David Moyes West Ham Manager (Again) | European Champion

Needham

Well at least he'll have seen the east end again for six months.

iHicksy

It's weird isn't it. It's almost like every other season they have what looks like a great transfer window. Bringing in the likes of Hernandez, Lanzini, Anderson, Yarmelenko, Haller etc. Players that you would look at and think, wow they could be a decent force this season. Yet, every year they go back to relying on players like Noble etc and the new players end up on the bench at the end of the season and then moved on the year after. It's like there's something wrong at the club, no matter who they sign or the calibre of manager the cycle seems to repeat itself.

hmchan

It's weird isn't it. It's almost like every other season they have what looks like a great transfer window. Bringing in the likes of Hernandez, Lanzini, Anderson, Yarmelenko, Haller etc. Players that you would look at and think, wow they could be a decent force this season. Yet, every year they go back to relying on players like Noble etc and the new players end up on the bench at the end of the season and then moved on the year after. It's like there's something wrong at the club, no matter who they sign or the calibre of manager the cycle seems to repeat itself.
That's because the club adopts a wrong philosophy. They want to play technical, possession football too much but that just doesn't suit a midtable side. The likes of Wilshere are never as useful as Kouyate, and the likes of Anderson, Lanzini, Fornals are never as effective as Arnautovic. Moyes proved it once in 17/18 and they made the same mistake again by hiring Pellegrini.

iHicksy

That's because the club adopts a wrong philosophy. They want to play technical, possession football too much but that just doesn't suit a midtable side. The likes of Wilshere are never as useful as Kouyate, and the likes of Anderson, Lanzini, Fornals are never as effective as Arnautovic. Moyes proved it once in 17/18 and they made the same mistake again by hiring Pellegrini.
Yeah I think you've nailed it.

They think they should be playing exciting technical attacking football so buy accordingly. But then the shit hits the fan because that kind of style requires time and patience to implement when trying to get players to buy into and adapt to any philosophy, this usually results in more losses than wins. But, West Ham can't afford that kind of time because they start to drop down the table due to this and end up reverting back to a "safe" pair of hands to keep them up. Those technical players are thrown to the wayside in favour of players that can "do a job" and keep them up. Then once safe, the cycle repeats next season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They're doomed. Weak squad, dreadful manager and their only slight hope is that there are three crapper teams in the league.

Why do teams seem to favour managers who have managed in the top league, even if their results have been pretty mediocre any time in recent history. As opposed to going with fresh up and coming non failure managers? It's baffling.

youngrell

It’s not looking great for them. Under a different manager you’d look at the fixtures and think they’re in a good spot with a few 6 pointers to play.

My neighbour and friend is a Hammer, so would like them to stay up for his sake but it would also be very funny.

hmchan

Yeah I think you've nailed it.

They think they should be playing exciting technical attacking football so buy accordingly. But then the shit hits the fan because that kind of style requires time and patience to implement when trying to get players to buy into and adapt to any philosophy, this usually results in more losses than wins. But, West Ham can't afford that kind of time because they start to drop down the table due to this and end up reverting back to a "safe" pair of hands to keep them up. Those technical players are thrown to the wayside in favour of players that can "do a job" and keep them up. Then once safe, the cycle repeats next season.
Besides United, I've watched West Ham more than any other team in recent years. I oppose the philosophy of playing possession football in a midtable side because it takes plenty of technically gifted players (e.g. Silva) to make that work against stubborn sides in the Premier League, not the quality of Chicharito, Lanzini or Ayew. It just never works even on paper and Fulham relegated for adopting a similar approach.

People love teasing Moyes (understandable though) but I bet most of them don't realize what's happening at West Ham. In 17/18, Bilic gambled on Chicharito to be the main striker and he failed. Moyes then took over, changed the approach, converted Arnautovic to a striker and turned things around. It's a shame his contract wasn't extended and now he was recruited to save the team from relegation again. He's given less time this season, the real battle hasn't even come up yet and people can't wait to mock him already.

hmchan

They played some good stuff early on, but then have got worse and worse.
That's because they were mostly playing sides in the top half of the table. The games they had lost were against Sheffield (8th), Leicester (3rd), City (2nd), Liverpool (1st), Arsenal (10th), Wolves (7th) and Spurs (8th). No one expected them to get positive results from these teams. After the Chelsea game this week, they'll face Newcastle, Burnley, Watford and Villa and these are the teams they need to get points from.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s such a shit manager how does he keep getting PL jobs??

He’ll get sacked in the summer & show up at someone like Southampton next season. It’s so predictable.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is awful, but he will survive because Villa chose to stick with Dean Smith. I can’t believe I will have to watch and hope for a Moyes win in their next game. It feels awful just thinking about it.

edcunited1878

Could give two fecks about Moyes, but West Ham will never go anywhere but down or hang around the bottom of the table until they get a functioning centre midfield pairing or trio that can all pass, work together and dictate more.

A Mark Noble and Declan Rice pairing doesn't do anything. Might as well not play a central midfield if that's what you're rolling out.

Hope they go down again and Moyes stays down with them.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This made me chuckle from KUMB, talking about Antonio at CF:
Somehow I can visualise that perfectly, morbidly surprised Moyes sitting in a slowly sinking car and wondering what went wrong.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
The shiteness of Villa and Bournemouth so far should save West Ham, but it’ll be interesting to see if they can actually do anything to save themselves in terms of getting themselves some results. We know that they’ll throw everything at the United game, but can they get anything from the other remaining games? Or will they just rely on Villa and Bournemouth to save them from relegation?

Honestly the league would lose nothing from relegating like five teams right now.

Last edited:

stevoc

I was hoping West Ham would beat Chelsea tonight but i had genuinely forgot Moyes was managing them again. Now i feel dirty.