David Raya

M16Red

His kicking is on par with De Gea whenever I've watched him

Against Liverpool it was terrible

lex talionis

If Raya gets signed, and De Gea stays, what makes you so sure that it's Raya that would be the backup?
Nothing is sure in life. We all thought we had gold in the palm of our hands when we brought in Barthez. If we're going to dump De Howler, we might as well go with Henderson and not spend the 50m or so it would take to bring in Raya. Unless we really believe Brentford will give him away cheap.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Nothing is sure in life. We all thought we had gold in the palm of our hands when we brought in Barthez. If we're going to dump De Howler, we might as well go with Henderson and not spend the 50m or so it would take to bring in Raya. Unless we really believe Brentford will give him away cheap.
That has to be the most Alan Partridge esque thing I've seen on the caf in a while.

M16Red

Evidently haven't watched him much then
I don't need to justify my comment, it's just my opinion watching him about 7 times (not including Utd) this season... yes I'm sad. I watch alot of football.

That’s not true at all. He’s not comfortable with distribution.

Actually
De Gea = 71.3%
Raya = 64.6%

Just want a keeper that can pass the ball, watched City and Liverpool alot - as well frankly jealous. The City keeper is key to their defensive play. Not so much Liverpool.

Last edited:

Idxomer

Actually
De Gea = 71.3%
Raya = 64.6%

Just want a keeper that can pass the ball, watched City and Liverpool alot as well frankly jealous. The City keeper is key to their defensive play. Not so much Liverpool.
Raya tries more passes and especially long ones. He's also more involved in the buildup phase than De Gea and that's with a team that averages far less possession than United.

He would be just a temporary solution and a step in the right direction even if he has some flaws.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I don't need to justify my comment, it's just my opinion watching him about 7 times (not including Utd) this season... yes I'm sad. I watch alot of football.

Actually
De Gea = 71.3%
Raya = 64.6%

Just want a keeper that can pass the ball, watched City and Liverpool alot as well frankly jealous. The City keeper is key to their defensive play. Not so much Liverpool.
I mean pass completion % is a terrible baseline stat considering the different profiles of Brentford and Manchester United. If you've actually watched Raya you can see he's clearly better than De Gea with the ball at his feet (not even mentioning he's far better commanding his box, sweeping, and just general shot stopping as well at this point)

M16Red

Raya tries more passes and especially long ones. He's also more involved in the buildup phase than De Gea and that's with a team that averages far less possession than United.

He would be just a temporary solution and a step in the right direction even if he has some flaws.
That is because of they way Brentford play, they skip the middle lots. So Raya pumps the ball long to Toni or another forward player.

On the ground short or mid range his isn't the best (IMO) add to that, no one has any idea how he'll handle the pressure of playing for Us.

How much do you think is temporary solution would cost?

Telsim

I'd take Costa or Maignan ahead of Raya, but we just don't have the money for them, so Raya will do.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

First video - you can cherry pick stupid moments from ederson and Alison. It doesn't make them reflective of general play.

Second stat has to be some joke. Just watch the type of passes Raya does compared to Ddg. It's like praising Lindelof for horizontal passes to Shaw and retaining the ball better than Bruno.

PSV

If we had Toney or really any non-squishy players up front De Gea would have much better pass completion. Raya isn't the answer. It's a side grade at best.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The lure of Raya is he shouldn't be expensive and is far better than De Gea, so even if he isn't it, he wouldn't be on a wage to stop us from signing Maignan or Costa next summer since both would be prohibitively expensive.

Idxomer

That is because of they way Brentford play, they skip the middle lots. So Raya pumps the ball long to Toni or another forward player.

On the ground short or mid range his isn't the best (IMO) add to that, no one has any idea how he'll handle the pressure of playing for Us.

How much do you think is temporary solution would cost?
No more than 30m.

Zoo

I’m not convinced by Raya or Diogo Costa, haven’t watched enough of the latter to be fair. Maignan or Onana would be my preferences but right now would take almost any alternative to De Gea.

El Jefe

I'll be honest his ball distribution seems like a myth to me also. He's comfortable with the ball at his feet but most passes I see from him are long passes to Toney or the clipped ones to the full backs that DDG plays decent enough.

I rarely see him be part of short passing moves from the back. Brentford don't even play that way.

He's a good keeper but not top class and we'll want him replaced pretty quickly.

pascell

I'm not convinced by Raya, definitely don't think his shot stopping and reflexes are as great as de Gea but he'll likely command his area better and come off his line to catch the ball.

His distribution does seem as solid as some suggest it is.

I guess we have to back the manager and bring in the players he wants, that's when we fairly judge him.

bucky

Almost like Brentford playing a different type of football that is less based on possession, which would explain Raya's completion rate.

M16Red

I mean pass completion % is a terrible baseline stat considering the different profiles of Brentford and Manchester United. If you've actually watched Raya you can see he's clearly better than De Gea with the ball at his feet (not even mentioning he's far better commanding his box, sweeping, and just general shot stopping as well at this point)
You need to watch him more then. His passing is a lot better than De Gea's.
How many full games of Brentford have you both watched? Hey... 2.?

All I'm saying is that when I've watched him, I don’t see it - he looked all at sea vs Liverpool and Newcastle

I tend to watch liverpool because I like it when they lose and whoever is close to us.

Plus Brighton because frankly they have good players.

Almost like Brentford playing a different type of football that is less based on possession, which would explain Raya's completion rate.
100% Toni runs the channels so so well, he just need to touch ball first and then you have a complete pass. Adams would be a good buy for Brentford when they go down.

Watched a lot of Southampton before the world cup, that guy (Adam) runs all day long.

Roboc7

The lure of Raya is he shouldn't be expensive and is far better than De Gea, so even if he isn't it, he wouldn't be on a wage to stop us from signing Maignan or Costa next summer since both would be prohibitively expensive.
His wages won’t be cheap, we massively overpay everyone and he’d be no different. If he’s not good enough to be our number one keeper long term (which I don’t think he is even close to) we shouldn’t be going anywhere near him.

BerryBerryShrew

So, we renew DDG on a quarter of his current salary, sign Raya for half nothing considering his contract situation and flog Henderson (for probably more than Raya will cost)

If Raya proves to be a world beater, then great. If he is merely an upgrade on DDG but not elite, then next year we flog DDG and sign Maignan when we are less hamstrung by FFP with Raya becoming an excellent no. 2.

Would make good business and footballing sense. Which is why we probably won't do it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

All I'm saying is that when I've watched him, I don’t see it - he looked all at sea vs Liverpool and Newcastle

I tend to watch liverpool because I like it when they lose and whoever is close to us.

100% Toni runs the channels so so well, he just need to touch ball first and then you have a complete pass. Adams would be a good buy for Brentford when they go down.

Watched a lot of Southampton before the world cup, that guy (Adam) runs all day long.
Er, no. They've been playing every week in the PL for nearly two seasons, not some random league nobody watches. Try closer to 20 than 2.

Amazingly, you're not the only person on this Manchester United forum who watches PL games every week. :rolleyes:

bosnian_red

His wages won’t be cheap, we massively overpay everyone and he’d be no different. If he’s not good enough to be our number one keeper long term (which I don’t think he is even close to) we shouldn’t be going anywhere near him.
His wages shouldn't be more than Henderson's who we should sell anyway, so that's fine even if he isn't a long term starter.

We desperately need a keeper. We should be able to get rid of a ton of players. We'll have room in the wage budget. We should get rid of de Gea and his 375k per week, so even if he isn't elite, he is far better than de Gea. Sometimes, yeah get the right player and wait for it. Other times like now where we don't have anyone capable of at least being decent but is on ridiculous wages, nah we just need to clean out our group and get whatever incremental improvement we can in the mean time.

Roboc7

His wages shouldn't be more than Henderson's who we should sell anyway, so that's fine even if he isn't a long term starter.

We desperately need a keeper. We should be able to get rid of a ton of players. We'll have room in the wage budget. We should get rid of de Gea and his 375k per week, so even if he isn't elite, he is far better than de Gea. Sometimes, yeah get the right player and wait for it. Other times like now where we don't have anyone capable of at least being decent but is on ridiculous wages, nah we just need to clean out our group and get whatever incremental improvement we can in the mean time.
But that’s exactly how end up with a backlog of deadwood in the squad, panic buys and short term fixes who get given wages no one else will pay them. It’s so hard to sell Henderson because very few teams would contemplate paying their keeper that kind of money.

Raya is a pretty ordinary keeper, wouldn’t be long before he’ll have to be replaced then you’re stuck with a backup keeper on over a hundred grand a week.

M16Red

Er, no. They've been playing every week in the PL for nearly two seasons, not some random league nobody watches. Try closer to 20 than 2.

Amazingly, you're not the only person on this Manchester United forum who watches PL games every week. :rolleyes:
What does that mean?

You keep saying watch more, I was just saying I watch alot - I know their are people on here that watch football from all round the world. I'm not some little kid that reads a twitter post thingy and thinks it 100% accurate.

So you watched him vs liverpool or Newcastle - do you think he did well?

I'm not afraid to lose an argument, I have a wife i lose too on a daily. So if you say that he's better, then cool.

I was just saying he was on par in the games I've watched with De Gea. I just want us (Man Utd) to get a good keeper that can play short and mid range passing really well.

bosnian_red

But that’s exactly how end up with a backlog of deadwood in the squad, panic buys and short term fixes who get given wages no one else will pay them. It’s so hard to sell Henderson because very few teams would contemplate paying their keeper that kind of money.

Raya is a pretty ordinary keeper, wouldn’t be long before he’ll have to be replaced then you’re stuck with a backup keeper on over a hundred grand a week.
Yeah it's not ideal to need to get a temporary goalkeeper but it is our reality. We aren't in a situation where we are loading up the squad with pointless players, he would at worst be a good backup or at best a good starter. He's a decent goalkeeper, but one that is much better than Henderson or De Gea. We'll need 2 goalkeepers anyway. We have bigger priorities, being able to get a decent goalkeeper who can perform to a solid level at least would still be a boost while also a money saver for us.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah it's not ideal to need to get a temporary goalkeeper but it is our reality. We aren't in a situation where we are loading up the squad with pointless players, he would at worst be a good backup or at best a good starter. He's a decent goalkeeper, but one that is much better than Henderson or De Gea. We'll need 2 goalkeepers anyway. We have bigger priorities, being able to get a decent goalkeeper who can perform to a solid level at least would still be a boost while also a money saver for us.
Agreed.

Raya at worst will be a capable back up who commands his area and has shown the ability to distribute to a good enough level hence he was ahead of DDG in Luis Enrique's Spain squad. Also he's currently playing for a Brentford team who look to play direct football by bypassing the build up phase a lot of the times.

I'd sign both Raya and Toney from Brentford and open up the possibility of signing Evan Ferguson and a young up and coming keeper next year. But if there's a possibility of doing a deal for Diogo Costa now, then get him in now.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

David Raya has completed 72 passes into the final third this season. He has progressed the ball 710 yards per 90 min. Moved it 919 yards per 90 min.

David de Gea has completed 6 passes into the final third. He has progressed the ball 434 yards per 90 min. Moved it 607 yards per 90 min.

Jurgen Klopp once said thag Raya should play with 10 on his back. If we got Raya we would probably use him in a different way than if we got someone like Summer (who we were heavily linked to before Bayern got him). Either way, both would be a huge upgrade on the ball compared to de Gea.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Quite a lot actually. And watched a fair bit last year as well. I watch a lot of football.

Abraxas

He looks pretty tiny in the box next to big centre backs. Not a quality I like in a keeper.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Do you think a "pass completion" stat tells you something about which player is a better passer?

Not defending De Gea here but I can't recall any of our players winning a header. Even if we had a keeper that can make those passes I can't see us winning those duels.
Yeah I also refuse to believe this only comes from goalkeeper passing skills.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Not defending De Gea here but I can't recall any of our players winning a header. Even if we had a keeper that can make those passes I can't see us winning those duels.
Most of Raya's passes aren't as route 1 as 'kick it to the big man up front'. Like most keepers with good distribution, he's often pinging balls to the players in space (typically full backs/wingers) and putting the right amount of weight on the pass to make it a successful pass.