David Moyes West Ham Manager (Again) | European Champion

lsd

The Oracle
They had one shot on target against us
Has he not seen any other teams against us, especially at old Trafford

He basically came for a draw and a chance of a set piece or something. Weird

He is a coward I really will never understand why we hired him. I knew from the very start he would be a disaster.

You can tell he just doesn't have it in him to succeed at the highest level

TheReligion

Abusive
Appreciate the overlap with the current Zouma thread however Moyes and the club getting a lot of stick for playing Zouma and being slow to act.

Thoughts?

LawmanMan

Appreciate the overlap with the current Zouma thread however Moyes and the club getting a lot of stick for playing Zouma and being slow to act.

Thoughts?
Sir Alex would have played him. He put the good of the team before PR considerations. It was an old school thing to do and not everyone will agree but it is the sort of ruthless decision you make if you want to succeed.

TheReligion

Abusive
Sir Alex would have played him. He put the good of the team before PR considerations. It was an old school thing to do and not everyone will agree but it is the sort of ruthless decision you make if you want to succeed.
I don’t agree. I think he would have sat out given the storm in the media.

The club is getting battered today

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's not really Moyes' job to bench otherwise available players because of PR concerns. Someone at West Ham should have made sure he didn't start - but unless I'm missing something, Moyes doesn't run the whole club.

That said, it would've been very refreshing to see someone take a stand that isn't 100% predictable for once: he could have said "I have two cats at home - and so, feck this bastard, he certainly isn't starting this one."

SambaBoy

I think it was the right decision to play him.

Ultimately if he was left out, and then returned at the weekend, he/the club would get stick for him playing. Best to get it out of the way early and in the heat of the moment rather than letting it build. There will be talk for the next week but then it will be back to the norm after that. Realistically, he's not going to drop him for a significant period of time and considering he's one of their best players, you may as well use him.

stevoc

Of course Moyes wasn't going to drop Zouma as a public show of discipline. That would have required a bit of character on his part and he wasn't going to risk being criticized for it had they lost.

MiceOnMeth

It's not really Moyes' job to bench otherwise available players because of PR concerns. Someone at West Ham should have made sure he didn't start - but unless I'm missing something, Moyes doesn't run the whole club.

That said, it would've been very refreshing to see someone take a stand that isn't 100% predictable for once: he could have said "I have two cats at home - and so, feck this bastard, he certainly isn't starting this one."
... And then play him next week?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
... And then play him next week?
Well, things have happened in the meantime (his pets have now been seized). I guess the next step would be to make him commit to some kind of education program.

Anyway, it would have been a plausible decision to leave him out of the squad until more was known about where his case stands.

One could also add - not that it matters from a moral viewpoint - that it would have been the obviously right call from a PR perspective.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Isn't it amazing how suddenly the sponsors are speaking out, now they're talking about taking action?

money over everything.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

Better than saying he's an "animal lover", beastiality's even worse than violence....

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
:lol: good point
Not really.

What we're talking about here is the initial reaction. The signal effect, if you will.

Nobody presumably expects the player to be either beheaded on Trafalgar Square - or banned from football for life.

What many did expect, though, is some kind of reaction from his employer. There effectively was none - he was allowed to carry on as normal.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not really.

What we're talking about here is the initial reaction. The signal effect, if you will.

Nobody presumably expects the player to be either beheaded on Trafalgar Square - or banned from football for life.

What many did expect, though, is some kind of reaction from his employer. There effectively was none - he was allowed to carry on as normal.
Absolutely agree

90 + 5min

I wonder where the red line goes for not picking a player. For Moyes that is. One thing journalists should ask him. Is it football and Premier League position over everything in life?

Cloud7

Moyes is a spineless coward. We know this since his time at United when he picked RVP because the media would have asked him why he didn't.

LawmanMan

Moyes is a spineless coward. We know this since his time at United when he picked RVP because the media would have asked him why he didn't.
A weird point - dropping him would have been by far the easier call.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He’s doing an outstanding job.

West Ham are a great team to watch these days and everything we aren’t: technical, hardworking, aggressive and difficult to beat.

I’m absolutely delighted for Moyesey.

LawmanMan

He’s doing an outstanding job.

West Ham are a great team to watch these days and everything we aren’t: technical, hardworking, aggressive and difficult to beat.

I’m absolutely delighted for Moyesey.
Interesting to see this thread has 40 pages and Lego Pep has more than three times that. He has been nothing short of brilliant for West Ham.

Had we stuck with Moyes we would have been miles ahead where we are now. But then, fans know more about football than Alex Ferguson!

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
That would be near impossible - West Ham winning the Europa. Barca should easily wipe all competition even if they have been less than convincing in Europe.
There’s 8 sides left - it’s not nearly impossible at all. They’re a good side who have beaten Liverpool and Chelsea this season who are both far better than Barcelona and they have just knocked out the team second in La Liga.

RVN1991

Interesting to see this thread has 40 pages and Lego Pep has more than three times that. He has been nothing short of brilliant for West Ham.

Had we stuck with Moyes we would have been miles ahead where we are now. But then, fans know more about football than Alex Ferguson!
No we wouldn't have, he's had a great renaissance, but lets not pretend he wasn't terrible for years after leaving United, we'd still have the Glazers and Woodward in charge, doubt he lasts more than two seasons had he been given more time.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

We also know that he wasn't fergusons first choice. Neither was he second, third or fourth.

Get back into reality, old timer.

LawmanMan

We also know that he wasn't fergusons first choice. Neither was he second, third or fourth.

Get back into reality, old timer.
Fergie had it planned for years. He had groomed him for a long, long time (which may explain Moyes’ funny walk), no matter what he says these days.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Fergie had it planned for years. He had groomed him for a long, long time (which may explain Moyes’ funny walk), no matter what he says these days.
Not really. Ferguson wanted Mourinho, Klopp or Guardiola, they just weren’t available. Fergie isn’t an idiot, he knew we needed a top quality manager to succeed him to remain competitive but the timing of his departure was just awful with all the top managers being completely unavailable.

He basically got the job because he was available and had Premier League experience, doing decent job on limited budget with a mid-table team punching above its weight. These appointments very rarely work out and this one was the worst any top club did in the last two decades.

Last edited:

marktan

They need to sign some players though, they play the same first XI every match and that will catch up to them.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They need to sign some players though, they play the same first XI every match and that will catch up to them.
They are in a tricky position now where they are way too close to top 4 and at the same time to close to dropping out of European spots altogether to go light in the league, but at the same time Europa League is probably their best shot at securing Champions League football for next season.

I don’t really have much trust in Moyes being able to win the trophy seeing as he hasn’t won a single one in his entire managerial career though.

stevoc

Any day. Rodgers cannot sustain his good spells. Moyes actually builds and improves like the old time managers. Fergie, Busby, Shankly, Clough, Robson and the likes.
Pity for him he didn't do it at United, Sociedad or Sunderland.

At the end of their respective careers who do you expect will have won more trophies Moyes or Rodgers?

LawmanMan

Not really. Ferguson wanted Mourinho, Klopp or Guardiola, they just weren’t available. Fergie isn’t an idiot, he knew we needed a top quality manager to succeed him to remain competitive but the timing of his departure was just awful with all the top managers being completely unavailable.

He basically got the job because he was available and had Premier League experience, doing decent job on limited budget with a mid-table team punching above its weight. These appointments very rarely work out and this one was the worst any top club did in the last two decades.
That’s the line they trotted out when it didn’t go to plan. Fergie had a unique relationship with Moyes that went back to the start of his managerial career.