Day 10: Switzerland vs Turkey | Italy vs Wales

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Wales have struggled here against a 2nd string Italian team , they will struggle in the next round.
Well yeah of course

The main aim for the likes of Wales is to get out of the group and then see what happens

marktan

Yeah my post is probably a bullshit opinion.
But they're playing against 10 men Wales since the 55th minute and are now subbing on their substitute keeper as well as any other outfield player that hadn't played yet.
Saving energy more than anything, don't win anything by scoring more here

RedDevilRoshi

Watched the Switzerland vs Turkey game. Some excellent goals.

Switzerland should just about have enough now to qualify as one of the four best 3rd place teams.

Turkey, I expected a lot more from in this tournament but they just looked like a bunch of strangers that had never seen each other before. Don’t know how this lot beat France.

PoTMS

Could get one of Russia/Finland in next round, would be favourites v either. Denmark 50/50.
No chance are Finland getting a result against Belgium. If Denmark win at home tomorrow, they will most likely finish second.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Wales have struggled here against a 2nd string Italian team , they will struggle in the next round.
Italy's second string are no mugs? And our first string has a few players not even in the PL and/or not playing every week (Rodon). It's a huge step up in class and to finish above Switzerland and Turkey is a good achievement and we'll have everyone back (bar Ampadu) and have a shot at qfs.

What should we have done? Piled forward, lost 4-0 and finished third in the group?

PoTMS

Wales very lucky to have drawn Italy last and face them in what was for them a dead rubber.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The third placed qualification is such a rubbish rule. Only the two absolutely useless 3rd placed teams miss out killing the value of the group stage. It's a bit of a wank tournament really.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Wales very lucky to have drawn Italy last and face them in what was for them a dead rubber.
A little, but ultimately they were good value for 2nd. Not their fault Switzerland a) couldn't beat Wales and b) got turned over by Italy.

Robertd0803

The third placed qualification is such a rubbish rule. Only the two absolutely useless 3rd placed teams miss out killing the value of the group stage. It's a bit of a wank tournament really.
Yeah imagine how tense that game would have been for both Wales and Switzerland if only second place went through.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The problem with extending 16 teams to 24.

Should have either left it as a quality 16 teams, which made the quality higher, or bring it to 32.

Except the 32 means even crapper teams get in and more smashed teams.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Italy looked good, probably best team going by performance.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Many years ago the World Cup also had same rules with 3rd place when only 24 teams enter

I think it’s important to have the 2nd round so only other option is to increase teams in the euros to 32. Also would not be against that

KC91

Verratti gives Mancini a lot to think about now, thought he looked great in his first game back, bossed the game for large periods. Chiesa was also impressive.

Smart from Wales to sit deep and try to lock up that 2nd spot, Italy probably should have gotten another though.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Italy looked good, probably best team going by performance.
I'm looking forward to seeing them in the knockouts because so far it's hard to tell quite how good they are as the rest of the group is so poor.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I mean, you've correctly identified that we're not world beaters, but nobody thought we were. I don't think we're much worse than even money against any of the three teams we could face.

Have already beaten Finland home and away this year, Russia rely on the big lump up front even more than we do, and are otherwise at a similar level, and Denmark without Eriksen are going to struggle to create much against anybody.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'd rather they just invite 32 teams and have 8 groups where 2 teams go through. It's not like the tournament would be that much worse with the likes of Norway and Greece also qualifying.

V.O.

Shock horror, the Welsh pundits don't agree with the red :rolleyes:
If it makes you feel better, the English commentator and English referee on ESPN didn't agree with it either.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I mean, you've correctly identified that we're not world beaters, but nobody thought we were. I don't think we're much worse than even money against any of the three teams we could face.

Have already beaten Finland home and away this year, Russia rely on the big lump up front even more than we do, and are otherwise at a similar level, and Denmark without Eriksen are going to struggle to create much against anybody.
My first thought when ITV said it was likely to be Finland/Denmark/Russia was that Wales could beat any of them. Should be a good game whoever it is.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I'm looking forward to seeing them in the knockouts because so far it's hard to tell quite how good they are as the rest of the group is so poor.
Every group bar the france/germany/portugal is piss poor

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You might laugh but it's true.

Yellows should be for niggly repeat fouls, counter stopping fouls, shirt pulling etc.

Anything semi dangerous like that should be an orange

Something fully dangerous = red.

Footballs officiating has moved passed just 2 cards now.

bonothom

This tournament is a farce. Wales are rewarded with a second round match against either Russia, Denmark or Finland all of which are pretty shit. And that's a reward for basically beating a shite Turkey team. England on the other hand, if they win their group will either play the World Champions, European Champions or Germany. What an absolute joke.

MU655

I think Earnshaw made a good point there. Those type of accidents happen in training a lot. It is going to happen in a match.

It wasn't even high; it is just completely unfortunate. I don't think those challenges should be red myself. I think a yellow is right.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Good result for Wales considering they had a man sent off with half hour left in the game. Thought they would get pumped from there. Second place is probably more than anyone expected.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Well that'll do in the end.

Should get a draw where we have a chance to win now anyway.

Overall it's just great to see Wales qualify and then get out of the group we've been so starved over the years.

V.O.

They created a lot against belgium though
That's fair to say, but I think that game was being played in a bit of a vacuum. Denmark were absolutely playing out of their skins with the emotion of it being the first match after the Eriksen incident. You might be right, I'd definitely fear them more than Finland and Russia anyway.