David Raum

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think if we can sign him then we should. He's a very good player with a excellent engine which is required for a fullback/wingback. and he's a good fit for a team looking to play with a high defensive line.

SinNombre

I am sure this has been discussed but what’s the consensus on the caf about ETH’a plans with Shaw.

Any chance ETH wants to try Shaw as a CB?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
From the admittedly little I've seen, I like him. I in particular like his offensive stats. But, if Tagliafico is available from Ajax for 4m euros (as reported), doesn't that represent quite significant value for money?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
From the admittedly little I've seen, I like him. I in particular like his offensive stats. But, if Tagliafico is available from Ajax for 4m euros (as reported), doesn't that represent quite significant value for money?
If he's available for that, Ten Hag will know. And if he knows and doesn't go for it, that's good enough for me.

Thiagoal

His playing style reminds me of Luke Shaw funnily enough. If he’s more robust and keeps himself in better shape though then I wouldn’t mind selling Shaw and getting Raum in. I wonder which teams would be in for Luke?

Adamsk7

He’s a brilliant crosser and that’s something we haven’t seen at Utd from wide for a looooooong time. Ronaldo would score 10 goals from him alone.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he's available for that, Ten Hag will know. And if he knows and doesn't go for it, that's good enough for me.
Yeah, pretty much. Wouldn't surprise me to see links soon though (and the rumoured price go up quite a bit..).

edit: Here's the tweet

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Reliable source?

Why? Just curious as this lad looks very good going forward with excellent delivery, where as Malacia seems more like AWB in that his best attributes are defensive but on the ball he's not that good.
I'd wait for others to corroborate the news, mate.

Cathy Ferguson

It will not be easy to sell Shaw or Telles due to their highly unfavorable skill/salary ratio.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Bundesliga fans on Reddit reckon this would be a huge risk.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
At even 5x that amount it's a bargain if he starts, and it's still a bargain if he's better than Telles.
We need significantly better than Telles. And we need significantly less injury prone than Shaw. I think he ticks both those boxes. Missed something like 13 matches with injury in the last 4 seasons. Noted for his stamina. Not a wing back who can't defend nor a crock. And almost free.

SAF is the GOAT

I don't know why but he gives me Telles vibes before we signed him.

There was that talk about one of the most attacking full backs in Europe and then we got "hit" with the reality.

tidraKS

He's a starter for Germany's national team, and some of you are still here questioning him.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
He's a starter for Germany's national team, and some of you are still here questioning him.
His only real competition is Gosens (who was mostly injured this season), otherwise guys like Kehrer or Klostermann were tested as left full back.

If you don't know Raum, I'd compare him to Robertson or Gosens.
Very attacking minded, great crosses, good runs, good speed, good mentality.

However, he's best when he has lots of space. Against opponents that defend deep you won't see Raum dribbling past his opponent. His passing in tight spaces is also nothing special.

In defense he's okay or good, nothing more, nothing less.

After Borna Sosa this is now the 2nd rumor about a left FB that is known for his great crosses. Makes it a bit more believable if you ask me.

Oranges038

We need a right back way more than we need a left back.
In fairness all of the full backs are shite and need to be replaced.

At left back; 8 years of Shaw doing feck all aside from about 1 and half decent seasons.

Telles is just painful to watch, but so are Dalot and AWB.

cyberman

Leaks from when Ten Hag joined said he was happy with Dalot, not a peep about Shaw though.
Long term we need both, if this player is the player he wants for United when we are a finished product then get him now no matter how slightly less shit we are at LB at the minute

didz

His only real competition is Gosens (who was mostly injured this season), otherwise guys like Kehrer or Klostermann were tested as left full back.

If you don't know Raum, I'd compare him to Robertson or Gosens.
Very attacking minded, great crosses, good runs, good speed, good mentality.

However, he's best when he has lots of space. Against opponents that defend deep you won't see Raum dribbling past his opponent. His passing in tight spaces is also nothing special.

In defense he's okay or good, nothing more, nothing less.

After Borna Sosa this is now the 2nd rumor about a left FB that is known for his great crosses. Makes it a bit more believable if you ask me.
I wouldn't really worry about him getting space (it's his name, after all), particularly with the left wing options we have. A lot of the time Sancho or (back when he had some form) Rashford attract so much attention that the overlap is just completely free. It's a crime that our options at left back haven't made more of those opportunities.

We really do need an alternative for Shaw when his body breaks down or his brain takes a holiday. It would also be nice to have a fullback actually have some end product for once.

Reminds me a bit of Robertson in style.
Models his game on him apparently
https://bulinews.com/news/12012/david-raum-reveals-looks-to-andrew-robertson

I agree, but honestly I don't think there are any viable RB options good enough around, at least not at a decent price point. The only one who would have fit perfectly signed for Bayern Munich.

I wouldn't be surprised if the club are waiting til Jan/next summer in the hopes one emerges, or somebody in the squad steps up - the side isn't getting totally fixed in one summer, after all.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Surprised at how many people I've seen over various threads questioning the need for a left back. Shaw is unreliable (fitness or otherwise) and Telles is the worst fullback at the club.

Right Back still needs addressing, but in my opinion the options there are more workable than at left back. Not to mention we have a promising RB returning from loan.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Surprised at how many people I've seen over various threads questioning the need for a left back. Shaw is unreliable (fitness or otherwise) and Telles is the worst fullback at the club.

Right Back still needs addressing, but in my opinion the options there are more workable than at left back. Not to mention we have a promising RB returning from loan.
If ETH thinks there’s a very good LB available that suits his play then I have no concerns with it whatsoever. Not sure why others are moaning just because we also have below average RBs

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If ETH thinks there’s a very good LB available that suits his play then I have no concerns with it whatsoever. Not sure why others are moaning just because we also have below average RBs
Yeh exactly. Bit weird. Suppose Shaw seems to still split opinion, so those that think he's still got it in him to be a top level LB would probably find it odd. I'd sooner see him sold though personally.