David Moyes West Ham Manager (Again) | European Champion

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I am 100% sure Utd would be in a better shape had that kept their nerve and let him do his thing for longer. He got the sack after 9 months. Not saying he would have brought Utd titles but the club would be better off.
Arguable. It depends on who you think he would've brought in. That summer after he was sacked, Van Gaal came in and brought in Di Maria, Falcao, Blind and a couple of others. It didn't work out but you wonder who Moyes would've been able to attract at that time. Maybe he would've targeted players more suited to how he wanted to line up?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If he finished 5th-7th he would 100% still be sacked.
This doesn't correlate with the reality of what actually happened. He was supported to the nth degree here until it became impossible to stand by him. Fans had "your job now is to..." fresh in their minds from Fergie's valedictory speech. Even on here, he was given a pretty long leash when it came to his settling in period and very few gave him the 'middle finger approach' as you call it.
Yeah I know but I also felt that Moyes felt the pressure of taking over SAF at the club and the Club had the ambition and mindset of a SAF club.

We are not like that now. People are saying we are closer resembling Arsenal.

If Moyes took over Ole instead I think he would be in less pressure and maybe would have done better.

I don't rate him highly or anything- the only reason I feel like I kind of wonder a bit is because I contemplate what exactly did SAF see in him by choosing him as the manager to take over him.

always_hoping

Goes to show what can be achieved against a team that's better than you when your group of players deliver intensity, heart, effort, passion and pure desire. The very opposite of Man Uniteds players yesterday.

arthurka

Arguable. It depends on who you think he would've brought in. That summer after he was sacked, Van Gaal came in and brought in Di Maria, Falcao, Blind and a couple of others. It didn't work out but you wonder who Moyes would've been able to attract at that time. Maybe he would've targeted players more suited to how he wanted to line up?
He would have gotten players that fitted him to a tee. Strong, fast and disciplined.
Not sure Mata was his pick.

Gazza

Yeah I know but I also felt that Moyes felt the pressure of taking over SAF at the club and the Club had the ambition and mindset of a SAF club.

If Moyes took over Ole instead I think he would be in less pressure and maybe would have done better.

I don't rate him highly or anything- the only reason I feel like I kind of wonder a bit is because I contemplate what exactly did SAF see in him by choosing him as the manager to take over him.
I mean, I can definitely agree with the point that Ole has lowered expectations to the point that Moyes would have less pressure on his shoulders if he were to come in now than we when he got the job, but that surely just proves the point: a West Ham or an Everton is his level and he doesn't have the mindset to manage a bigger club. No shame in that.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Not sure what the point of this post is? Moyes is a fantastic manager, just not at United's level. Sacking him was 100% the right decision.
Not at united’s level? He was put in an impossible position 9 yrs ago. 9 yrs later after learning quite a bit and putting in the time he is easily at united’s level at this point in time. He wasn’t at their level in 2013. He would be challenging with united‘s squad easily right now. Then again there is at least 5-6 mgrs right now who would.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Not sure what the point of this post is? Moyes is a fantastic manager, just not at United's level. Sacking him was 100% the right decision.
The point of the post was to:
1. Point out he is suprime level and a good fit for United.
2. Thathe needed time but we didn’t allow it which is hunting us to this day.
3. That there are still idiot fans out there that don’t realize this and will find excuses when it is pointed out.

Reddevildans

Steady manager for a midtable club. Yes he's got west ham playing well but come on, there's still 2/3 of the season left. I think there's a stat that he's never won at a top side away from home in his career in the league. A career that spans what? 20 years?

Also not a fan of his football. Bit outdated. His crossing and set piece football would actually work with Ronaldo and Cavani in the box but the emphasis to be hard to beat etc just doesn't cut it at a big club where we need to be on the front foot. Is he a better manager than ole? Ofcourse..because he's got a game plan and gets the best out of what he's got. But he's not a Manchester united manager and never was.

Gazza

No different to anyone else that tried.
LVG clearly had an image. Mourinho had one even though it was misguided. Also if your point is just that Moyes did an equally terrible job to those two, then sure but it doesn't make him any less unsuited to the United job.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
That first West Ham goal is so funny, especially the reverse angle slow motion Replay.

Corner comes in
Ogbonna jumps
Alison misses
Alison and Ogbonna fall
Ball hits the back of the net
Antonio face plants to the floor :lol:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Not at united’s level? He was put in an impossible position 9 yrs ago. 9 yrs later after learning quite a bit and putting in the time he is easily at united’s level at this point in time. He wasn’t at their level in 2013. He would be challenging with united‘s squad easily right now. Then again there is at least 5-6 mgrs right now who would.
He is 58 years old, failed at his only ever big job, and then failed in his next two jobs after that.

Doing well at West Ham doesn’t mean he is at United’s level. It just means United have one of the worst managers possible in control right now. Moyes still isn’t United’s level, and you wouldn’t have him at Liverpool either.

stevoc

Yeah maybe he would have done better than he did in 2014, maybe he would have done worse who knows. But regardless if he finished outside the top 4 he would have been sacked just like he was in 2014, just like LVG was in 2016 and just like Jose got sacked in 2018 when it looked like he was headed towards finishing outside the top 4.

MUFC OK

That question he returned in that interview was brilliant. He’s clearly enjoying this journey with WHU.

Had to laugh had Wilshires Ole-esque analysis that they ‘run, tackle and counter attack’, would he consider a career in management??

Last edited:

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
The chosen one indeed. In a parallel universe David has United humming along as a 21st century version of SAF. Those first 4 seasons were rough though.

LawmanMan

Patronise Moyes and West Ham at your peril. They fill a stadium of 60,000 and have the potential to be a real force. They have always been a soft touch, but that looks to have gone now.

Moyes has the potential be a legacy manager for them like Robson at Ipswich, Busby for us and Shankly at Liverpool.

it is easy to scoff now, but Moyes groomed by Jim McLean and Sir Alex.

A billionaire is now looking to plow money in, so this could develop into a very interesting story.

You have to wonder how high Moyes could have taken Everton, as they were always hampered by economics under his watch.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
As of 2021, saying "Moyes In", doesn't sound ridiculous anymore, unlike in 2014-20.

It seems we should have given him the 3-4 years, not to Ole.

MUFC OK

As of 2021, saying "Moyes In", doesn't sound ridiculous anymore, unlike in 2014-20.

It’s a tough one, with hindsight maybe, but we had no idea how far we ‘should’ have been willing to fall, 7th seemed an absolute disaster and in many ways that was, but we had no case study of a manager leaving a dynasty in recent times to compare too. It certainly felt overdue by the time we sacked him.

In fairness, Ole took us to 3rd and 2nd, despite the mitigating circumstances of those two seasons and deserved to start this season as manager. He is now overstaying his welcome though and undoing all of the good work he had done prior.

BorisManUtd

One thing is sure, of all our ex-managers still in the game, he's easily the best atm. LvG was out of job for 5 years before Holland came with an offer and Mourinho still continues to decline it seems.

I'm happy for Moyes, no doubt it was tough for him after United, tried in Spain, then with Sunderland, West Ham first time, now again and it's best he's looked since his Everton days. Well done to him, improved and worked on himself and gets his rewards for it. And mentioning Everton, apart from that really good 2013/14 season under Martinez, so far they were worse in any season then under Moyes. Wonder if they'd want him back now or there's still dislike like there seemed to be back in 2014?

MUFC OK

He had 3 more points than Ole has this season, after 11 games with us.
I’m not at all surprised that we’re on track for a comparable season to 13/14 based on what I’m seeing so far. When did we sack Moyes again?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I mean, I can definitely agree with the point that Ole has lowered expectations to the point that Moyes would have less pressure on his shoulders if he were to come in now than we when he got the job, but that surely just proves the point: a West Ham or an Everton is his level and he doesn't have the mindset to manage a bigger club. No shame in that.
Yep, it will be like when Roy went to manager England after doing fantastic at West Brom. All the flaws that exposed him at Liverpool crept up again.

Moyes is fantastic at what he does, i know it will be easier said than done if a top team comes calling again but he should stick to the level he thrives at this time.

LawmanMan

Steady manager for a midtable club. Yes he's got west ham playing well but come on, there's still 2/3 of the season left. I think there's a stat that he's never won at a top side away from home in his career in the league. A career that spans what? 20 years?

Also not a fan of his football. Bit outdated. His crossing and set piece football would actually work with Ronaldo and Cavani in the box but the emphasis to be hard to beat etc just doesn't cut it at a big club where we need to be on the front foot. Is he a better manager than ole? Ofcourse..because he's got a game plan and gets the best out of what he's got. But he's not a Manchester united manager and never was.
They are the third best league side in the calendar year, so it’s not just a third of a season.

He has actually won more points than the much-hyped Rodgers in the league over the full term of his second spell and they are fighting on three fronts at the moment. They put both us and Man City out of the cup, and are top of their group in Europe.

Fact is, he would be favourite for the United job at the moment if he wasn’t a former manager.

LawmanMan

It’s a tough one, with hindsight maybe, but we had no idea how far we ‘should’ have been willing to fall, 7th seemed an absolute disaster and in many ways that was, but we had no case study of a manager leaving a dynasty in recent times to compare too. It certainly felt overdue by the time we sacked him.

In fairness, Ole took us to 3rd and 2nd, despite the mitigating circumstances of those two seasons and deserved to start this season as manager. He is now overstaying his welcome though and undoing all of the good work he had done prior.
Ole’s record is cash doped to the max. The amount of money he has wasted is nothing short of disgraceful.

LawmanMan

Yep, it will be like when Roy went to manager England after doing fantastic at West Brom. All the flaws that exposed him at Liverpool crept up again.

Moyes is fantastic at what he does, i know it will be easier said than done if a top team comes calling again but he should stick to the level he thrives at this time.
Roy’s “flaws” are overstated. He was excellent at Inter when Serie A was the best league in the world.

Last edited:

LawmanMan

Sure, like 50 years ago
Brilliant at Fulham and WBA. Rescued his boyhood club Palace. He went into Liverpool at the height of their ownership problems and paid the price.

His overall career is one of a top manager. Not legend class, but very good.

BorisManUtd

After 20 years of constant success under Fergie we were spoiled with success so much that Moyes season was a catastrophe. Out of League Cup in semis vs Sunderland, out of FA cup at the very beginning at home to Swansea, 0/12 points vs City and Liverpool with 1-11 goal difference, numerous negative records at OT broken. Only positives about that season was our away record against 'smaller' teams and CL campaign as we got out of group in style and made Bayern work hard to knock us out. But at time the pressure on him was too big and he was probably never going to survive it.

Perhaps Moyes gets another chance at top club and proves us wrong but it seems like he's much more comfortable at teams like West Ham.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's not surprising he's doing well at West Ham. Clubs like Everton and West Ham are perfect platforms for Moyes' brand of pragmatic football. He has enough resources to bring in quality, but doesn't feel compelled to play expansive football. Surrendering possession and playing compact against decent opposition simply can't be the long term game plan at the biggest clubs. Ole did it to great effect at the beginning of his tenure, but he too was pressured to play a more expansive game, and it's unravelling for him. The same will apply to a lot of the players currently excelling under Moyes. Demand more of them and they'll struggle.

TheMitz

I wonder if the Liverpool fans still have the "David Moyes is a football genius" banner.

I'm pleased he's doing well, just the wrong person at the wrong time for us.

Guy Incognito

Moyes is a clown no way will they finish top 4.
He finished in the top four with Everton so he knows what it takes to get West Ham up there. Funnily enough after 11 games, Everton in 2004/05 had the same points total as West Ham do now (23).

But the competition is much tougher and Everton struggled the following season. Can see West Ham's form dip after the international break, some tough games.

GMoore23

He's a good manager, The first manager in after Sir Alex was always going to be in for a rough ride and ultimately, he wasn't given enough time.
He took over a squad with a lot of big egos, most of them past their prime to boot which was always going to be a recipe for disaster.
If we'd have given him more time, he may have been a success once he replaced the hierarchy of Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra and Giggs.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I spent years disliking him but I’m pleased for him. Hope he wins the league cup.