David Moyes West Ham Manager (Again) | European Champion

beer&grill

Level on points with United after 8 games with an inferior squad. Clearly not fit to clean Ole’s boots though.

LawmanMan

Level on points with United after 8 games with an inferior squad. Clearly not fit to clean Ole’s boots though.
My favourite is when people say Ole will leave the team in a better condition. Imagine what Moyes would have bought with 100s of millions. Given the players Moyes was after, and his overall transfer record, it is not much of a stretch to say we would have won a fair few honours.

Ole has failed to get the best out of what he has been given.

DreadnoughtRS88

The stick David Moyes gets here as well as among football hipsters is pathetic. He is an excellent coach and has done a good job wherever he's managed apart from United. People say Sociedad was a failure for him, but they were a mess prior to his arrival and if nothing he stabilised what was a pretty poor squad. United - well, let's just say Jose and Van Gaal didn't perform much better. If he'd been backed as Solskjaer has been, I am sure we would have a better style of play (just look at West Ham, they play great, expansive football) and would probably have won a trophy so far.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
People say Sociedad was a failure for him, but they were a mess prior to his arrival and if nothing he stabilised what was a pretty poor squad.
No they didn't, the squad wasn't poor and they just regressed under him and did better once he was sacked.

Flexdegea

My favourite is when people say Ole will leave the team in a better condition. Imagine what Moyes would have bought with 100s of millions. Given the players Moyes was after, and his overall transfer record, it is not much of a stretch to say we would have won a fair few honours.

Must have missed buying felliani and wasting whole summer trying to buy Baines.

Seriously the trolling too obvious round here these days

stevoc

You'd definitely tear a few ligaments stretching that far mate, be careful eh.

Moyes got even less out of what he had handed to him.

DreadnoughtRS88

Must have missed buying felliani and wasting whole summer trying to buy Baines.

Seriously the trolling too obvious round here these days
I would still say ignorance and short memory are more prevalent here than trolling, as your post shows. He only bought Fellaini because the club failed to sign Kross, Bale and Fabregas. They even failed to bring in Coentrao on loan on the last day of the transfer window. Nothing more to add.

DreadnoughtRS88

No they didn't, the squad wasn't poor and they just regressed under him and did better once he was sacked.
Here is the team of world beaters below. I forgot to mention the Icelandic hotshop, the North Pole's Alan Shearer - Finbogasson. Give me a break. How old are you?
  • Rulli
  • Martínez
  • Ansotegi
  • Martínez Berridi
  • De la Bella
  • Bergara
  • Granero
  • Prieto Argarate
  • Canales
  • Castro
  • Vela

Flexdegea

I would still say ignorance and short memory are more prevalent here than trolling, as your post shows. He only bought Fellaini because the club failed to sign Kross, Bale and Fabregas. They even failed to bring in Coentrao on loan on the last day of the transfer window. Nothing more to add.

Ignorance of what? I lived thru Moyes.

He was easily our worse manager since Fergie. Not sure you need short memory and Ignorance to know this.

Anyone bigging up Moyes as a united manager is flat out nutz, and hilarious :lol:

You not get me bigging up our board at all, but Moyes bought fellaini, tried to buy Baines all summer, knocked back thiago, and then bought Mata..............all while controlling a title winning squad and failing miserably because a catalog of issues mostly around his management or lack of it. Sounds like you got selective memory.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Probably the closest set of players he's had to what he created at Everton.

Not sure West Ham will finish as high as last season though, they've struggled in a few Sunday games already.

Darlington Padgett

He was easily our worse manager since Fergie. Not sure you need short memory and Ignorance to know this.

Anyone bigging up Moyes as a united manager is flat out nutz, and hilarious :lol:

You not get me bigging up our board at all, but Moyes bought fellaini, tried to buy Baines all summer, knocked back thiago, and then bought Mata..............all while controlling a title winning squad and failing miserably because a catalog of issues mostly around his management or lack of it. Sounds like you got selective memory.
Yes, and the players got him sacked.... Ole has the players support and we still played just as bad or worse...

Flexdegea

Yes, and the players got him sacked.... Ole has the players support and we still played just as bad or worse...

You don't need to lie to get digs in against Ole.

The comparisons between Moyes United and Ole United are night and day. Amazed anyone thinks Ole team plays as bad as that Moyes team, damn some people are broke.

Ole first 10 games alone was better on the eye, and the results game, than anything Moyes United drummed up :lol:

Actually can't even believe this topic is even getting discussed.....I blame myself for biting.

Flexdegea

It was pretty bad. But that makes it sound like you survived a terrible famine or a horrific warzone.

He was talking like I read about Moyes.....we were all there, the Fulham game.............actually have fond memories of that season, hate this word but it's fitting....the 'banter' was too notch all season, records toppling weekly :lol:

stevoc

Indeed.

We weren't trying to sign Kroos in 2013, not sure how signing Bale would have had any effect on the potential of signing Fellaini considering they don't play in the same position. Fabregas perhaps but Moyes said himself he would have still signed Fellaini he just didn't want him to be his first signing as he thought it would put too much pressure on him.

Real Madrid pulled the plug on the Coentrao deal as they couldn't sign a replacement.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Like not buying Fellaini for the release clause by the deadline… then paying more than that clause shortly after the deadline?

Genius.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

This can’t be a serious post. The guy had no idea what he was doing while thinking he did a good job. He is one of key reasons why we haven’t been at the top since Fergie as he basically dismantled the entire backroom staff immediately to bring his Everton personnel.

He literally did not want to sign Thiago because he didn’t know him.

He is basically a mid table manager who can get mid table sides to perform slightly above expectations with a bit of investment. He doesn’t win trophies, he doesn’t perform well in cup/European competition, his big game record is questionable. He’s having a bit of a renaissance at West Ham now but no big club will even think about hiring him.

Last edited:

Sarni

You don't need to lie to get digs in against Ole.

The comparisons between Moyes United and Ole United are night and day. Amazed anyone thinks Ole team plays as bad as that Moyes team, damn some people are broke.

Ole first 10 games alone was better on the eye, and the results game, than anything Moyes United drummed up :lol:

Actually can't even believe this topic is even getting discussed.....I blame myself for biting.
As bad as we have been under Ole we haven’t had the type of performance we had under Moyes in two consecutive games against City and Liverpool at Old Trafford where we basically looked like a League Two team, or the numerous home losses to teams that hadn’t won at OT for decades. Or that Fulham game. That was a different kind of bad and it came literally months after our title winning season where we got 89 points with the same squad.

Amir

This can’t be a serious post. The guy had no idea what he was doing while thinking he did a good job. He is one of key reasons why we haven’t been at the top since Fergie as he basically dismantled the entire backroom staff immediately to bring his Everton personnelץ
Moyes was obviously lost, but I disagree with the idea that keeping Phelan and Meulensteen (I'm discarding Steele, as the GK coach probably didn't have much effect) would have changed much during that season or later on (If LVG or Mourinho would have kept them at all).

It's like people putting blame for our current struggles on the coaching staff. No, there's a limit to how much a coaching staff can save a manager.

Flexdegea

As bad as we have been under Ole we haven’t had the type of performance we had under Moyes in two consecutive games against City and Liverpool at Old Trafford where we basically looked like a League Two team, or the numerous home losses to teams that hadn’t won at OT for decades. Or that Fulham game. That was a different kind of bad and it came literally months after our title winning season where we got 89 points with the same squad.

Exactly, how could any one forget. Whether someone rates Ole or not, he never been close to as bad. Moyes was a free one in the big matches and pretty much all the others with the records dropping

Sarni

Moyes was obviously lost, but I disagree with the idea that keeping Phelan and Meulensteen (I'm discarding Steele, as the GK coach probably didn't have much effect) would have changed much during that season or later on (If LVG or Mourinho would have kept them at all).

It's like people putting blame for our current struggles on the coaching staff. No, there's a limit to how much a coaching staff can save a manager.
I think it would have made it a much smoother transition and would have made his life easier to have people around him that knew the players, knew how the club was handled for many years before him and could guide him.

I think coaching staff is remarkably important for the manager. From what I remember Fergie relied heavily on their input, especially in Queiroz days, including tactics.

stevoc

Definitely, people on here go on about Ole having no influence on this team and having to rely on individual brilliance of the players.

Well Moyes was that on steroids in 18 league games vs the top ten teams that year under Moyes yielded 3 wins.

A scrappy home 3-2 win vs a fairly mediocre Stoke side, a scrappy home win vs Arsenal where we played like a lower league side in the FA Cup and a win away to a Newcastle side late in the season that were safe and played like they were already on the beach.

-----Record VS Top 10------------------------Record VS Bottom 10

P: 18 W: 03 D: 05 L: 10------------------P: 20 W: 16 D: 02 L: 02
GF: 16 GA: 28 GD: -12-------------------GF: 48 GA: 15 GD: +33
14 PTS From possible 54 PTS------------50 PTS From possible 60 PTS

The record against the bottom half was good which only pointed towards Moyes struggling back then whenever he wasn't managing the vastly superior side.

Last edited:

Amir

I think it would have made it a much smoother transition and would have made his life easier to have people around him that knew the players, knew how the club was handled for many years before him and could guide him.

I think coaching staff is remarkably important for the manager. From what I remember Fergie relied heavily on their input, especially in Queiroz days, including tactics.
Perhaps, I just don't it would have made that big of a difference if the manager is not good enough.

Plus, admittedly, I was never sold on Phelan and Meultensteen and the coaching done during their years. Obviously our squad has also weakened, but the football was too lacking and inconsistent.

EtH

:lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Moyes was handed a squad on it's last legs that was pulled to a title by RVP and weak competition. Of course he was ill equipped to handle the transition, and was a deer in headlights. But many people use the fact they won the league the previous season as an indication of quality carrying over into the following season... Twas not the case.

Anyways, good manager, Moyes. Terrible spell at United. Comparisons to Ole are nonsensical.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Here is the team of world beaters below. I forgot to mention the Icelandic hotshop, the North Pole's Alan Shearer - Finbogasson. Give me a break. How old are you?
  • Rulli
  • Martínez
  • Ansotegi
  • Martínez Berridi
  • De la Bella
  • Bergara
  • Granero
  • Prieto Argarate
  • Canales
  • Castro
  • Vela
I'm old enough to remember his disastrous time in La Liga and I'm sure you don't watch a lot of spanish football. To make it short the season with him they finished in a lower position than the previous team, once he was sacked they did a lot better the following season.

Moyes was handed a squad on it's last legs that was pulled to a title by RVP and weak competition. Of course he was ill equipped to handle the transition, and was a deer in headlights. But many people use the fact they won the league the previous season as an indication of quality carrying over into the following season... Twas not the case.

Anyways, good manager, Moyes. Terrible spell at United. Comparisons to Ole are nonsensical.
It's a myth that our squad was done when Fergie left. We walked the league and got robbed in Europe.
The only players that were done were Giggs, Scholes and Rio.

We had a balanced squad - de gea, rafa, evans, smalling, Jones, Henandez, Nani, Kagawa, Valencia, Fletcher, Rooney, Van Persie, Young, Zaha, Cleverley, Wellbeck. And then Carrick, Vidic and Evra who were 31/32.

And money to spend to bring new players in.

Moyes proceeded to fire the entire backroom staff that was world class and replace them with his Everton donkeys. He ripped up established, tailored training plans players had. His needlessly pissed off top pros.

The guy was a clown and brought on the majority of his woes himself. No matter how much time passes, the story isn't going to morph into Moyes being a victim.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's a myth that our squad was done when Fergie left. We walked the league and got robbed in Europe.

We had a balanced squad - de gea, rafa, evans, smalling, Jones, Henandez, Nani, Kagawa, Valencia, Fletcher, Rooney, Van Persie, Young, Zaha, Cleverley, Wellbeck. And then Carrick, Vidic and Evra who were 31/32.

Moyes proceeded to fire the entire backroom staff that was world class and replace them with his Everton donkeys. He ripped up established, tailored training plans players had. His needlessly pissed off top pros.

The guy was a clown and brought on the majority of his woes himself. No matter how much time passes, the story isn't going to morph into Moyes being a victim.
No where did I indicate Moyes was a victim.

And as for the squad, I think you're reaching if you think that squad was title winning quality without an overhaul. Good for a comfortable top 4 finish I will give you that.

Needham

First half an hour against Everton last week I just could not compute. Total, smooth possession, taking the piss in domination, slick, coherent, quality everywhere, Benitez looked donkeyfied. It can't just be Declan Rice (who was pure class). Moyes has adjusted. He's a modern manager.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ve always thought this. Moyes for all his personal improvements since made the worst of his opportunity, his job should have been relatively simple - keep the Fergie playbook & buy better players than Fellaini. I’m still shocked at how badly he did.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Agreed.

What people keep ignoring when discussing this is that there's zero evidence indicating that Rene - in particular - and Moyes would've been a good combo.

Rene wasn't exactly a humble side kick. There's no chance in hell he would've respected Moyes - of all people - per default. It would've been the Rio/Jagielka scenario on a daily basis. I doubt Phelan would've been with comfortable with the "transition" (more like insanely dramatic contrast) from Fergie to Moyesie either.

(Plus - Rene was by all accounts offered a role under Moyes, but it wasn't the one he wanted).

Last edited:

Thiagoal

I really don’t think Moyes helped himself with the United job. He should have kept the back room staff stable and exuded more confidence in his abilities.

No where did I indicate Moyes was a victim.

And as for the squad, I think you're reaching if you think that squad was title winning quality without an overhaul. Good for a comfortable top 4 finish I will give you that.
A team of multiple champions, oldest player 32.

De Gea
Rafa Evans Vidic Evra
Carrick Fletcher
Nani Rooney Young
Van Persie

Subs: Smalling, Hernandez, Kagawa, Valencia, Jones, Lindergard, Zaha

Move on Cleverley and Wellbeck, make a couple of additions in the summer window too.

If he didn't remove the entire back room staff and piss off all the players he could easily have mounted a title challenge with this team.

Last edited:

DreadnoughtRS88

Anyone not being able to differentiate worse and worst is flat out 'nutz' and 'hilarious'.

With that sort of limitations, I am not surprised you fail to see I clearly wasn't bigging David Moyes up as a United manager. All I said was he has West Ham playing good football (had it not been for Rice and Antonio injuries, they could have easily finished in the top four in by far the best league in the world), would have done a good job at United had he been backed like the PE teacher is, and Sociedad wasn't a failure (neither was it a success).
He tried to buy Fabregas, Kross, Bale and Coentrao all summer, but the board failed to get the deals done.
He bought Fellaini as the same impotent board who couldn't get Ballack, Essien, Ronaldinho, Hazard for Sir Alex... couldn't get him his prime targets.

Indeed.

We weren't trying to sign Kroos in 2013, not sure how signing Bale would have had any effect on the potential of signing Fellaini considering they don't play in the same position. Fabregas perhaps but Moyes said himself he would have still signed Fellaini he just didn't want him to be his first signing as he thought it would put too much pressure on him.

Real Madrid pulled the plug on the Coentrao deal as they couldn't sign a replacement.
Moyes himself has said he tried to sign Kross all summer and had the deal agreed with both the player and his agent. Signing Bale for 100mil. would affect the Fellaini purchase the same way buying Sancho and paying Ronaldo 500K every week affected buying a midfielder this summer. Fabregas was not a 'perhaps'. It's only 'perhaps' because you are trying to make a poor argument sound more solid by randomly adding modal adverbs. Fabregas was on the brink of joining, both the player and David Moyes said as much.

I will give you Coentrao. Not that it proves anything or takes away from my point that ignorance is more prevalent than trolling. Ta-ra.

I'm old enough to remember his disastrous time in La Liga and I'm sure you don't watch a lot of spanish football. To make it short the season with him they finished in a lower position than the previous team, once he was sacked they did a lot better the following season.
I am old enough to have seen a bunch of kids guessing whether I watch some league or not. You've been added to the list.

I watched almost every Sociedad game that season, as I was very interested in seeing how a British manager would fare abroad. To make it short, as you say, they did finish lower than the previous term when they had Griezmann on the team, yes. However, once their best player left, they started the season poorly and were in relegation form before Moyes got there. He stabilised them, played decent football and finished 12th.

The next season, they started poorly, but to say they did a lot better once Moyes left is nonsense. With Moyes, they finished 12th. Without Moyes the next season, they finished 9th, 4 points ahead of the 12th team in the table.

Regalia

I can understand Poch having an obsessive delusional fan boy, Potter having one or even Ole having one.
Never thought Moyes would have one too
Moyes is a better manager than Ole, not very surprising he has some fans. He is as unglamorous as they come, but did very well at Everton, turned them from a bottom half team into a consistent top5/top6 outfit. However, I definitely don't think he was ever cut out for Manchester United, back then and even now. But if you take off the Ole-tinted glasses for a moment, it is not a stretch to say he would have us as strong Top 4 challengers (where we are now) if had received the same senseless, unwavering backing over 3-4 years that Ole has gotten instead of being dumped 6 months in. He deserved to go by the way, not saying he didn't. We had higher standards and expectations as a club back then.