David Moyes... First day unemployed

antsmithmk

Hates women.
It was Moyes' first day off the payroll today, as his 6 year contract came to an end yesterday. Wonder how he got on at the job centre?

Saffron

Wonder how he got on at the job centre?

I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
And heaven knows I'm miserable now

In my life
Why do I give valuable coaching
To players who don't care if I live or die?

IrishRedDevil

The club paid circa £5.5m compensation to him and his shitty Everton staff over 5 years ago, so no he’s hasn’t been on the pay roll since he was sacked.

OlesAtTheWheeeel

Sad day for the club after 6 great years. 6 league titles in a row and 3 champions league, what a smooth ride. Great to see Johnny Evan's lift the title as captain again and RVP sign off in style with his 45th goal of the season.

RoyH1

no way we were paying him all this time. Either he got his money when we fired him, or got paid until he got a manager job.
If we did, then that’s the sweetest deal since Bobby Bonilla.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Should have given him more time. Dont bother quoting me I know this is an unpopular opinion and all but in hindsight he needed more time.

kthanksbye

Should have given him more time. Dont bother quoting me I know this is an unpopular opinion and all but in hindsight he needed more time.
He needed more time? Yes.
Did he do anything to deserve or justify getting more time? No.

Champagne Football

When comparing to fellow dinosaurs, Tony Pulis and Martin O'Neill were unable to make much of an impact in the Championship. I think it's fair to say Moyes would severely struggle in the Championship if he was lucky enough to land a job there again.

Even at Championship level, this type of manager barely attracts interest anymore.

tenpoless

Thank you David Moyes for your hard work and Thank you for breaking records among top European Leagues in the last 6 years :
  • The most crosses (5879)
  • The only team where the top scorer's goals come mostly from header (Fellaini, 7 goals)
  • The most header attempts (Fellaini, 13 attempts against Newcastle)
  • The most number of bird shitting on a player (Ashley Young, 9 times - rumors said that Moyes started releasing pigeons near stadiums in hope that this record will be his)
  • The most roar celebration to the crowd after equalizing 1-1 when the supporters looked like They didn't give a shit (7 times, against Westham)
  • The only manager whose team performed worse year after year (7th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 16 th)
  • The only manager who aspired his team to be like Sunderland because They're strong defensively

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Im confident he would have achieved at least one sixth place finish given enough 100s of millions.

Selbourne

The match against Fulham will always stand out to me. Was so utterly ridiculous watching it live.

stevoc

No he didn't, he needed less time if anything.

Chipper

Adulterer.
He was turned down for job seekers allowance due to exceeding the means-tested cap of having more than £16,000 in savings.

Jordan_mufc

The match against Fulham will always stand out to me. Was so utterly ridiculous watching it live.
I had tickets to that game. Was driving down from London with a few mates and our car broke down on the motorway, somewhere near Crewe.

We ended up sitting in a service station, eating McDonald's, huddled around my phone listening to the live match commentary on BBC Radio 5 Live.

As utterly ridiculous as that sounds, I'm sure watching that game from the stands would've been even more of a absurd experience. :lol:

RoyH1

Never thought I’d see him referenced on this forum.
Although I like the sport, I'm not a baseball guy (live in the wrong continent). But I happened to see a documentary on The New York Mets and it made for very compelling viewing. It makes me feel like we have the best run organisation in sports :lol:

Carolina Red

Staff
Although I like the sport, I'm not a baseball guy (live in the wrong continent). But I happened to see a documentary on The New York Mets and it made for very compelling viewing. It makes me feel like we have the best run organisation in sports :lol:
The Mets are... interesting...

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I know of a Director of Football job with a vacancy....

kthanksbye

It was a new clueless board as well. As per moyes himself fellaini was a last ditch effort we got in. The transfer market was the true failure and that wasnt his fault
He still had a PL winning squad to work with didn't he? Players don't decline overnight. He was dealt a bad hand with the incompetent board, but that does not mean he himself wasn't a massive failure.

Red For Ever

When comparing to fellow dinosaurs, Tony Pulis and Martin O'Neill were unable to make much of an impact in the Championship. I think it's fair to say Moyes would severely struggle in the Championship if he was lucky enough to land a job there again.

Even at Championship level, this type of manager barely attracts interest anymore.

Newcastle I hope.

Moyes. The chairman and the fans I know. All made for each other.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He still had a PL winning squad to work with didn't he? Players don't decline overnight. He was dealt a bad hand with the incompetent board, but that does not mean he himself wasn't a massive failure.
While i don't know the exact circumstances in United's case i have to firmly disagree with the analogy players don't decline overnight. 95% of our double winning squad under Ancelotti did exactly that the following season.

Raw

The most frustrating game I saw at Old Trafford. When we finally went 2-1 up I was absolutely ecstatic, hugging the stranger next to me. Only to then realise it was bottom of the table Fulham that we should have been hammering anyway. Then Bent scored. Feck me.

Lovely hearing how Fulham defenders felt like they were in the Championship with our incessant and easy to defend crossing.

stevoc

While i don't know the exact circumstances in United's case i have to firmly disagree with the analogy players don't decline overnight. 95% of our double winning squad under Ancelotti did exactly that the following season.
No doubt players can decline fairly quickly. But i think theres a difference between going from winning the league by 1 point and then only coming 2nd the following season. As opposed to running away with the league but coming 7th the next year and not even qualifying for Europe. That wasn't solely down to players declining.

Oldyella

The most frustrating game I saw at Old Trafford. When we finally went 2-1 up I was absolutely ecstatic, hugging the stranger next to me. Only to then realise it was bottom of the table Fulham that we should have been hammering anyway. Then Bent scored. Feck me.

Lovely hearing how Fulham defenders felt like they were in the Championship with our incessant and easy to defend crossing.
Yeah, that was peak Moyes I think. Always felt that was players proving a point too. They were good enough to know what they were doing wasn't working but just kept on trying same thing over and over to highlight what we were being coached.

stevoc

It was a new clueless board as well. As per moyes himself fellaini was a last ditch effort we got in. The transfer market was the true failure and that wasnt his fault
It wasn't all his fault sure, but i think at least 70-80% of that clusterfeck of a window can be attributed to Moyes arriving late with an unprepared transfer list short on realistic targets, stupidly wanting to sign players in a certain order and just general indecision and dithering.

This article gives a good insight into Moyes process or lack thereof. Basically it shows he had no 2nd-3rd choice targets and dithered way too much and the club got pissed off and had to step in and decide who we were going to try to sign. The club then went on a scatter gun approach trying to sign 7-8 players on deadline day like DeRossi, Khedira, Coentrao, Herrera etc but only managed to sign one that we could have signed for a lot less weeks earlier.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/name/93/post/1908047/headline

It was clear that Moyes liked Herrera but very specifically said that to make such a huge financial outlay -- his first stellar signing as United manager -- he'd wanted to have much more personal time invested in assessing the player.

He liked him and a year and a half earlier wouldn't have hesitated to sign him, because his scouting of the young Basque midfielder was extremely detailed, but his "eyes-on" work on Herrera had diminished since.

Thus, his ideal position was to scout him for six to 12 months, get to Athletic games personally as well as listen to the United player assessors ... and then act or reject.

A couple of days later I got a text from Moyes to the effect that "the club," i.e. executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, had decided to go "all in" on the last day of the transfer window and to try to pull the deal off.
Dithering Dave

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No doubt players can decline fairly quickly. But i think theres a difference between going from winning the league by 1 point and then only coming 2nd the following season. As opposed to running away with the league but coming 7th the next year and not even qualifying for Europe. That wasn't solely down to players declining.
Despite the 2nd place finish i think we only had a few more points (71) than you did in the Moyes season, iirc you had around 67.

While I'm not clued up a enough on the Moyes era to make a clear judgement it was definitely a sudden decline with our boys, they went from breaking the league's scoring record to barely creating any chances in a match.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Tell me this. Was the vidic and fergie who won the league the same that new season? I'm not going to make excuses. Truth is Moyes failed but personally I think he had too difficult of a task. Fergie knew that squad inside out. Only he could make those players win the league.

So yes, he did fail but you have to take into account the situation.

stevoc

Despite the 2nd place finish i think we only had a few more points (71) than you did in the Moyes season, iirc you had around 67.

While I'm not clued up a enough on the Moyes era to make a clear judgement it was definitely a sudden decline with our boys, they went from breaking the league's scoring record to barely creating any chances in a match.
Its hard to compare points totals across seasons in my opinion. United won the league with 80 points in 2011 but lost it with 89 points the next year.

Some of the players definitely declined under Moyes but there were many other factors in the teams abysmal performances over that season. The squad wasn't reinforced for a start, tactics were off, some players were being misused others over used. Ferdinand, Evra and Vidic were being played 5-10 games in a row when anyone with some sense would realize they should have been rotated given their respective ages and injury problems.

stevoc

Prediction of what could have been:

2014: 7th
2015: 5th
2016: 4th
2017: 3th
2018: 4th
2019: 9th

+trophyless

In all seriousness though i doubt he would have ever finished higher than 5th and even thats optimistic.