David de Gea replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Henderson for sure. This forum goes a bit OTT on youth at times but he's a genuinely good keeper with at least one year's senior experience under his belt.

Well worth giving a shot too and if it doesn't work out, bring in a better keeper.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm getting Ben Foster vibes from the Henderson situation. Maybe it's PTSD but I just think we'll bring him back and in 2 seasons we'll be flogging him to a decent but not great PL team and having to spend a fortune on someone else. Obviously, that might not happen but if it does, it hinders us for yet another two seasons. Tough call.
Thing is, a keeper like Ben Foster would be fine at a time like the present. It wasn't back then because we were in it to win things.

Same with Tim Howard - a good keeper but didn't suit our mentality.

Irwin99

How good is Henderson's passing? Seems like that's a key factor in the style we want to play -defenders/goalkeepers being comfortable in possession.

davidmichael

Henderson is clearly the plan if De Gea goes and I think with a year of Premier League football under his belt he’ll be in a good position to take that spot, even if De Gea stays I’d alternate between the two to plan for the long term.

Hughes35

Not sure if Henderson is top class but he's clearly a decent keeper so would be given a chance id Dave left. We're actually in a pretty good position because we know that if Dean struggles we have Romero sat there who has never let us down.

GK is least of our worries.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If not Henderson then I'd like to see us go for Donnarumma, kid's still only 20 years old and has experience well beyond his years, I think he'd be brilliant. Only issue is that I believe he's still represented by Raiola.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I'm getting Ben Foster vibes from the Henderson situation. Maybe it's PTSD but I just think we'll bring him back and in 2 seasons we'll be flogging him to a decent but not great PL team and having to spend a fortune on someone else. Obviously, that might not happen but if it does, it hinders us for yet another two seasons. Tough call.
Can't really fault him. He's impressed in every loan spell and league he's played in.

Should at least see how he does at the end of this one.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Thing is, a keeper like Ben Foster would be fine at a time like the present. It wasn't back then because we were in it to win things.

Same with Tim Howard - a good keeper but didn't suit our mentality.
So you'd have the club knowingly embrace the mediocrity then? How on Earth are we going to improve if we settle for mid table players because we're now a mid table side (hyperbole)

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
So you'd have the club knowingly embrace the mediocrity then? How on Earth are we going to improve if we settle for mid table players because we're now a mid table side (hyperbole)
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be happy about it. I'd only be fine with it because I'd rather see us spend the money on a new centre mid and striker first. If De Gea leaves and Henderson performs well this season then I'd be happy seeing him and Romero in contention for the #1 jersey next year. At least for a year. If it doesn't work out, spend big the Summer after.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Posters here determined to turn us into a fully midtable team

Yeah it's brilliant isn't it.

"We don't need a great keeper now because we aren't a great team. An average one will do".

Ed must be genuinely pissing himself at how easy it is to get our fanbase to swallow this stuff.

AaronRedDevil

De gea should get the el and pl matches and united Should give Henderson the capital one and fa cup matches and see how he gets on. If he's that good, it'll save having to spend 80m on another keeper.

poleglass red

Yeah it's brilliant isn't it.

"We don't need a great keeper now because we aren't a great team. An average one will do".

Ed must be genuinely pissing himself at how easy it is to get our fanbase to swallow this stuff.

don't think that's the issue, I think it's the reference to De Gea as "great". He has been, he may well be again, but last season and start of this he has been a long way off great, but still wants astronomical wages.I think there is a thought process amongst fans that we still seriously need to strengthen our outfield players. Getting De Gea's wages off the bill would certainly help with that. There is also a growing realisation within our fans, that De Gea is a great shot stopper when on form, but apart from that isn't great at distribution, refuses to come of his line to either sweep up or collect crosses. Modern keeper role is evolving, as we are as a team that looks to build from the back. We honestly need a DM, a creative midfielder, a striker- I don't think many would argue that. I also feel we need a left back, a centre half and a winger. Ultimately De Gea would be replaced but we've access to good quality keepers that can buy is some time while we strengthen our team.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Posters here determined to turn us into a fully midtable team
Well, we finished 6th place last season.
This season we are in 8th, so technically we are an upper-mid table team.
For us to make progress up the table, the board will need to make their intention clear, that players who think that 8th place is acceptable will be removed and replaced, until we find players who can get us into the top 3.

For the record, our aim is top 4, but the fact Woodward has not planned for us to fail at making top 4.
Last season, he said that our defence is fine....when it clearly wasn't.
This season, he thinks our squad is fine for top 4....which I don't think it is.
Woodward is failing year after year, in his role as DoF and needs to be replaced.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
It’s crazy to think after such a small amount of time he looks as if he’s fallen off a cliff. I felt he was world class and for the last few years was considered thee best in the world. It looks as though Alison and Ederson are better than him now or are rated higher. I still think he’s in the top 5 in the world but he needs to get back to number 1. Forget his distribution. He needs to cut out the mistakes. I also realised when we had Van der Sar his distribution was incredible and actually started attacks and probably had an assist or two.

beingshe7don

It’s crazy to think after such a small amount of time he looks as if he’s fallen off a cliff. I felt he was world class and for the last few years was considered thee best in the world. It looks as though Alison and Ederson are better than him now or are rated higher. I still think he’s in the top 5 in the world but he needs to get back to number 1. Forget his distribution. He needs to cut out the mistakes. I also realised when we had Van der Sar his distribution was incredible and actually started attacks and probably had an assist or two.
Kepa replacing him as Spain's No. 1 says it all. Also, I don't think he deserves to wear the armband. He's too passive and we need someone like Roy Keane or Vidic to give some people a kick up the behind when they are not pulling their weight.

poleglass red

Kepa replacing him as Spain's No. 1 says it all. Also, I don't think he deserves to wear the armband. He's too passive and we need someone like Roy Keane or Vidic to give some people a kick up the behind when they are not pulling their weight.
In the Leicester game there was one bit in 2nd half that highlights De Gea's lack of communication. A ball came across the box and Young under no pressure knocked it out for a corner. He had time to take it down, De Gea was close by him. As soon as he played the ball Young turned to De Gea and pointed at his ears to say give me a shout. He has to give Young a shout there, we are only 1 nil up, conceding corners and we have a backline and a keeper notorious for not dealing with crosses well. Outside of Maguire we aren't strong in the air. I'd say Maguire will be our future captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.