David De Gea

Jaxa

"Be careful for what you wish for" rings in my head when people want to get rid of De Gea so quick,

I agree with the sentiment that he probably needs a new club to reinvigorate his career as he is and has been in his comfort zone for too long it's actually lowered his quality and focus as a keeper but good keepers are not easy to come by these days, ask Chelsea,

Henderson may be the answer, but we haven't seen any proof of that yet, I think the transitioning for Dave leaving needs to be handled with a lot of care and smart decisions, so were probaby fecked.

CM10

It certainly feels like the right time to let him go. Whether we can shift him with the wages he's on (and whether Solskjaer would even want to) are the questions that remain.

My feeling is we will prioritise other positions this summer and wait until 2022 to make that decision. Realistically I'm not sure there will be a better opportunity than this summer though - especially when someone like Donnarumma is out of contract at the end of the season.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
It certainly feels like the right time to let him go. Whether we can shift him with the wages he's on (and whether Solskjaer would even want to) are the questions that remain.

My feeling is we will prioritise other positions this summer and wait until 2022 to make that decision. Realistically I'm not sure there will be a better opportunity than this summer though - especially when someone like Donnarumma is out of contract at the end of the season.
is Donnarumma better than De Gea? I know he's dropped some clangers over the last 2 seasons but for me he's still one of the top 10 keepers in the world, still levels above the likes of Henderson

Dolf

We are never going to start next season with Henderson as our first XI goalkeeper. If we sell De Gea we are going to buy a replacement and right now i don't see anyone worthy.

Kaos

bsCallout

"Be careful for what you wish for" rings in my head when people want to get rid of De Gea so quick,

I agree with the sentiment that he probably needs a new club to reinvigorate his career as he is and has been in his comfort zone for too long it's actually lowered his quality and focus as a keeper but good keepers are not easy to come by these days, ask Chelsea,

Henderson may be the answer, but we haven't seen any proof of that yet, I think the transitioning for Dave leaving needs to be handled with a lot of care and smart decisions, so were probaby fecked.
No chance. He needs replacing ASAP and Henderson would be no worse. Freeing up DDG wages could help us land a star too.

CM10

is Donnarumma better than De Gea? I know he's dropped some clangers over the last 2 seasons but for me he's still one of the top 10 keepers in the world, still levels above the likes of Henderson
He hasn't been as bad this season as he was last year or the year before but the decline is there for all to see. He hasn't got the monster reflexes which set him apart anymore and his distribution and failure to claim crosses mean we could definitely upgrade.

Whether it's Donnarumma or not is sort of besides the point. I think he would be a sensible option to explore though - young, plenty of experience at a good level and should be pretty attainable if we want him.

largelyworried

In recent times, for sure. Whether he could make the transition to United, with the unusual pressures of this club etc, I don't know. But judging it in terms of performances this season, Donnarumma is ahead.

Donnarumma

Shot Stopping - 2nd in the league (goals prevented compared to xG = +3.5)
Taking crosses - 4th in the league (8.8% claimed)
Sweeping - 13th in the league (0.5 per game)

De Gea

Shot Stopping - 15th in the league (goals prevented compared to xG = -1.1)
Taking crosses - 19th in the league (4.1% claimed)
Sweeping - 16th in the league (0.4 per game)

Being brutally honest, De Gea is not even in the conversation for top 10 in the world any more. Among goalkeepers in the top 5 European leagues who have played at least 10 full games, he's ranked 59th best at shot stopping so far this season.

Reactions: golden_blunder

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

Well I can think of a few without even trying - both at home and abroad: try Kasper or Nick Pope or there's Jan Oblak. And those are just three I reckon could be persuaded to come. There are obviously others at the top of the game who wouldn't (ie Neuer). Rumours starting to circulate (again) about Donnarumma, but I'd be surprised if he came to us.

If Ole does sign a new keeper, Henderson will leave which might leave DDG as No2, which does us no good. If we buy, then one of the youngsters will have to step up...

Last edited:

ShinjiNinja26

Not a chance he'll leave. He will be taking a pay cut anywhere else.
Well in that case it should be made clear to him unless he leaves he’ll be resigned to the bench because his performances in the last couple of seasons have been below par. Time to give Henderson his chance and if we don’t deem him to be good enough then go out and sign a top keeper. You can’t win the big trophies with a liability between the sticks.

Tallis

Not a chance he'll leave. He will be taking a pay cut anywhere else.
I guess we could do something similar to what we did for Sanchez. We pay part of his contract and he gets a longer one from another club.

If we paid Henderson a sign on plus his 100k wages, then what was the point if we don’t trust him to replace DDG.

Those DDG numbers are shocking - even if you account for the fact that statistics can have some biases.

Giggs' right foot

He's almost 24, Henderson. He's probably been promised to get a fair chance to knock off DDG before his contract extension and recall from loan - and so far that promise hasn't been kept, because for every DDG mistake or lack of DDG-action - he's still playing. Henderson's 45 minutes vs Saints, and 90 minutes the game after vs West Ham was only because DDG was injured. Taken that into account, he's only had ONE league game ahead of DDG - I know he made a massive mistake in that one (vs Sheffield) - but it's not like DDG is without these same mistakes, and he's picked every week.

Will be interesting to see what the hell Ole wants to do here - because as the articles mention - £600k a week for fecking goalies is absurd.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I don't think OP says we should play Dean next season and sell DDG. We could sell DDG and sign Oblak or top goalkeeper. 375k p/w for DDG is just way too much as he hasn't been producing the same level as he used to prior 2018. He's just good keeper now not top keeper in my opinion.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just saw Inter’s first goal against AC, I could see DDG getting castigated on here for allowing such a goal, for not challenging for a cross into the goal box just like Donnarumma.

Who knows, it might be time for simply a change of venue for both of them.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...-news-David-De-Gea-Juventus-Bayern-Munich-PSG

I’m not taking it as gospel but could we be lucky enough to offload him ? Those three clubs may well think he simply needs a change of club to reinvigorate himself, personally if we got any fee above £25 million I’d snap their hand off as we’d also get £350K a week off the wage bill too.
No way we would go for him. We already have keepers warming the bench while Neuer plays, it makes no sense whatsoever.

dinostar77

As great as De Gea has been in the past i'd rather let him go and make Henderson the no1. Any of those three clubs mentioned would allow De Gea to win a few league titles that he probably deserves.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd say now is the right time to move him on, but we need to see more of Henderson to prove whether he's got what it takes to be number 1.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This has a likelihood to happen because Henderson wont want to waste his career as a number 2.

Henderson is a type of goalkeeper that gets better with age and experience and he knows it.

I'd say Henderson and Romero is more than enough for a competitive goal keeper spot but it wont happen because we would rather keep de gea over Romero and that's when it gets confusing.

UpWithRivers

There is 0 chance of selling De Gea. Zero. Nil. Nada. No one in their right mind will pay 350 per week. No one. Especially in this covid world. PLus he has 3/4 years on his contract still. That means he goes on a free at best. Which just aint gonna happen. Henderson is in the same boat. No one will pay those wages for an unproven goalkeeper + a hefty fee. We are basically stuck with them both until one of their contracts runs out.

Traub

Getting rid of De Gea is giving me terrible flashbacks to the goalkeeping merry go round we had after big Pete left.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I'm still struggling to grasp how a keeper can go from being the best in the world for several years to his own fans wanting him out at the age of 30.

Zlatattack

Is Donnarumma any good at distrubution and playing as a sweeper keeper? That seems to be the way the game is going nowadays.

croadyman

There is 0 chance of selling De Gea. Zero. Nil. Nada. No one in their right mind will pay 350 per week. No one. Especially in this covid world. PLus he has 3/4 years on his contract still. That means he goes on a free at best. Which just aint gonna happen. Henderson is in the same boat. No one will pay those wages for an unproven goalkeeper + a hefty fee. We are basically stuck with them both until one of their contracts runs out.
Yeah this is the part that some people are failing to grasp

Pablo76

@Rob

They don’t, in general. It’s mainly just the usual “fans” on here who think a slight dip in form and quality automatically relegate him from number 1 in the world to number 59.

As if Dean Henderson is actually better than David De Gea over the course of a Premiership, European and International season.

Redcafe.

Last edited:

Tallis

I think people will take Henderson and pay us a fee. He is only on £100k, which a little high, is not crazy. Chelsea for instance would take him I think.

DDG will have to go on a free.

Threesus

I can only hope that we don’t waste Bruno ‘a prime like we have with Pogba’s and David’s.

DDG will always be the No 1 in my heart. He should retire here at the club as a legend, but looks like it will not be the case. If we are going to replace him, hope dean or whoever else, is up for the task.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A lot would depend on De Gea's thinking too, tbf. Would he be content to just see out his contract mostly sitting on the bench? Would he back himself to regain the number #1 spot from a still-learning Henderson if he was told the latter would begin next season as #1? Or would he actually quite fancy a new club and a new start in sunnier climes, where he would perhaps have a better chance of rediscovering form? It's not like he'd end up at some shite club being payed a pittance.

edgecutter

We are going to have another Sanchez problem with De Gea. His performances haven't been the best and it is time to start blooding Henderson in, but the wages De Vea is on is going to make him very difficult to shift.

iKnowNothing

If the reason a lot of fans want DDG out is his performance, then I sure hope they have a considerable amount of patience with Dean Henderson, because he’s also not bulletproof.

Tallis

If the reason a lot of fans want DDG out is his performance, then I sure hope they have a considerable amount of patience with Dean Henderson, because he’s also not bulletproof.
Agreed.

My two most critical points in favour of Dean are his numbers, which are better than DDG and his wages which are 1/4 of DDG.

Mark Pawelek

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...-news-David-De-Gea-Juventus-Bayern-Munich-PSG

I’m not taking it as gospel but could we be lucky enough to offload him ? Those three clubs may well think he simply needs a change of club to reinvigorate himself, personally if we got any fee above £25 million I’d snap their hand off as we’d also get £350K a week off the wage bill too.
He'll not get £18m/year anywhere else. Like Sanchez, I don't see him leaving. United need to find the saboteur responsible for the De Gea/Pogba/Sanchez contracts and get rid. Funny thing - paying players ridiculous wages doesn't improve their performances here - it seems to make they worse, if anything!

I prefer Henderson to De Gea too; mainly because I think Henderson has does better with crosses, and is more commanding aerially. That doesn't mean I think United will sell De Gea.

Last edited:

Gazza

Coming up on 10 years at the club, it's only natural he would go stale and need a change of scene. I think his time as an elite GK is probably done, though. I can't think of too many GKs of his type who hit their peak later in their careers. Deserves a testimonial, probably won't happen without any supporters to pack the stadium. I could see him staying at least another season as first choice, having said all that. We have too many other areas to fix this summer and Ole is probably happy to have him and Henderson to choose from for another year.

Red_toad

Summer 2023 must be a lot further away in your timeline!

Raredaredevil

I can see Kasper Schmeichel doing a Van Der Sar for us. It will be such a footballing romantic fairytale if he succeeds with us and also end us as a legend. Didn't realize he is already 34. Somehow I always think he is still young in his 20s! My god time flies!