Day 1: Qatar vs Ecuador - Match Discussion Only Please.

Red Star One

Can Qatar be the worst World Cup team ever? With games against Senegal and Netherlands coming and their game today it’s hard to see anything else than 0 points and 0 goals scored. To equal Zaire in 1974 they’d have to ship another 12 goals and score none - perhaps the Dutch will be anyhow motivated to deliver the spanking?

At least, unlike Zaire, they won’t be threatened that they will not be allowed home.
Chastened by a 2-0 loss to Scotland and, more significantly, a 9-0 shellacking by Yugoslavia, the Zaire squad was informed that their performance had so disgusted the country’s leader, the despotic President Mobutu, that if they conceded more than three goals to world champions Brazil, they might not be allowed home after the tournament.

The first Sub-Saharan side to play at the World Cup defended to the last man, and despite the embarrassment of Mwepu Ilunga dashing out of a defensive wall to hoof the ball away as Rivellino prepared to shoot, they kept the score down to a semi-respectable 3-0 loss.

Still, with 14 goals conceded and none scored in three games, an incensed Mobutu insisted the national team’s performances had “embarrassed the entire continent”.

Pintu

It’s insulting that Qatar are in the competition and a storied team (and current European champions) didn’t qualify for a World Cup because their qualifying pool is one of the hardest in the world.
Italy is a special case, though. Not really representative of Europe's qualifying system. It's mostly due to awfull luck (Key players missing key games and Jorginho missing 2 penalties in succession against Switzerland -scoring one of the penalties would have been enough-). They are 5th or 6th in the Fifa ranking. So you're bound to find at least 27 lower ranked teams participating.

Qatar are actually the current Asian champions (won it in 2019). But I have no idea whether they could have qualified from Asia this time. They were nowhere near it in 2018. It is a very consistent confederation over the last 2 editions, they keep sending the same teams (Same top 2 -although close for SK in 2018- in both groups, and Australia through the playoff twice).

Pintu

Can Qatar be the worst World Cup team ever? With games against Senegal and Netherlands coming and their game today it’s hard to see anything else than 0 points and 0 goals scored. To equal Zaire in 1974 they’d have to ship another 12 goals and score none - perhaps the Dutch will be anyhow motivated to deliver the spanking?

At least, unlike Zaire, they won’t be threatened that they will not be allowed home.
Chastened by a 2-0 loss to Scotland and, more significantly, a 9-0 shellacking by Yugoslavia, the Zaire squad was informed that their performance had so disgusted the country’s leader, the despotic President Mobutu, that if they conceded more than three goals to world champions Brazil, they might not be allowed home after the tournament.

The first Sub-Saharan side to play at the World Cup defended to the last man, and despite the embarrassment of Mwepu Ilunga dashing out of a defensive wall to hoof the ball away as Rivellino prepared to shoot, they kept the score down to a semi-respectable 3-0 loss.

Still, with 14 goals conceded and none scored in three games, an incensed Mobutu insisted the national team’s performances had “embarrassed the entire continent”.
I wouldn't bet on it. Netherlands will be already qualified, they'll play relaxed. Losing 5-0 twice, both at home, would be something...

The Zair record will undoubtedly fall next time around when we have 48 teams participating, including up to 9 from AFC and possibly 7 from Concacaf.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I think they naturalised some players too, I only saw the highlights they were shocking the goalkeeper looked like it was his first game in football
They could have got better players from league one to naturalise.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Ecuador are hardly chocked full of world beaters, but they have an energetic, physical team that qualified from one of the better confederations alongside two of the tournament’s favorites. Senegal lost their best players and the Dutch has question marks over their attack as well. I wouldn’t count them out.
They already have the all important 3 pts. Senegal will be the winnable one but Netherlands will abuse them.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Human rights abuses. Migrant workers. Thousands dead. Horrible treatment of minorities. Ludicrous riches. No football tradition. I primarily blame FIFA corruption- but come on!

Red Star One

I wouldn't bet on it. Netherlands will be already qualified, they'll play relaxed. Losing 5-0 twice, both at home, would be something...

The Zair record will undoubtedly fall next time around when we have 48 teams participating, including up to 9 from AFC and possibly 7 from Concacaf.
Fair enough, but if they play like in the first half today I can see a high score line anyway. -14 is not so safe. True on what’s coming in 2026

Oldham

I'm pathetic... was saying I'm not gonna watch.
Went to meet friends in the pub to watch...

MalaysianRed7

I genuinely didn’t think beforehand that Qatar were anywhere near as bad as they were today. Absolutely shocking. They didn’t offer anything at all in any aspect of the game, be it playing out from the back, creating chances or even good goalkeeping. Ecuador were clearly playing in first or second gear, and with all due respect, that was just Ecuador, a decent team but still very young and nowhere near the best in their continent. If the Netherlands suffer a shock loss against Senegal or Ecuador and have to go into the Qatar game full throttle, they will absolutely destroy them.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Worst host ever vis à vis football talent? I can’t think of a worse one, but I also cannot recall super old WC sites off the top of my head.
Non World Cup winning hosts:

1958: Sweden
1962: Chile
1970 & 86: Mexico
1994: USA
2002: Korea & Japan
2010: South Africa
2018: Russia

In fairness, they were also the shittiest on paper ahead of the game.

Stig

Has the disallowed goal been discussed here ?

There are 38 pages and with a quick scan I didn't find anything.

RedDevilRoshi

Red00012

I think they naturalised some players too, I only saw the highlights they were shocking the goalkeeper looked like it was his first game in football
I think that GK has over 80 caps for his country….he will provide entertainment in the next 2 games anyway as he is a shocking GK

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
There’s a possibility Qatar might be at the wrong end of a hiding against the Dutch or Senegalese. Very static in movement overall

PoTMS

The (not so) shocking thing in all this is that there's only 6 places between them in the FIFA rankings.

Zetrio2002

Qatar are awful. Is Asian football so bad? How are they champions?
Qatar is bad.
Ecuador will do well this world cup.

Asian players are mostly too small and they are also afraid of being too aggressive with their bigger opponents. End up that they are sitting ducks for shooting.

Real Name

Qatar is like one of those guys who fills the numbers when you play on the weekend or he's playing just like he brought the ball.

Zetrio2002

Has the disallowed goal been discussed here ?

There are 38 pages and with a quick scan I didn't find anything.
The goalkeeper was much further in front so there was only one defender behind and the attack was at least 30 cm offside.

It was tight but not until the computer can't find it. It was not super tight or controversial.

Last edited: