David Moyes West Ham Manager | Gone (pedantic sod Sarni)

Baby-faced Assassin

Yet when he took over the actual champions with striker options of rvp, rooney, welbeck and chicarito he took them down to 7th. Something doesn’t add up there Dave!

stevoc

He takes any opportunity to bang on about how his teams could or should have done this or that on TV. The fact that he actually believes his own hype says it all. Sad and deluded.
Whether he actually believes all the shit he spews or not he knows it serves a purpose. Being a pundit on TV and his journo buddies always giving him a platform to repeat the same shit over and over keeps him relevant and in peoples minds. And of course when he keeps repeating ridiculous shit like he was a striker away from winning the league at Everton some simple clowns actually start to believe it.

Him saying Everton were one good striker away from winning the League is utter nonsense and is like saying this current United side is a right winger away from winning the treble. For feck sake in 11 years at Everton he came in the top 4 once and barely, he never even got close to mounting any sort of title challenge no striker in the world would have changed that. In their best season they were 35 points off winning the league, so they would have needed a striker that scored at least 30+ PL goals to make up that points deficit. The record for most goals by one player in a PL season is Salah at 32, Shearer, Ronaldo and Suarez at 2nd with 31. It's safe to say players of that caliber wouldn't have been at Everton under Moyes.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Their problem was they drew too many matches, if they'd turned even half of those into wins, and got draws from some of their narrow defeats something a regular goalscorer would've helped big style with they'd have been a lot more competitive, and don't forget those extra points they got would've been subtracted from those competing in and around them. And that's not even factoring in the confidence the team/squad would've got having a regular scorer in the team.
They drew 15 games in 12-13, I think the most in Moyes era. If you turn 8 of those into wins that is 16 additional points to their total of 63. That’s still 12 behind the champions.

They would not have been close to title even with Ronaldo up top.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes they did. 2010.
Fellaini was a CM, Hibbert-Neville were a thing, Coleman was often used higher, Osman and Pienaar wide, Rodwell was still promising and they had loads of underwhelming strikers Beckford, Yakubu, Anichebe and Saha with none of them winning the job.
With a quick look, I'm not sure if your team started even a single game together.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Whether he actually believes all the shit he spews or not he knows it serves a purpose. Being a pundit on TV and his journo buddies always giving him a platform to repeat the same shit over and over keeps him relevant and in peoples minds. And of course when he keeps repeating ridiculous shit like he was a striker away from winning the league at Everton some simple clowns actually start to believe it.

Him saying Everton were one good striker away from winning the League is utter nonsense and is like saying this current United side is a right winger away from winning the treble. For feck sake in 11 years at Everton he came in the top 4 once and barely, he never even got close to mounting any sort of title challenge no striker in the world would have changed that. In their best season they were 35 points off winning the league, so they would have needed a striker that scored at least 30+ PL goals to make up that points deficit. The record for most goals by one player in a PL season is Salah at 32, Shearer, Ronaldo and Suarez at 2nd with 31. It's safe to say players of that caliber wouldn't have been at Everton under Moyes.
Any chance you could be a little less fecking offensive mate, and if you listen properly he didn't say win it, but be competitive which is slightly different, as as for the best season and i've picked it randomly cos I can't be arsed going through his 11 seasons or whatever it was, in the 2009/10 season they were 25 points off top spot.

stevoc

Any chance you could be a little less fecking offensive mate,
Offensive towards whom David Moyes or are you offended for some reason?

and if you listen properly he didn't say win it, but be competitive which is slightly different,
No thanks i've heard enough of Moyes voice to last a lifetime, win/compete same difference. Chelsea got 95 points in his only season in the top 4 to compete for the title that year he still would have needed 30+ PL goals from a striker. So my point stands.

as as for the best season and i've picked it randomly cos I can't be arsed going through his 11 seasons or whatever it was, in the 2009/10 season they were 25 points off top spot.
They finished 8th that year with a goal difference of +11 compared to Chelsea's +71. Saha was their top scorer with 13 goals, even if he had somehow trebled that tally to 30+ i still doubt it would have been enough to bridge a 25 point gap.

stevoc

Me ? Nah, I just love being called a simple clown :lol::lol::lol:
What?

That post wasn't in reply to you it was general opinion about people who lap up Moyes constant shite, read the whole paragraph. So unless you believe all of Moyes nonsense that he has spewed repeatedly over the last few years then it doesn't apply to you.

You are telling me to listen properly, maybe you need to work on your comprehension mate if you've got offended by that post.

Morpheus 7

Yet when he took over the actual champions with striker options of rvp, rooney, welbeck and chicarito he took them down to 7th. Something doesn’t add up there Dave!
Yeah but he didn't have big Phil at the back and ahhh.. time. Jesus everytime I see him I cringe, like a memory of a bad part of a Saturday night you would rather forget forever. It seems mental now he was actually in charge of Manchester United.

InfiniteBoredom

The fault in his argument is that Everton did get a good striker to add on his best league tally the year after he left and they finished... 5th.

It's delusional. No striker in world football is worth 30 additional points. Not Ronaldo, not Messi, no one.

Dumbat12

The question for me is whether he was always crap and managed to hide that in his comfort zone at Everton or did United break him.

Has been pathetic on and off the pitch since leaving.
He did nothing special at Everton. They were right were they were supposed to be given their financial status. While playing dreadful football, I might add.

manutddjw

I can’t be arsed looking it up, but he forever was spinning the Everton are skint card but didn’t he spend decent money on Fellaini, Biladinetyov (or whatever the hell his name was) and a few others. Not that it was a lot but he was still given more than about 12 other clubs in the league had at the time.

ryansgirl

This guy was the man chosen by the club to keep us at the top...I will never understand that decision.
Yes, it shocked me when I heard, didn't want him, knew at the time that appointing David Moyes as Manchester United manager to follow Sir Alex was like appointing a teenager interested in science class as head of NASA - and I always wondered why on earth Sir Alex pushed this appointment. Him of all people.

Apart from the fact that both of them are Scottish, David Moyes had and has nothing in common with Sir Alex. It didn't even make sense from the point of view of getting your own kind of person as opposed to a foreign manager who wouldn't understand the United way and would change the focus from homegrown talent combined with tradition, passion, and judicious signings both within the UK and from other countries.

It was a kind of back to the future move but Sir Alex was one of a kind at a particular time that never would and never will return. And he had nothing set up for him when he came to United. That was the point. He was given the reins to re-build, make hard decisions, end the culture of bumping along and a good cup run and the odd FA Cup is the best we can do. Sir Alex created a Manchester United team in his image together with key elements of United's footballing traditions.

David Moyes was given the keys to the kingdom, inherited a team of winners with more than an FA Cup to show for themselves, a magnificent club set-up and generous budget. He destroyed Sir Alex's good work in a matter of months, including replacing loyal and knowledgeable winning staff in all areas of United with proven non-winners. The only winner he brought along with him was Phil Neville - and much as I love Phil he lacked the charisma and personality to make an impact.

Small-mindedness is one of David Moyes' essential characteristics. It cost United dearly.

Fridge chutney

People can disagree with him but it's still just an opinion.

No one can ever prove Moyes wrong on this one.

SouthPredators4

Yes, it shocked me when I heard, didn't want him, knew at the time that appointing David Moyes as Manchester United manager to follow Sir Alex was like appointing a teenager interested in science class as head of NASA - and I always wondered why on earth Sir Alex pushed this appointment. Him of all people.

Apart from the fact that both of them are Scottish, David Moyes had and has nothing in common with Sir Alex. It didn't even make sense from the point of view of getting your own kind of person as opposed to a foreign manager who wouldn't understand the United way and would change the focus from homegrown talent combined with tradition, passion, and judicious signings both within the UK and from other countries.

It was a kind of back to the future move but Sir Alex was one of a kind at a particular time that never would and never will return. And he had nothing set up for him when he came to United. That was the point. He was given the reins to re-build, make hard decisions, end the culture of bumping along and a good cup run and the odd FA Cup is the best we can do. Sir Alex created a Manchester United team in his image together with key elements of United's footballing traditions.

David Moyes was given the keys to the kingdom, inherited a team of winners with more than an FA Cup to show for themselves, a magnificent club set-up and generous budget. He destroyed Sir Alex's good work in a matter of months, including replacing loyal and knowledgeable winning staff in all areas of United with proven non-winners. The only winner he brought along with him was Phil Neville - and much as I love Phil he lacked the charisma and personality to make an impact.

Small-mindedness is one of David Moyes' essential characteristics. It cost United dearly.
At that time, i was sceptical about SAF's strange advocation of Moyes as his successor. I felt that given SAF move up into the upper management after his retirement, appointing a crony was a power retention move. Moyes looked up to SAF and was practically a lackey whom SAF could direct and dictate yet couldn't possibly fail with the talents at his disposal n coaches setup, compared to a big name successor who would want to establish himself. Till today, my opinion hasn't changed but it doesnt diminish my love for the great man.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
What?

That post wasn't in reply to you it was general opinion about people who lap up Moyes constant shite, read the whole paragraph. So unless you believe all of Moyes nonsense that he has spewed repeatedly over the last few years then it doesn't apply to you.

You are telling me to listen properly, maybe you need to work on your comprehension mate if you've got offended by that post.
If people want to hang on every word David Moyes says it's their prerogative, surely, so why the need for name calling for those that do ? Or does it really bother you that some might not share your views ?

Post 112 incoming.

Woodzy

Finished once in top 4 in 11 years but yeah they were missing a striker to compete for the league. :lol::lol:

This guy is delusion in its finest.
It's the players he listed after he made the comment that makes it funnier :lol:

Revaulx

At that time, i was sceptical about SAF's strange advocation of Moyes as his successor. I felt that given SAF move up into the upper management after his retirement, appointing a crony was a power retention move. Moyes looked up to SAF and was practically a lackey whom SAF could direct and dictate yet couldn't possibly fail with the talents at his disposal n coaches setup, compared to a big name successor who would want to establish himself. Till today, my opinion hasn't changed but it doesnt diminish my love for the great man.
Well SAF was certainly wrong in that regard, since the first thing Moyes did was “prove he was his own man” by sacking all of SAF’s staff :(.

I think there’s something in what you suggest, but other factors came in as well. The Glazers would have liked the concept of Moyes doing well on a limited budget, and Fergie honestly thought he’d turned United into such a well-oiled machine that the manager wasn’t that important.

Revaulx

I can’t be arsed looking it up, but he forever was spinning the Everton are skint card but didn’t he spend decent money on Fellaini, Biladinetyov (or whatever the hell his name was) and a few others. Not that it was a lot but he was still given more than about 12 other clubs in the league had at the time.
This is absolutely true. Plus even though their transfer budget was relatively modest, their wage bill was largely in line with their league positions.

What Moyes was undoubtedly good at (and stopped being the moment he left Everton, bizarrely) was scouting, recruiting and developing cheap punt defenders: Jagielka, Baines, Coleman etc. That was about it though.

stevoc

If people want to hang on every word David Moyes says it's their prerogative, surely, so why the need for name calling for those that do ? Or does it really bother you that some might not share your views ?

Post 112 incoming.
Yeah that's their prerogative and it's mine to say they're simple clowns if they do believe everything a charlatan like Moyes says. Why does that bother you?

Last edited: