sweeping abilities to anticipate danger and defend the space infront of him.

Onana from Ajax is a keeper that could be of interest to us, due to his all-around abilities.

Maignan from Lille is another very interesting prospect and looks to have the attributes required for a goalkeeper in the modern game.

There will obviously be many other candidates, but I just hope we don't go crazy and give Atletico a £100m for a keeper and neglect other more important positions which have been in need of top quality upgrades for too long now.

Ballist1x

Romero till the end of the season if De Gea wont sign a contract and sell him in January. He's looked bad since a year or two ago now.

SparkedIntoLife

Dominik Livakovic from Zagreb has been mentioned. He's 24 which isn't the youngest for a player plying their trade in Croatia but is apparently shaping up into a top keeper.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
All these paper rumours but I thought Dean Henderson was a pretty obvious choice?

He seems to be doing well so far in the Premier league, no major howlers and a few good saves.

Obviously very young but he's got the right personality to make it here.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Nick Pope has been doing well for Burnley coming into his prime years too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Didn't Ducker report that De Gea has agreed and will sign once the team returns from preseason? I think he will sign extension.

If he leaves then wouldn't mind Maignan or Onana. First preference is to see how Henderson plays in PL, if he steps up then give him chance. If not then look for Maignan or Onana

ovoxo

I thought contract talks are still ongoing? Also isn’t he vice captain? I think he’ll sign a new contract to be honest. Rightly or wrongly.

If he did leave, I don’t mind Henderson being given a go, alternatively Onana would be my choice if we brought someone in.

Raw

Would love us to try Henderson out. See how he does for Sheffield United for the rest of the season and see if he's up to making the step up.

Thing is we really don't need to spend absolutely shit loads on a keeper if the rest of the team actually sorts itself out. We'd let in fewer chances so we wouldn't be as utterly reliant on the keeper as we've been in the past. So far we haven't actually let in that many chances, it's just De Gea keeps on fecking up shots that a keeper of his standard should be sorting out. Give Henderson a chance, ideally if our defence sorts itself out it wouldn't be so daunting for him to fit in.

If we're at the point where we need the greatest keeper in the world to save us every game then we have simply failed.

Bestietom

If he doesn't improve on the form he is in atm, then I would let him off in January. Romero will fit in there no problem.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Doesn't look like he's gonna sign a new contract and I don't think many will be dissapointed by his departure either.

Personally I'd stay away from Oblak due to the high cost which IMO would be very prudent in our current predicament.

We either give Dean Henderson a shot next season or sign a new Keeper. If the plan is to play the high line, then we need a keeper who has the requisite skills to be adept at distributing the ball to a very good level, and also have the sweeping abilities to anticipate danger and defend the space infront of him.

Onana from Ajax is a keeper that could be of interest to us, due to his all-around abilities.

Maignan from Lille is another very interesting prospect and looks to have the attributes required for a goalkeeper in the modern game.

There will obviously be many other candidates, but I just hope we don't go crazy and give Atletico a £100m for a keeper and neglect other more important positions which have been in need of top quality upgrades for too long now.
Yeah, I was, or am, a big Oblak fan but I’d tend to agree with you. The price Atletico would want is crazy and also, Oblak is a bit similar to DDG in terms of being a great shot stopper but not quite as good as the best, with the ball at his feet and sweeping up - based on the little I know of him anyway.

Unless we can get a class keeper with great distribution in, maybe we should give Romero/Henderson a chance.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

That's a huge risk and I don't think it will pay off. Either you are 100% sure that Henderson is good enough to be the United keeper or just don't take a hunch on whether he can be. Bayern did the same after Kahn retired, they tried to be prudent and played their youth products in hopes that they will come good. First Rensing, then Kraft (inbetween Hans Jorg Butt), but after a couple of seasons of conceding unnecessary goals they finally paid big money and got Neuer.

If you're a big club with big ambitions you can't bank of being prudent and expect to be successful all the time. United, with our constant downturn over the past half decade, can't afford to take risks on young players maybe being good enough. There is a long jump between being keeper for Sheffield United and then Manchester United.

wolvored

What about the goalies we already have; Henderson? We also have Romero and Periera. What I am saying is whats the point spunking £70-100 million on a goalie when so many other positions need strengthening before this? Regarding Henderson, why give him another contract if we are never going to give him a chance?

wolvored

That's a huge risk and I don't think it will pay off. Either you are 100% sure that Henderson is good enough to be the United keeper or just don't take a hunch on whether he can be. Bayern did the same after Kahn retired, they tried to be prudent and played their youth products in hopes that they will come good. First Rensing, then Kraft (inbetween Hans Jorg Butt), but after a couple of seasons of conceding unnecessary goals they finally paid big money and got Neuer.

If you're a big club with big ambitions you can't bank of being prudent and expect to be successful all the time. United, with our constant downturn over the past half decade, can't afford to take risks on young players maybe being good enough. There is a long jump between being keeper for Sheffield United and then Manchester United.
Ole has took a risk with James, Greenwood etc and if you dont try them you dont know what you got. We are nowhere near winning the premier anyway so a season or half a season if we can get Henderson back xmas time, isnt going to make much difference.

dev1l

I think it ll be Oblak or Pickford.

Henderson is considered too inexperienced - much also depends on how he performs during his first season in epl

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I personally would opt for Andre Onana. He's still young for a keeper and ticks alot of boxes for a keeper in the modern age. I believe we need a proactive keeper who will not only be a good shot stopper but can command his area to a decent level at the very least. Onana is someone that has shown signs of developing into a fantastic all round goalkeeper and was considered Ajax's 3rd biggest talent after De Jong and De Ligt which just goes to show how highly he's regarded.

Excellent distribution, good command of area, excellent sweeper abilities and also a very good shot stopper with amazing reflexes.

Bestietom

Henderson is considered too inexperienced - much also depends on how he performs during his first season in epl
Everyone forgetting Romero, who had a lot of clean sheets for us when he was called on.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's looked bad since a year or two ago now.
He looked bad in the World Cup one year ago, which surprised everyone. Let's not go too far.
He's had some really poor moments since, but has also had some very good ones, far better than best keeper in the world ever Alisson.

In my opinion we do what we can to get him settled.
The last thing we need right now is another position that desperately needs sorting, and I think we'll find the grass isn't greener unless we sign a world class keeper, which will be harder than ever, and was already pretty hard.

Lots of mentions of Romero stepping up, despite him also having made mistakes and letting goals in he should be saving, but getting a pass for them for some reason.

Roboc7

Don’t see Pickford or Oblak as viable options, would be world record fee for either. Given limitations on what money we have to spend and what is required elsewhere DDG will most likely be replaced by Henderson or Romero.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Where’s my guy Donnarumma? I’d take a punt on him. If not, give Romero a chance with Henderson as 2nd choice?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
If necessary Romero/Henderson is fine with me. I'm not 'done' with De Gea but he hasn't looked tippity top class for a while now, and giving him the big contract he's after looks far less of a no-brainer than it did two years ago.

youmeletsfly

He's still a top5 in the world keeper.

What buggers me is that he is so fecking slow after he catches the ball. If he intercepts a cross he kind of wastes 15 second deciding where to throw or boot it. It is so fecking annoying.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Oblak would be much the same as de gea. Best shot stopper in the league, not too great on the ball or on crosses. I reckon there is a chance he'd adapt poorly to a different league and a side that doesn't sit as deep as atletico do.

romufc

Romero rest of this season then bring Henderson back.
Agreed, if DDG is not going to sign a contract I don't know why he has the captains armband in games.

Bench him as we need to prepare life without him. I would actually retract the contract offer.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
All these paper rumours but I thought Dean Henderson was a pretty obvious choice?

He seems to be doing well so far in the Premier league, no major howlers and a few good saves.

He made one in the last game for Tammy Abrahams goal, however I do think he is a good keeper

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Anything less than Oblak and we're seriously downgrading

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
How is Henderson anymore inexperienced than anything they have in attack? Even Greenwood who is 17 is being considered a reliable squad option these days. If Henderson is good, he is the right age as Rashford or Marital.

Jambalaya

Can we afford a GK in the summer? We need CMs,striker and RW maybe even a LB.Great planing by MR Disneyland.We will be stuck in limbo of rebuilding for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

You mean apart from when he dropped the ball right to Tammy Abraham to knock in?
Aside from a few Hollywood saves I thought he looked nervy versus Chelsea.

minh_loc_xoay

Anything less than Oblak and we're seriously downgrading
Is Oblak good with his feet and can play from the back? Is he also imposing in the box? I think that's the type of modern goalkeeper we should aim for.
A goalkeeper who can launch quick counter-attacks with his distribution would help our attacks also. I remember De Gea hasn't made any assist ever since 2013. It's madness...

Adam-Utd

You mean apart from when he dropped the ball right to Tammy Abraham to knock in?
Aside from a few Hollywood saves I thought he looked nervy versus Chelsea.
He made one in the last game for Tammy Abrahams goal, however I do think he is a good keeper
He didn't drop the ball. Pulisic got to the ball first and flicked it at his hands as he went to catch it. The ball then rebounded off his hands into Abrahams path.

It happened very quickly so it was easy to think it was his mistake - it wasn't.

minh_loc_xoay

He didn't drop the ball. Pulisic got to the ball first and flicked it at his hands as he went to catch it. The ball then rebounded off his hands into Abrahams path.

It happened very quickly so it was easy to think it was his mistake - it wasn't.
It's his mistake for not being fast enough.
That may sound harsh for him. But that's because I have high expectation for the boy. He has the potential to surpass both Peter Schmeichel and Edwin Van Der Sar.

Adam-Utd

It's his mistake for not being fast enough.
That may sound harsh for him. But that's because I have high expectation for the boy. He has the potential to surpass both Peter Schmeichel and Edwin Van Der Sar.
Very harsh. We're talking a split second here, De Gea wouldn't have even gone to try and grab it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is Oblak good with his feet and can play from the back? Is he also imposing in the box? I think that's the type of modern goalkeeper we should aim for.
A goalkeeper who can launch quick counter-attacks with his distribution would help our attacks also. I remember De Gea hasn't made any assist ever since 2013. It's madness...
Onana would actually improve our team more than Oblak IMO.

settembrini

If Henderson has a good season then he'll be given a chance with Romero as cover/competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.