David Moyes West Ham Manager | Gone (pedantic sod Sarni)

ChrisNelson

Did you miss this thread? At least we won the FA Cup under LVG and went into games against the top 6 thinking we could get a result (including winning at Anfield). Moyes took the champions to 7th. Fergie may have overachieved with us in the end but with investment the successor should have done better than Moyes did. Instead he pursued unrealistic targets, ended up signing his former player for more than we could have spent for him, demoralised the squad and took us into all away games against the top 6 feeling the game was lost before it even started.
I agree with @finndt to a certain extent. The level of anti-Moyes on here does surprise me. He did a very good job at Everton, ok they were never going to win the league under him but they were one of the most stable clubs in the division and with their lack of resources that's all they could ever ask for. He did also take them to the Champions League and look at the situation they're in now, having spent all that money too.

He then took over arguably the most difficult job that's ever become available in club football, replacing SAF after 26 years and more trophies than you and I have had hot dinners. I genuinely think that he took us to such a high level that whoever took the job on was always going to struggle in their first season. You also refer to Fellaini however he seems to be considered an important player by our current manager.

Then he had the courage to take a job in a foreign country which not many managers would be brave enough to do, and it didn't quite work out.

As for Sunderland, they've been a mess for years now and as with Everton, and they've just hounded out another manager while they sit bottom of the Championship. Fans there think they should be in Europe.

He's now put himself in the firing line again and it will be interesting to see how he gets on but whatever happens he was manager at United and whether people liked him in the role or not I think he deserves respect from the fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Djemba-Djemba

I agree with @finndt to a certain extent. The level of anti-Moyes on here does surprise me. He did a very good job at Everton, ok they were never going to win the league under him but they were one of the most stable clubs in the division and with their lack of resources that's all they could ever ask for. He did also take them to the Champions League and look at the situation they're in now, having spent all that money too.
He then took over arguably the most difficult job that's ever become available in club football, replacing SAF after 26 years and more trophies than you and I have had hot dinners. I genuinely think that he took us to such a high level that whoever took the job on was always going to struggle in their first season. You also refer to Fellaini however he seems to be considered an important player by our current manager.
Then he had the courage to take a job in a foreign country which not many managers would be brave enough to do, and it didn't quite work out.
As for Sunderland, they've been a mess for years now and as with Everton, and they've just hounded out another manager while they sit bottom of the Championship. Fans there think they should be in Europe.
He's now put himself in the firing line again and it will be interesting to see how he gets on but whatever happens he was manager at United and whether people liked him in the role or not I think he deserves respect from the fans.

If he'd just been a shit manager it wouldn't have been so bad. I think people would have felt a bit sorry for a man clearly well out of his depth getting humiliated every week.

It's the fact he's complained over and over, even when employed by different clubs, about how unfair his sacking was. He's such an arrogant man.

That's what has really annoyed people.

The Bloody-Nine

You say he took on the most difficult job ever to become available. On one hand, I get what you mean. On the other, is taking charge of a team that had won the league the previous year at a canter really that?

spiriticon

Yeah his constant whining about his sacking with us has annoyed me more than the actual time that he was in the job with us.

Either way, in the last three jobs he's had he's managed to take the club down several levels. His tactics and methods are outdated.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
There'd be a bit more sympathy if he hadn't kept on complaining about it at every job since. I used to share a similar view to you when he was sacked, about it being a tough job but his constant complaints since has irritated me.

Castia

Gonna put a bet on him being sacked before the end of the season. They have insane fixtures coming up coupled with a Christmas schedule I think they’ll be fecked come February.

‘You know what let’s appoint David Moyes’ how the feck does anybody come to that conclusion after his 4 year fail run.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Can't stand West Ham or Moyes but they are both deluded so at least they match. Wish I didn't have to see his face in the PL, though.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
He's going to talk about relegation at his first presser, guaranteed. Then, around January, it'll be slating the players he has and sly digs at the board for not getting the transfer targets he wants (Ronnie, Bale and Messi). Then he'll buy a bunch of crocks and useless lumps from Everton and Sunderland. Then he'll get relegated. Then, eventually, we'll all die, the sun will implode and over the course of billions of years the universe will stop expanding. And he'll still be there talking about needing more time to turn things around at Manchester United.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There'd be a bit more sympathy if he hadn't kept on complaining about it at every job since. I used to share a similar view to you when he was sacked, about it being a tough job but his constant complaints since has irritated me.
That and the bit about slapping the female journalist eroded whatever sympathy I had for the guy too (and I did have some sympathy, on the basis that I also think the United job was a poisoned chalice)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Oh how I'd love a leaked audio from his dressing room "motivational" talk.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sullivan: "He is highly regarded and respected within the game and will bring fresh ideas, organisation and enthusiasm."
:lol:

The Bloody-Nine

That and the bit about slapping the female journalist eroded whatever sympathy I had for the guy too (and I did have some sympathy, on the basis that I also think the United job was a poisoned chalice)
I'm not sure I agree that it was, but he sure as hell made it one by sacking the hugely successful backroom staff and replacing them with the trophyless Everton Clampett Family.

Scarlet Spider

Great job for Moyes to be fair, if they go down they were going down anyway. If they stay up he's a genius and his reputation is restored a little bit. I can't imagine many West Ham fans welcoming this. Bringing Big Sam back would surely be a better decision...

PK007

Builder mate of mine just popped round to drop some tools off, hes a full on Hammer and a season ticket holder. I just told him theyve hired Moyes and his reaction went something like this:
Mouth opened
Face dropped
Said 'are you fecking winding me up??'
Showed him this site
Sat down and buried his head in his arms on the table.
Didnt get up for 2 minutes.

Says it all.

stevoc

He's been a failure at three clubs since Everton. Real Socieded were a decent club with decent players (and are once again now he's gone) and they were heading towards relegation under his watch. Here's a post by a season ticket holder on the West Ham forum.

He made no effort to learn anything about La Liga, the language, the city, didn't know who his own players were, often stubbornly playing players out of position because he mixed them up. He had a really dreadful relationship with his players and training staff. Even the office staff hated him almost as much as the playing and coaching staff did
That seems to be a common theme with Moyes at Everton, United, Sociedad and Sunderland.

It seems he has no time to ingratiate himself with his staff and the club staff he probably doesn't see any value in it. In stark contrast to Ferguson who supposedly knew all the club staff by name and went out of his way to be nice to them.

Cut from the same cloth indeed.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
"Slaven was one of our own and it felt great, at least Pards is a lot closer to that than Moyes. If we appoint Moyes I genuinely don’t think I can watch another game this season. Soul destroying."

David "destroyer of souls" Moyes

finndt

Did he get a proper chance at Sociedad? Did he get a proper chance at Sunderland?

He's either extremely unlucky at not getting proper chances, or he's actually, you know, completely shit .
I was only talking about his time with us. Not Sociedad nor Sunderland. It was shit, everybody saw that. I don't think it was going to get better, but when he was appointed it suggests that he was trusted by the board. Then pretty quickly he was not trusted anymore. But I understand that's how it is nowadays. Either player or a manager, you have to hit it right from the start.

Did you miss this thread? At least we won the FA Cup under LVG and went into games against the top 6 thinking we could get a result (including winning at Anfield). Moyes took the champions to 7th. Fergie may have overachieved with us in the end but with investment the successor should have done better than Moyes did. Instead he pursued unrealistic targets, ended up signing his former player for more than we could have spent for him, demoralised the squad and took us into all away games against the top 6 feeling the game was lost before it even started.
As shit as he is and as gutted I was to see him becoming our new manager, I get the feeling that for fans Moyes is an incarnation of the post Fergie- frustration and disappointment. An inevitable feeling and phase that was always going to come after Fergie would leave. In a way the very same phase is still going on and who ever is a manager will always be compared to Fergie.

I try to summarize my thoughts: Moyes is a championship manager and nowhere near united quality (whatever that means nowadays). He never should've been given the gig in a first place. But even so, I think was faced with unrealistic expectations (He inherited a team of champions!!!). At some extent we hit the rock bottom after Fergie, and Moyes was one of the reasons in the mix. Not the only one.

To me LVG's United was the worst I've seen. It felt like watching current United at Anfield.

As for West Ham or Moyes. I honestly couldn't care less of either of them. Stay, relegate. I don't care. Guess that makes me one of the few who's over him.

Reactions: Penna

PeteManic

Never have I wanted a team to get relegated more than West Ham. And it's not even that I have an issue with Moyesy. It's simply the fact that this has been a complete clusterfeck from the very beginning. What a hopeless club. Shit board, shit stadium, and now shit manager.

kr0nix

Builder mate of mine just popped round to drop some tools off, hes a full on Hammer and a season ticket holder. I just told him theyve hired Moyes and his reaction went something like this:
Mouth opened
Face dropped
Said 'are you fecking winding me up??'
Showed him this site
Sat down and buried his head in his arms on the table.
Didnt get up for 2 minutes.

Says it all.

Oldyella

Never have I wanted a team to get relegated more than West Ham. And it's not even that I have an issue with Moyesy. It's simply the fact that this has been a complete clusterfeck from the very beginning. What a hopeless club. Shit board, shit stadium, and now shit manager.
Oh yes, horrible club, enjoying seeing them eating some humble pie.

Am interested in seeing how Moyes does though, they have a better squad than Sunderland so he should be ok on paper..

Hughes35

Such as strange situation and a strange choice. First instinct is not to touch him with a barge pole......... He did a good job at Everton though which makes it an odd one. Having said that, he's lost the fans already and it's a long way back from that.

stevoc

Sums up David Moyes

Hatred Moyes gets here is crazy. And only reason behind it is the impossible job with us. Taking over a pretty poor squad after a legend of a manager was able to overachieve with it. He was never gonna get it right. Why LVG isn't getting more stick. He did nothing except squandered millions of pounds.

Im glad he's gone but i agree with him in one thing, he didn't get a proper chance.

There's newbies still fishing for likes by sticking up for Moyes i see.

Does that still work?

OneUnited24

If he'd just been a shit manager it wouldn't have been so bad. I think people would have felt a bit sorry for a man clearly well out of his depth getting humiliated every week.

It's the fact he's complained over and over, even when employed by different clubs, about how unfair his sacking was. He's such an arrogant man.

That's what has really annoyed people.
Absolutely. I still cant believe people havent realised this. Had he left and let it go i'm sure we wouldnt even talk about him. But its the constant stream of "poor me" he used to spill that generated this resentment.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think he's probably not going to be as bad as people think. The squad is actually such a Moyes squad. Target man, couple of creative players in Lanzini and Arnautovic, experienced back line and a btec Leon Osman in Noble. He'll save them from relegation, quite easily, I think.

owlo

There's newbies still fishing for likes by sticking up for Moyes i see.

Does that still work?
The state of this place the last few days, I'd be surprised if any of us newbies are actively itching for a promotion.

We look at the way Raees's thread the other day was heralded as genius by many, which basically requests a genetically engineered and 3D printed manager to exact specifications as our next manager, and we just shake our heads slowly and back away.

Anyway, on topic he's obviously a clown and terrible motivator, and it's a bizarre appointment to say the least.

The Bloody-Nine

Didn't he say quite recently that no one could have done a better job than he did? I mean....

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
For me the prototype of incompetence..McClaren level of incompetence.

Einstein stupidity quote strikes again.