Day 10: Ecuador vs Senegal | Netherlands vs Qatar | Iran vs USA | Wales vs England

RedDevilRoshi

Was busy watching Iran vs USA and missed Rashy's goals. Pleased for him.

United players on fire this World Cup!
Agree. They are having great tournaments so far and with hope, continue that when they return to club business with us next month.

Hopefully both Martinez & Eriksen help their nations qualify for the knockout rounds.

NoPace

Agree with this - was thinking this watching the game. Wales have to be a very strong contender for worst side in the tournament
Going forward, yeah, but probably they edge out Qatar by virtue of their decent defending. One big mistake by their keeper or they probably get 2 draws and concede one goal in their first 2 games.

I guess hindsight, they should have used Levitt in midfield?

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
After the end of the first 2 groups, what we've learned:

-Qatar was this WC's control group. It looked like a random selection of eleven guys making us appreciate how much better professionals are.
-Senegal wasn't Mane plus ten. Interesting team that could grow into the competition.
-LVG puts the rivals to sleep, then Gakpo finishes.
-Wales retired from the competition after achieving its main goal, which was Bale scoring.
-Iran is only allowed to score in injury time.
-The US team gets younger every game. If they get to the final, the match shall be played before bedtime.
-England qualified first of the group while scoring more than anyone and keeping two clean sheets, but their coach is apparently garbage.
-Kane is trying to keep the Guivarch/Toni/Torres/Giroud mantra that the CF of a champion team must score at least as possible.

Great matches tomorrow: Australia - Denmark for the second spot, and a Group D where everything can happen (well, no, Mexico can't top the group, but everything else can happen).

Last edited:

diarm

Have you watched Holland this tourney?
I have. Solid at the back and lacking ideas up top, but with a young lad having a moment.

They’ll comfortably have too much for the US and would probably grind out a win against a fair few other sides in the next couple of rounds.

Once they come up against a France, Brazil, Spain or Argentina they’ll be out though.

djembatheking

If England had needed to score six or seven goals tonight they would have done so with relative ease, Wales were diabolical again. As a matter of fact they were comfortably the worst team in this tournament -- bottom half Championship-level stuff from them from start to finish. Even Qatar put up a decent fight against Senegal and even Costa Rica have managed a (jammy) win.
Yep, taking Walker, Rice, Kane and then Shaw off with around half hour to go was cos Wales were terrible so it was time to rest key players and the players that stayed on just saw out the game like a training session really. England won`t get an easier game than that again.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s true that with Bale and Ramsey as washed up as they are, Wales are bottom half Championship level. At least they had that penalty moment against the USA. Should be proud of having made it as such a small nation.

Darkhorsez

Iran simply lacked quality in the final third, a couple of chances from crosses into the box but nothing sustained. USA deserved the win in the end.
That’s fair assessment. I think CQ set us up too defensive from the start similar to Ecuador in a way. We had more to give. USA over 3 games performances fully deserve their place in the next round.

UpWithRivers

I liked this England line up much better. 3 proper midfielders - not Mount as an 8 or 10 or whatever he is. Walker instead of Tripper. And I like Foden, Rashford or Saka for the wide positions. Personally I would take Foden + one of Rashford/Saka because those two are similar types of attackers. The balance is much better.

PieCrust

Although I don't expect the US to beat Holland, they have an outside chance.

jesperjaap

Casemeiro has been the stand uut player for me at the tournament so far, all the united guys are doing well and I still think Enzo Fernandez could be a break out star if Argentina can get out of the group.

As for England, I tipped us to win this tournament 6 years ago and was confident after the Euros and not so confident coming in. We have a decent chance, no side has really stood out so far (ofen happens in the group games) and all the sides look weak in certain areas.

I think we have been poor in every first half of our games so far. The tempo has been far too slow, the football negative, the first thought seems to be keep the ball and go sideways, until Henderson ame on the last game, none of the midfielders have come back to take the ball and make things happen an dbar the odd pass Maguire and Stones have been far too negative not to trust the midfielders to take the ball from them with there back to goal.

Yet both games when we have scored and even the USA in brief moments, when we have played with a tempo and moved the ball forward quikly and slickly we have looked as good as anybod at times.

My cocerns are we are either too tepid until it is too late (a bit like the Euros at times, or the manager is, he really cant use his bench unless we are winning properly. Still want to see Foden in front of Bellingham and Rice to give us the best chance of the slick football. Was all for Grealish and Saka o the flanks personally, but I feel Rashford has played himself in to the team.....we need a decent draw in the latter stages though and of course France is the worry

jesperjaap

I liked this England line up much better. 3 proper midfielders - not Mount as an 8 or 10 or whatever he is. Walker instead of Tripper. And I like Foden, Rashford or Saka for the wide positions. Personally I would take Foden + one of Rashford/Saka because those two are similar types of attackers. The balance is much better.
Agree with a lot of that, I so want to see Foden in the middle, he was isolated and drifting a lot of the frst half out wide and his slick passign and moving the ball I think will be negated against a biggger side where as in the middle he could really nit things together in a tight area. I just think the form of Rashford, the first performance of Saka, the experience of Sterling, the energy drivign forward Grealish brings.....we should be trying to fit 3 of them into the side.Hopefully Kane ca get his shootign boots on in the knockout stages.

Said before the tournament looking at the squads, this is one of the very few major tournments England have been in where our attacking options are amongst the very best in the tournament, still think we need to fully utilise that

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Obviously gutted wales went out with a whimper but I feel strangely ok with it, I think it’s had time to sink in after the first two matches plus I didn’t expect much this time, compared to 2016 say.

It was just a world cup too late for this team that had been put together. Still so proud of what this group of players have achieved. Changes needed now and it could be tough to beat turkey to 2nd spot in euro qualifiers

Kopral Jono

I think we've seen enough of the United States to be not fully convinced as to which version will turn up against Holland. A surprise could be on the cards if they manage to replicate their performance against England, but a repeat of last night's second half display and the only outcome I can foresee is a comfortable Holland win.

Pulisic's availability will be key.

LDUred

It's obvious that England have enough quality to look impressive against the also-rans, but against the bigger teams you sense they will come unstuck again. They looked clueless and badly coached against the US, who are decent but not exactly top tier.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
How on earth was Bale allowed to start if it's true he had done his hamstring before the match. He literally could not move for the first half. Shocking.

Kopral Jono

Bollocks. First half was a decent effort. Class was always going to tell in the end.
I disagree. The best Wales had to offer all tournament was a twenty minute spell in the second half against the United States. They never once looked threatening going forward, let alone scoring a goal, in their other games. Costa Rica have been diabolical, too, perhaps even slightly worse; but at least they've won a match and that counts for something.

A World Cup campaign four years too late.

croadyman

Yep, taking Walker, Rice, Kane and then Shaw off with around half hour to go was cos Wales were terrible so it was time to rest key players and the players that stayed on just saw out the game like a training session really. England won`t get an easier game than that again.
Would have been great to see Gallagher & Maddison get a little bit of time on the pitch late in the game with no pressure on

romufc

Not really, no. The worst European sides at this tournament are probably Poland and Wales and they're alright. Add 3 more for the new 48 team World Cup but let's make it 5 assuming Poland won't replace Lewandowski and Zielinski will be around but old (and their young talent is just okay) and say Wales (lacking a presence in attack, it's all skinny fast guys) drop out you're talking what, Italy and maybe 4 of Sweden, Scotland, Ukraine, Austria, Norway, Turkey and Romania, with the Turks especially having a ton of young talent in their spine, Norway looking potentially strong by 2026 and Romania doing well at youth tournaments and Austria better under Rangnick playing Red Bull/Bundesliga style ball that should make them tough to play against.

So yeah, the worst European side at this world cup at the moment looks like Wales and they were at 1-1 and 0-0 their first 2 games until the 85th minute and hell they may even beat England who knows. Serbia is a mess but a beautiful one.

Canada hosts the next one so we're in, but as a Canada fan, if we can't finish top 4 in Concacaf, we shouldn't be in. You can see that Costa Rica are getting everything they can out of their team. Jamaica can replace them now that they've added a bunch of good English players and while they're mostly too old for 2026, they should be real useful for qualifying and some of the older defensive types like Pinnock and DeCordova-Reid are good pros and Bailey and Hutchison can probably recruit more solid players who would make the England C or D teams like Demarai Gray, Rico Henry, Aarons or Ferguson at RB and Hayden and maybe even Gibbs-White (who would be massive, he's a quality #10). Let's say a 5th side can be passable and only blown out once, either Costa Rica or maybe more likely the young Panama side, but a 6th side is asking way too much of Concacaf and should be replaced by a European side.
I mean ofcourse a 48 team world cup will mean a less competitive world cup. FIFA are not doing this because they want a more competitive world cup, its all revenue related. The more teams at the WC means a further global reach in terms of fan audience and more fans coming into the country to support their country.

Although some European teams are good, I wouldn't say someone like Scotland are any better than Nigeria or Egypt.

slyadams

After the end of the first 2 groups, what we've learned:

-Qatar was this WC's control group. It looked like a random selection of eleven guys making us appreciate how much better professionals are.
-Senegal wasn't Mane plus ten. Interesting team that could grow into the competition.
-LVG puts the rivals to sleep, then Gakpo finishes.
-Wales retired from the competition after achieving its main goal, which was Bale scoring.
-Iran is only allowed to score in injury time.
-The US team gets younger every game. If they get to the final, the match shall be played before bedtime.
-England qualified first of the group while scoring more than anyone and keeping two clean sheets, but their coach is apparently garbage.
-Kane is trying to keep the Guivarch/Toni/Torres/Giroud mantra that the CF of a champion team must score at least as possible.

Great matches tomorrow: Australia - Denmark for the second spot, and a Group D where everything can happen (well, no, Mexico can't top the group, but everything else can happen).
I'm convinced Southgate knew exactly what he was doing against the USA. They're very young and almost certainly the fittest and most athletic side in the tournament, any one off tournament game against them was going to be tough. After drubbing Iran he knew the GD meant a point against the USA would be eough to effectively see us through, and he got it.

I think the US will beat the Netherlands btw.

NiceGuyEddie

I'm convinced Southgate knew exactly what he was doing against the USA. They're very young and almost certainly the fittest and most athletic side in the tournament, any one off tournament game against them was going to be tough. After drubbing Iran he knew the GD meant a point against the USA would be eough to effectively see us through, and he got it.
I think you might be right, it's the only way to explain why we looked set up to play for a draw vs USA. It really was ultra-negative, pragmatic stuff. I was disappointed with that game and thought we looked a bit cowardly, but on the other hand it meant we HAD to perform against the Welsh. Would rather that than a Bale testimonial match because we were already through.

NoPace

I mean ofcourse a 48 team world cup will mean a less competitive world cup. FIFA are not doing this because they want a more competitive world cup, its all revenue related. The more teams at the WC means a further global reach in terms of fan audience and more fans coming into the country to support their country.

Although some European teams are good, I wouldn't say someone like Scotland are any better than Nigeria or Egypt.
Capitalism bad, of course.

And I agree Africa has underrated depth. It's Concacaf and Asia getting too many spots.