David Raya

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Good signing this would be

Nero

I'm guessing he'd be coming in to carry De Gea's boots?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Contract runs out in 2024, and it doesn't look like he wants to renew. This would be a step in the right direction to improve the build up play in the first phase.

You aren't just signing Raya to stop shots but you're also signing him to give you a numerical superiority in the first phase, especially against those teams who are adept at pressing high and cutting off the passing lanes. For a low fee this potentially looks like a good deal.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
The more I think back on DDGs omission from the Spanish squad, the more stupid it really was.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Contract runs out in 2024, and it doesn't look like he wants to renew. This would be a step in the right direction to improve the build up play in the first phase.

You aren't just signing Raya to stop shots but you're also signing him to give you a numerical superiority in the first phase, especially against those teams who are adept at pressing high and cutting off the passing lanes. For a low fee this potentially looks like a good deal.
Good points.

Manchester United. Signer of keepers.
I laugh but its true. :lol:

Mwooyo

The more I think back on DDGs omission from the Spanish squad, the more stupid it really was.
Nope. De gea just doesnt match the style of a modern goal keeper. People can talk about shot stopping all they want but a modern goal keeper has to be quick of his line, fantastic with his feet and dominant in the box when crosses are played. All this is in addition to being a shot stopper. De gea is still poor in all those areas. All the spanish keepers selected are better than him in those areas. Its a no brainer really

Guapa

Give David another year at least.He deserves it and I think his game has improved under E10H.Let’s concentrate on more urgent needs for now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Let him go to Chelsea. We should go for Sanchez instead.
Sanchez will likely cost too much and it would probably make more sense to sign a keeper like Raya for a knock down fee for now.

But I do agree, Sanchez also looks the part and his ability on the ball was there to see against Liverpool.

Erik ten Hag needs to be ruthless and bring in the players he needs to boost the first and second phase of the build up or we'll always struggle to impose our game against teams who are adept at doing just that.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Nope. De gea just doesnt match the style of a modern goal keeper. People can talk about shot stopping all they want but a modern goal keeper has to be quick of his line, fantastic with his feet and dominant in the box when crosses are played. All this is in addition to being a shot stopper. De gea is still poor in all those areas. All the spanish keepers selected are better than him in those areas. Its a no brainer really
I'd say the Spanish would have preferred a keeper who didn't concede as many howlers in retrospect but sound for the absolutist twoddle :).

I'd imagine this news story is bollocks anyway. If we're lacking in funds we're unlikely to throw it into a keeper IMO.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good keeper, good price if we're interested. And, as with Spain, a more obvious fit if you want to play out from the back than De Gea.

Raya, who made two appearances for Spain last year, is widely regarded as one of the finest distributors in the Premier League. Last season Jürgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, said of Raya: “He should have a No 10 on his back, with the balls he played.”

In an exclusive interview earlier this season, Raya told Telegraph Sport: “I’ve been working on coming out from the back since I was a child but now I’m trying to perfect it. I do rondos, things like that. It forces me to be cold-blooded and to have a lot of confidence in myself.

“You’re always exposed to making a mistake, but I have to be calm enough not to get down when that happens. I know that this ability with my feet is something that sets me apart and I repeat to myself that I have to learn to forget the bad moments.”
Brentford fans seem to think he's certain to leave anyway, so it's just a matter of where he ends up.

lex talionis

We have more urgent needs, starting with a CF. A backup for Casemiro next. Depending on what one thinks of AWB's renaissance, a RB. Then probably a fourth choice CB to replace Maguire.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
More of an issue of style than ability though. DDG does not or did not fit the style of play Spain wanted, I would still argue he is the better keeper and Raya would be a downgrade.
Actually an issue of ability in this case. De Gea has simply been a dreadful goalkeeper for the Spanish team, and it got to the point where they accepted that his United form is of no benefit to them if he drops clangers every other game - which he did for a few years as first choice. He’s been terribly unreliable.

dinostar77

We have more urgent needs, starting with a CF. A backup for erikson next. Depending on what one thinks of AWB's renaissance, a RB. Then probably a fourth choice CB to replace Maguire.
Almost agreed with your statement.

JB7

More of an issue of style than ability though. DDG does not or did not fit the style of play Spain wanted, I would still argue he is the better keeper and Raya would be a downgrade.
You could argue this, much in the same way you could argue that a fireplace is a great spot to put a Dairy Milk.

CallyRed

Chelsea haven't spent enough on keepers so that makes sense for him to go there

adam118

I think Henderson will end up at Spurs in a Kane deal and Chelsea will flex and go for Costa (paying his release clause) and if we want Raya we will get him.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Raya is also considered a homegrown player for squad registration purposes - that's another 5 mill on the price tag ;)

As he is going - let the auction begin, let's see how much a team like Brentford can squeeze out of the big boys for this cracker of a goalie :)