David Luiz

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
David Luiz is an excellent defender for many reasons but he was very often disappointing in the big games:
He didn't do badly in the CL final when he played his heart out despite being rushed back from a hamstring injury. :)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So polarized. Shit he is not. He's not the best defender around, but he's capable of outstanding performances and he gives the team something different. He might cost them a goal here and there, but like someone said, he'll win them points too. He's a character, and there's not too many of those around.

Why do people think it's not a Conte decision? Do they think Roman overruled him on this front??
He's not a Conte type of defender.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Obviously not, but the three defenders you listed are on a different level to Luiz too.
I agree obviously I'm just saying it's bizarre he's the only one that gets that reputation while everyone sweeps their mistakes under the rug. Thiago Silva for example has been directly at fault for about 4/5 goals we've scored against PSG over the past couple of years yet he gets a pass.

The OTT criticism of him is bizarre. People only genuinely remember his bad moments unlike other defenders.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I agree obviously I'm just saying it's bizarre he's the only one that gets that reputation while everyone sweeps their mistakes under the rug. Thiago Silva for example has been directly at fault for about 4/5 goals we've scored against PSG over the past couple of years yet he gets a pass.

The OTT criticism of him is bizarre. People only genuinely remember his bad moments unlike other defenders.
Nah, he's like Titus Bramble, an accident waiting to happen. For what it's worth I think he's a good player capable of some great performances, and I do think the English media were sometimes overly harsh, but I sit and wait for him to do something ridiculously stupid and funny now.

InfiniteBoredom

His problem is that after all these years, he's still playing with his heart rather than head. Same as Rafael. Polarized within his own fanbase, while getting hammered by everyone else.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
PSG fans are rather inclined to say "Our 3rd central defender is now Kimpembe against :mad:

To sum up my view, excellent most of the time (80%) but worrying the rest of the time.

I agree.
Is your team not a bit light on numbers now? At least the CB and striker area. You rely on Cavani up front all season? Who will be the back-up if he us injured? Augustin looks like an exciting talent, but probably not ready yet.
I think you done fine with selling Luiz, but I am surprised that you signed no replacement for him. Marquinhos and Silva is good, but only Kimpembe as back-up? Is he good, don't know much about him :D
I guess it should be good enough for L1, but for your CL ambitions a few injuries could hurt your team a lot.
Midfield, fullbacks and wings looking good though and you have 2 decent keepers.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He didn't do badly in the CL final when he played his heart out despite being rushed back from a hamstring injury. :)
Oh, I have good memories :)

Good acquisition for all the parties!

Please note David Luiz & Marquinhos share the same agent!

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Is your team not a bit light on numbers now? At least the CB and striker area. You rely on Cavani up front all season? Who will be the back-up if he us injured? Augustin looks like an exciting talent, but probably not ready yet.
I think you done fine with selling Luiz, but I am surprised that you signed no replacement for him. Marquinhos and Silva is good, but only Kimpembe as back-up? Is he good, don't know much about him :D
I guess it should be good enough for L1, but for your CL ambitions a few injuries could hurt your team a lot.
Midfield, fullbacks and wings looking good though and you have 2 decent keepers.
Yes we're a bit light at CB and CF.
Kimpembe is really promising but only has 10-15 professionnal starts, after him it's Aurier, Motta or Krychowiak.

Our backup options for the striker position are Jese and Augustin. Ben Arfa also played a bit for us here but it wasn't really convincing.

There's still the january window if needed.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hilarious.
Im serious. At Juventus he had Barzagli & Chiellini (ie 2 Vidic type of defenders) & Bonucci (the closest player there is to our Rio). Conte is the typical old fashioned Italian manager. He won't sleep at night unless his defence is rock solid.

Jaybomb

Luiz is well known for his blunders and if you want the stats Luiz hasn't been better defensively than Evans was last year see the comparisons below, who's probably one of the most underrated players in the PL now.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m...errors_leading_to_goal/blocks/tackles_won#avg
Stats prove feck all. Snodgrass has probably got better stats than Hazard last season... does that mean Snodgrass is the better player?

David Luiz was in the Ligue 1 TOTS last season. Jonny Evans wasn't in the Premier League one.

Look, you're entitled to your opinion and everything but I'm not even gonna waste my time with this debate. It's clearly obvious that Luiz is tiers above Evans in his position.

The fact that Evans left United for 6m and now plays for West Brom and Luiz played for PSG and Chelsea says it all. If Jonny Evans was better than Luiz, then why is he not going for 30-50m? Why is he stuck playing for a team like West Brom? If Luiz is as bad as the English press is making out, then how on earth does he keep getting into these big teams?

I think it's a case of the English press brainwashing the fans once again. Luiz isn't a typical "tough tackling hard man", and he's got crazy hair and an eccentric personality... so he must be a rubbish defender. That's the way the English think. Sky Sports was embarrassing to watch today.

Jaybomb

David Luiz errors get far more criticism than other defenders who make the same error.
John Terry has made countless errors in the past (the slip against Arsenal a few years ago comes to mind)... And Sky Sports didn't materialise it they way they do with Luiz. It's funny how they can manipulate the public and change the minds of some fans.

Luiz was arguably Chelsea's MOTM in the Champions League final a few years back. He was world class in that game.

Sigma

David Luiz errors get far more criticism than other defenders who make the same error.
I kind of agree with you.

I say he makes a few more errors than the average centre back, but because the way he plays, these errors are more noticeable to the average viewer than other centre backs

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Stats prove feck all. Snodgrass has probably got better stats than Hazard last season... does that mean Snodgrass is the better player?

David Luiz was in the Ligue 1 TOTS last season. Jonny Evans wasn't in the Premier League one.

Look, you're entitled to your opinion and everything but I'm not even gonna waste my time with this debate. It's clearly obvious that Luiz is tiers above Evans in his position.

The fact that Evans left United for 6m and now plays for West Brom and Luiz played for PSG and Chelsea says it all. If Jonny Evans was better than Luiz, then why is he not going for 30-50m? Why is he stuck playing for a team like West Brom? If Luiz is as bad as the English press is making out, then how on earth does he keep getting into these big teams?

I think it's a case of the English press brainwashing the fans once again. Luiz isn't a typical "tough tackling hard man", and he's got crazy hair and an eccentric personality... so he must be a rubbish defender. That's the way the English think. Sky Sports was embarrassing to watch today.
The number of defensive mistakes and the number of times you win the ball means eff all? Seriously? Luiz season on season has had far too many defensive mistakes, which resulted in his team conceding. How about the fact he was the heart of Brazil's defense for their 7-1 thrashing? The reason Luiz is highly rated is more due to his physical presence and him been a great ball playing defender than his defending ability.

As for Evans, how about Fergie's opinion that he was the future of United's defense? I suggest looking at West Brom's forum, they consider him their best ever defender. That isn't stats, that's opinions of 1 of the best managers and fans who watch a player weekly.

Every team uses stats btw because they mean very much and not 'feck all'.

John Terry has made countless errors in the past (the slip against Arsenal a few years ago comes to mind)... And Sky Sports didn't materialise it they way they do with Luiz. It's funny how they can manipulate the public and change the minds of some fans.

Luiz was arguably Chelsea's MOTM in the Champions League final a few years back. He was world class in that game.
If we compare number of defensive errors I'm better Terry makes less mistakes even though he's well past it. Terry couldn't cope with a high line as he got older because he was slow but because I hate him that slip was hilarious.

This still hasnt sunk for me. Cant beleive they bought him back
Are you a Chelsea fan?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
he could become our Balotelli

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

If you want to play that game West Brom turned down a major bid from Arsenal and has three PL titles. Plus Luiz is pretty rash himself another weakness of his.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Tonight, BRAZIL will play: 1st game of TITE, the new NT Coach

Alisson -
Alves, Miranda, Marquinhos, Marcelo -
Paulinho, Casemiro, Renato -
Willian, Jesus, Neymar.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think I'm in the minority but I can see him doing well there.

Conte has often played with a back three and that could suit him (i.e. plenty of cover when he steps up into midfield and forgets to come back) - with kante (and / or matic) as cover in front of the defence as well he could do very well

probably still a liability in a back 4 but if Conte switches formation I expect him to do well

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
David Luiz will make the job in the EPL: he knows the club & the league.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Tonight, BRAZIL will play: 1st game of TITE, the new NT Coach

Alisson -
Alves, Miranda, Marquinhos, Marcelo -
Paulinho, Casemiro, Renato -
Willian, Jesus, Neymar.
Renato the former midfielder of Leverkusen? Has his form improved a ton since leaving Germany or is there midfield situation that desperate?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
He's world class for 88 minutes per game.
:lol::lol:

So true! I think of him as a similar type like Hart. At times he can save your ass but at other timer he will be the one who will be guilty of losing the game.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He's world class for 88 minutes per game.
Perfect definition of David Luiz.

I'd say:

- 70 minutes world class,
- 20 minutes average in terms of positioning & accuracy of his passes,
- and 1-2 minutes: no comments

PvsNP

Can't wait to see him against Zlatan and Rashford.