David de Gea replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dev1l

You mean apart from when he dropped the ball right to Tammy Abraham to knock in?
Aside from a few Hollywood saves I thought he looked nervy versus Chelsea.
In the euro U21 championship during England game vs Romania he was even worse. He was having a very good game then he seems to switch off..

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's still a top5 in the world keeper.

What buggers me is that he is so fecking slow after he catches the ball. If he intercepts a cross he kind of wastes 15 second deciding where to throw or boot it. It is so fecking annoying.
He isn’t. He’s an average keeper now.

Couldn’t care less if he left, beyond mild annoyance that we didn’t do it this summer and get a cheque for it.

romufc

He isn’t. He’s an average keeper now.

Couldn’t care less if he left, beyond mild annoyance that we didn’t do it this summer and get a cheque for it.
DDG is not a top 5 keeper anymore. The likes of Ederson, Allison, Oblak, Ter Stegen have all overtaken him because they have adapted to modern football.

DDG has relied on quick reflexes, he is struggling to make simple saves like V Palace.

A player like him can come out and talk about United's lack of ambition but he is part of the reason we have dropped so many points.

Codie

Sell DDG in Jan if he hasn’t signed. I think between Henderson and Romero we would not be in any worse state than we are atm (with DDG not performing at a top top level these days)

Hopefully they work out and if not then we look for a new keeper, Onana preferably.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If Henderson has a good season then he'll be given a chance with Romero as cover/competition.
If DeGea is leaving then we need to start doing the leg work now with agents and clubs rather than waiting. Otherwise we will be chasing our tails again next summer

settembrini

If DeGea is leaving then we need to start doing the leg work now with agents and clubs rather than waiting. Otherwise we will be chasing our tails again next summer
Sure. We should always be scouting and developing relationships with players and their agents who might be of interest to us in the future.

United58

If Henderson has a good season with Sheffield, I'd love to see him get a chance. His mentality is fantastic, a real leader in the dressing room even at his age and he loves the club

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
For me, it has to be a keeper with PL experience. We are in such a mess right now, we can't give a keeper a season or two to bed in (as we did with DDG). So, it has to be Butland, Kasper Schmeichel or (possibly short-term) Romero. None of whom are world-class but not sure there are many available who are... The definite NO's for me: Pickford, Forster, Navas, Stekelenburg

Castia

I’d honestly give Romero a shot at being first choice with Henderson fighting for a spot.

For me, it has to be a keeper with PL experience. We are in such a mess right now, we can't give a keeper a season or two to bed in (as we did with DDG). So, it has to be Butland, Kasper Schmeichel or (possibly short-term) Romero. None of whom are world-class but not sure there are many available who are... The definite NO's for me: Pickford, Forster, Navas, Stekelenburg
Really? He hasn't been very good lately.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Think Woodward would be happy with this as I think he would be reluctant to fork out the cash for someone like Oblak €120m.
Woodward does what he's told by the owners and he's doing a great job for them.

Oblak for €120m would also represent a awful piece of business considering we require multiple upgrades in midfield and attack. He also isn't a very rounded keeper and we would be better served signing someone with a more rounded skillset.

theklr

In my opinion Romero is more than good enough. And also, the money saved on not getting a new keeper/selling DDG/saving wages , enables getting a better player in a position which is much more dire (midfield/RW)

Eric's Seagull

Woodward does what he's told by the owners and he's doing a great job for them.

Oblak for €120m would also represent a awful piece of business considering we require multiple upgrades in midfield and attack. He also isn't a very rounded keeper and we would be better served signing someone with a more rounded skillset.
I agree with the part in bold and that is something which irritates me as they seem to care more about making money than they do about results on the pitch. I agree that €120 would be terrible business as if it happened which I doubt, it would mean that we would end up seriously neglecting the other areas you mentioned. I just used Oblak as an example as I've read we're linked to him.

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

Romero 1st choice with Henderson back up.

We have bigger areas of concern that need urgently addressing more than GK i.e. midfield and attack

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
De Gea/Romero til the end of the season, then give Henderson a shot.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Strange post - why would you even consider Butland,Forster,Sketelenburg :confused:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How have we got into such an absolute mess with our squad.

Even our top 2 quality players in De Gea and Pogba are constantly seeming to be angling for moves, and this is with us having 4-5 other positions that need major upgrades.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Even our top 2 quality players in De Gea and Pogba are constantly seeming to be angling for moves, and this is with us having 4-5 other positions that need major upgrades.
In terms of United everything stink of mediocrity these days. From the owners right to the CEO, the manager and most of our players.

romufc

Happens when you have elite players and are competing with mid table teams. The top / elite players want to win stuff, championships, champions league etc..

bucky

Still the same names for me: Mike Maignan, Walter Benitez, Alessio Cragno, Andre Onana

Lee565

Should have got rid in the summer, would rather had seen Romero or Henderson playing this season over a money grabber that has dropped a few levels, he's barely any better than fabianski over the past 6 months.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Strange post - why would you even consider Butland,Forster,Sketelenburg :confused:
most of them have come up in the media (all in fact, except Forster). and how is it strange... maybe if you read the whole thing

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
most of them have come up in the media (all in fact, except Forster). and how is it strange... maybe if you read the whole thing
Mate - let's not even go there . Which media has linked us to Stekelenburg who is a back up to Pickford who himself is not good enough?

Forster ? Seriously? Who is on loan at Celtic from Southampton ?

Next in line is Butland - I dont even know where to start.

You are just pulling some random names from internet and hence it was weird .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'd like us go sign the young De Gea-like prodigy, but I'm not even sure that there is one at the moment. The last keeper who looked like an emerging all-time great was Donnarumma. However big is his decline, I'd be scared shitless if/when we'll let De Gea go.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Mate - let's not even go there . Which media has linked us to Stekelenburg who is a back up to Pickford who himself is not good enough?

Forster ? Seriously? Who is on loan at Celtic from Southampton ?

Next in line is Butland - I dont even know where to start.

You are just pulling some random names from internet and hence it was weird .
Stekelenburg was rumoured the last time DDG was stalling on his contract (think he was still at Ajax at the time), Butland is England's Number Two (and beter than Pickford for me) and I said I didn't want Forster.... as I said maybe read what I wrote

Drifter

American
So Pogba and now De Gea?. Makes you wonder if there could be a lack of ambition at the club.

bucky

So Pogba and now De Gea?. Makes you wonder if there could be a lack of ambition at the club.
Moving on from both could also be seen as ruthless, since we won't be held hostage by either. I'd rather keep Pogba, but if he intends to leave next summer or doesn't sign a new contract, then we should sell him. Same for de Gea. If we bring in the right replacements, they won't be missed, especially de Gea in his current form.

izec

We wont buy Oblak, he would be the obvious choice. The rest of them i dont care about, give Henderson a chance

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Maybe we should try to get Alexander Nübel from Schalke
Yep, good shout and a realistic option at the position along with Strakosha at Lazio. Strong reflexes, big frame, at the right age in that he will start peaking at United while refining his craft, could be aerially dominant on top of being good on the ground, contract expires in the summer — so hope he doesn't extend with Schalke and Bayern ease up on their reported interest. Slight risk because of his extroverted style, and dunno if he's truly “special” like Neuer or ter Stegen...but he does bear stylistic resemblance to the former!

Couple other options from the younger age groups: Lunin and Plizzari, who were the best goalkeepers at the 2019 U-20 World Cup with Ukraine and Italy. One has Donnarumma ahead of him so Milan might be persuaded to sell, and the other isn't getting chances at Madrid (currently on loan at Valladolid after spending a year at Leganés). Both of them are a bit like De Gea, though — shot stopper extraordinaires, but not the most polished or adventurous sweepers (at least at this moment in time)...if that's the direction we want to go in.

Alabaster Codify7

I'm getting Ben Foster vibes from the Henderson situation. Maybe it's PTSD but I just think we'll bring him back and in 2 seasons we'll be flogging him to a decent but not great PL team and having to spend a fortune on someone else. Obviously, that might not happen but if it does, it hinders us for yet another two seasons. Tough call.

Status
Not open for further replies.