David Raya

dinostar77

Why would he sits on the bench when he's above DDG in Spanish national team pecking order? If we are going to sign this guy then it means to upgrade DDG so ten Hag can finally make his team to play more consistent of retaining possession and able to go toe to toe with City. If he's not good enough then it's only 15m, we can sign a new one next summer 2024 so this is actually works for both short and long term. If he's good enough then we are getting him for bargain.
Being above de gea for spainish national team means nothing. Spain play a certain way and want their keeper to contribute to outfield play. Thats got nothing to do with utd. We dont play like the spainish national team.

Raya aint good enough for utd imho. We will know for sure when the summer window closes and no new keeper comes in other than a no2 to replace henderson or if de gea signs a new deal.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Being above de gea for spainish national team means nothing. Spain play a certain way and want their keeper to contribute to outfield play. Thats got nothing to do with utd. We dont play like the spainish national team.

Raya aint good enough for utd imho. We will know for sure when the summer window closes and no new keeper comes in other than a no2 to replace henderson or if de gea signs a new deal.
What make you think ten Hag doesn't want us to play a certain way that wants his keeper to contribute to outfield play? Have you not been watching his Ajax? He tried it vs Brentford away and realised DDG couldn't do it.

ten Hag wants to play a keeper to contribute to outfield play, which makes sense why Raya is an upgrade of DDG in the way how ten Hag wants us to play. 15m to upgrade keeper is no brainer. If it doesn't work then it's only cost us 15m, while DDG's current salary is 20m.

dubplate warrior

He has a higher save perce tage because hes a busier keeper playing for brighton.

Couldnt care less about his feet, sweeping or claming crosses. He cant make the saves de gea can.
You should care about them, they're very important to being a good goalkeeper.

Also what Ten Hag needs in order to properly implement his style of play.

Telsim

A substantial upgrade on De Gea on the cheap side with a fraction of the wages and already used to the PL. This should be done before the transfer window even opens.

Raya's chart (in green) on SofaScore compared to De Gea's chart (in blue):

Rojofiam

That's exactly how ten Hag wants to play, though. Check out how he used Onana at Ajax.

Replacing DDG is a question of when, not if.

Red-17

He’s a very good keeper.
His driven long balls have been really impressive today especially when you compare them to De Gea’s. Turns a 60 yard pass into a high quality chance of retaining possession because of the pace and accuracy

MetoTTT

Looks like an excellent GK. Has it all (commanding, aerial ability, ball playing GK too

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
That's exactly how ten Hag wants to play, though. Check out how he used Onana at Ajax.
Yep, Pasveer too. ten Hag is Dutch and was the manager of Ajax, lest we forget. In those circles, Cruyffian principles reign supreme — and he also worked under van der Sar, of all people. He knows how important a goalkeeper who's proactive, capable of ceaselessly commanding the defensive line and adding an extra dimension in possession is, and on a fundamental level, he is no different to Guardiola, Klopp or Arteta. All three of them prioritized the goalkeeper position and invested in the likes of Ederson, Alisson and Ramsdale. de Gea has been a top player for United (and gave us all of his prime years), but at some point you have to make tough, gut-wrenching decisions. ten Hag will do the same — a matter of when, not if. Raya seems to be very confident in his own abilities (an important attribute for the position) and is playing some of the best football of his career right now. Definitely a candidate who should be considered, provided his contract is not renewed; at the very least, he would be a really good backup (who could fill in for the starter, without a substantial loss in quality or functionality).

Trequartistry

The casuals from the De Gea thread haven’t seen any (camera) saves so therefore Raya can’t be good. In fact De Gea won our POTY a few years ago while Raya plays for Brentford so he definitely can’t be good

mav_9me

The 4th chart shows why Raya is our best option considering price and what we want in a modern GK.

Blood Mage

I prefer Sanchez but would be happy enough with Raya. We really need to think about replacing De Gea as much as I love him. Just not good enough with his feet.

Red_toad

Shorter than Henderson (whom according to many on the Caf is too short). But looking pretty composed against La Arse, would prefer a more proactive keeper on crosses, but for availability and price he looks good value.

SinNombre

How much is he going to cost in the summer? 15m?

Give DDG a new deal at 150k/week for 2-3 years and we can ignore the position unless a Buffon is on the market.

Idxomer

I'm not in general a fan of short keepers but Raya will be a huge upgrade on De Gea in basically everything a keeper should do.

Rojofiam

Yep, Pasveer too. ten Hag is Dutch and was the manager of Ajax, lest we forget. In those circles, Cruyffian principles reign supreme — and he also worked under van der Sar, of all people. He knows how important a goalkeeper who's proactive, capable of ceaselessly commanding the defensive line and adding an extra dimension in possession is, and on a fundamental level, he is no different to Guardiola, Klopp or Arteta. All three of them prioritized the goalkeeper position and invested in the likes of Ederson, Alisson and Ramsdale. de Gea has been a top player for United (and gave us all of his prime years), but at some point you have to make tough, gut-wrenching decisions. ten Hag will do the same — a matter of when, not if. Raya seems to be very confident in his own abilities (an important attribute for the position) and is playing some of the best football of his career right now. Definitely a candidate who should be considered, provided his contract is not renewed; at the very least, he would be a really good backup (who could fill in for the starter, without a substantial loss in quality or functionality).
Agreed with pretty much everything, though I'm not sure it will be Raya to replace DDG...although he would probably be the best value for money option.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Shorter than Henderson (whom according to many on the Caf is too short). But looking pretty composed against La Arse, would prefer a more proactive keeper on crosses, but for availability and price he looks good value.
In terms of the percentage of crosses into the box he stops, last season he was 9th best in the league but this season so far he's 3rd best.

That's 6.7/9.3% compared to our current goalkeeper's 1.5/2.5%

Red_toad

In terms of the percentage of crosses into the box he stops, last season he was 9th best in the league but this season so far he's 3rd best.

That's 6.7/9.3% compared to our current goalkeeper's 1.5/2.5%
Not exactly what I was getting at, I prefer the VDS/ Big Pete type of keeper who actively goes for crosses and physically dominates his area.

Bojan Djordjic

How much is he going to cost in the summer? 15m?

Give DDG a new deal at 150k/week for 2-3 years and we can ignore the position unless a Buffon is on the market.
Not to be contrary but that is way above market wages for a player of De Gea's current abilities. Club stalwart but if we are offering him a contract commensurate with his value it would be a generous €80k pw. It looks drastic compared with his current salary (which was always an insane salary for even a world best keeper) but he's way off the mark of world's best right now and 80k pw for a reserve keeper is still relatively high I'd imagine in any club other than United.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’d take him over De Gea for sure but I’m not convinced he’s the answer. I’ve seen him make plenty of poor mistakes too. Then again looking around our options look a tad limited.

sifi36

I’ve spoken on Raya in the ball playing keeper thread and he comes out quite well on my amateur statistical analysis even if he isn’t an elite shot stopper. I wouldn’t mind him as a cheap option if the budget doesn’t allow for someone like Maignan or Costa.

croadyman

He’s an upgrade, fits with the aspired playing style and is surprisingly well priced. It makes too much sense.
Yeah he fits the bill and would allow us to go big on a De Jong/Caicedo/Bellingham and top striker too. Just because we have the cash doesn't mean we have to spree this summer

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He looked very smooth as a keeper but a bit prone to a mistake once in a whilst. If the manager sees him as the one then i wont be surprised.

justsomebloke

In that respect, we do actually want to play like the Spanish national team. EtH also wants his keeper to contribute to outfield play.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Get him, with a year left on his contract he will not only be a better number 1 for us for the short term but might actually be good enough long term as well all at a knock down price

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
375k pw keeper who can’t play from the back under manager who wants to play from the back. I don’t know how people still can’t see that ten Hag wants to play from the back means the keeper needs to know how to play from the back. Raya is just no brainer signing if this guy is available for 20m.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not 100% sure on him but would rather go for him than Sanchez. I don't rate him at all, I think he'd flop at a big club.