Day 1: Qatar vs Ecuador - Match Discussion Only Please.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I thought the 2-0 goal looked more like an offside than the one that was ruled out. Wasn't Valencia off by a few inches when the ball was played? :confused:
You may have missed the player on the far side who seemed to be keeping him on.

90 + 5min

I feel a little bit sorry for Qatar team. It might be that they are nervous but the gap between sides is just enormous. Right now it feels like som Premier League team playing League two team.

Devil81

There are players on the field who genuinely are struggling to even control the football.

Can't believe how bad they actually are.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's not. There's another player challenging the keeper for the ball, the one who later attempts the bicycle kick. He must get a touch on the ball. The one who's offside then heads it.
he doesn’t touch it until he’s well on side as the ball bounces. ridiculous decision for me

Dominos

the leg they’re showing is the guy who challenges for the header initially. go back and watch the replay no other player is ahead of him
I feel like we're watching different clips. The player who challenges for the header has a team mate behind him who's leg is offside (offside only if we assume it was the Ecuador player who got his head on the ball).

It's the team mate who is offside who the ball drops to after the header, he then heads it, initial header then crosses it on the volley.

This is correct but only applies if it did indeed come of an Ecuador head when he challenged the keeper, which is debatable.

It doesn’t matter. When the ball was last touched by an Ecuador player Valencia was in an onside position. He neither plays the ball or interferes with an opponent when the keeper comes out. And on closer inspection it looked to me like the first header was by a Qatar player. It’s just not offside.
It's obviously only offside if the it comes of an Ecuador head when he challenges the keeper.

If it does comes off an Ecuador head, the next player to get a touch on the ball is the Ecuador player who was offside at the time of the header.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
First of all in case you still haven't realized, you can very well be offside from a direct freekick :houllier: , secondly the freeze frame is from when the first aerial duel inside the box happens, not from when the ball was played into the box.
Every man and his dog saw that as a terrible keeper clearance in real time. We get a replay in which the only way that is offside is if an Ecuadorian is hitting it, but no clear evidence or any different angle. Dodgy as feck.

If we spend the rest of the World Cup getting VAR from single shots/angles I'll take that back but I doubt that will be the case. They just made something up on the spot and went with it.

Castia

How did Dion Dublin get the gig of commentating the opening of a World Cup??

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Qatar have completely lost their composure. This is not too dissimilar from the kind of football top Asian sides used to play in the 90s...
I saw Singapore play for 15 minutes not long ago - no idea how Qatar would beat them (of course they might not have to). they weren't great but had way about ball control and more composure than this lot. Bit like watching US "soccer" in the 1980s

Rex Banner

This really is abysmal from Qatar. How are they Asian champions?

Ecuador have been really good but hard to tell how much of that is down to Qatar being so bad.

avgp_1

Qatar played Ireland a year or so ago. They looked better than this

Man-United

When was the last time the Host nation lost the opening game in World Cup?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The worst part is that Ecuador are nowhere near decent today.