Day 10: Switzerland vs Turkey | Italy vs Wales

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This tournament is a farce. Wales are rewarded with a second round match against either Russia, Denmark or Finland all of which are pretty shit. And that's a reward for basically beating a shite Turkey team. England on the other hand, if they win their group will either play the World Champions, European Champions or Germany. What an absolute joke.
I mean, England also have a piss easy group and basically play all their games at home. The whole tournament is a farce

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Italy looked good, probably best team going by performance.
I've been very impressed with them. I haven't watched much over last couple of years but their attacking mentality, the intensity, joined up press... and ability. All good.

Likely get Ukraine... no mugs and energetic team too. That'll be a good barometer of where Italy are

TheReligion

Abusive
You might laugh but it's true.

Yellows should be for niggly repeat fouls, counter stopping fouls, shirt pulling etc.

Anything semi dangerous like that should be an orange

Something fully dangerous = red.

Footballs officiating has moved passed just 2 cards now.
No I'm trying to encourage @GoranIvanisevic to put together one of his threads championing the suggestion.

MU655

This tournament is a farce. Wales are rewarded with a second round match against either Russia, Denmark or Finland all of which are pretty shit. And that's a reward for basically beating a shite Turkey team. England on the other hand, if they win their group will either play the World Champions, European Champions or Germany. What an absolute joke.
But England finishing second get Slovakia, Sweden, or Poland.

Maybe Spain, but they aren't exactly scary with how bad they have been.

It is a bit stupid that first gets a harder draw than second.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I hope you're English and making this comment without a hint of irony after just getting to the semi-final of a World Cup without having to beat a single half decent side. :lol:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Don't forget we don't get to play any games at home unlike many other countries.

There's always one draw that's harder than the others... just happens to be England.

England weren't arsed when they had a clear run at the WC semis?

England aren't moaning about playing at home and games, hotel and training all close (while Wales go to fecking Azjerbaijan, then travel to Rome)?

And England's group is piss easy (with a decent manager) so they can rotate.

We got the no.1 ranked team in the last Euros. If England want to win, they'll have to beat the best teams... they won't

Dan_F

Only just seen the highlights. Obviously it wasn’t a great tackle, but it wasn’t really dangerous. Looks bad in slow motion, but there’s so many examples of stepping on player’s ankle that aren’t a red. I feel like that bar is definitely getting lower and lower for dangerous play.

kaiser00

But England finishing second get Slovakia, Sweden, or Poland.

Maybe Spain, but they aren't exactly scary with how bad they have been.

It is a bit stupid that first gets a harder draw than second.
Thats the luck of the draw. Why should they manipulate draws to suit the big teams!

djembatheking

Only just seen the highlights. Obviously it wasn’t a great tackle, but it wasn’t really dangerous. Looks bad in slow motion, but there’s so many examples of stepping on player’s ankle that aren’t a red. I feel like that bar is definitely getting lower and lower for dangerous play.
Will he miss the next game for that?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I hope you're English and making this comment without a hint of irony after just getting to the semi-final of a World Cup without having to beat a single half decent side. :lol:
This.

They're on the level of switzerland
So Italy will coast to a 3-0 win then? :)

They're close maybe but better, and a better mentality. Italy clear favourites and as I said, it'll be a barometer... do they control the game, win by 2 or 3 OR is it tighter and Italy go cautious. g

Really looking forward to the knock out rounds

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm looking forward to seeing them in the knockouts because so far it's hard to tell quite how good they are as the rest of the group is so poor.
Yeah it was poor group (or let's say average). I didn't know they are on 11 game winning streak and didn't concede a goal in those games. Some record that.

I barely watched them, surprised to see them playing so aggressively.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I've been very impressed with them. I haven't watched much over last couple of years but their attacking mentality, the intensity, joined up press... and ability. All good.

Likely get Ukraine... no mugs and energetic team too. That'll be a good barometer of where Italy are
Yeah, it was surprising to see how aggresive they are. Mancini did a good job I guess.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So Italy will coast to a 3-0 win then? :)

They're close maybe but better, and a better mentality. Italy clear favourites and as I said, it'll be a barometer... do they control the game, win by 2 or 3 OR is it tighter and Italy go cautious. g

Really looking forward to the knock out rounds
I would expect us to make short work of them, yeah

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Heard a lot of talk before the start about Turkey being a good shout for a strong run in the tournament.

That went well.

Withnail

That's just the luck of the draw.

If you have ambitions to win it you can't be afraid of anyone else.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Only question mark on Italy now will be how will they react if they going a goal down in knock out rounds. They are impressive in structural play and always maintain their five in defense structure.

Many said they yet to play stronger teams but they lost chiellini made some 9 changes into starting 11 yet they simply created chances at will.

I always thought club sides only play like that but Mancini done a fantastic job.

Last edited:

bonothom

England came 2nd in their group and then played Columbia who won their group, that's totally different to what's happening here. Having a 2nd placed team playing another 2nd placed team in the next round makes the whole format a farce. 16 teams for the Euros was perfect. A 24 team format makes the whole thing lopsided. You actually think its a good format that pits the World or European Champions or Germany against England who are currently ranked 4th in the Fifa rankings as early as the 2nd round? Its a pathetic format.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
England came 2nd in their group and then played Columbia who won their group, that's totally different to what's happening here. Having a 2nd placed team playing another 2nd placed team in the next round makes the whole format a farce. 16 teams for the Euros was perfect. A 24 team format makes the whole thing lopsided. You actually think its a good format that pits the World or European Champions or Germany against England who are currently ranked 4th in the Fifa rankings as early as the 2nd round? Its a pathetic format.
Yeah, so that's fine and this is a farce... unless of course your team come second and get a nice game against Sweden or Slovakia or whoever. Then it'll be fine again. :)

izec

How Verratti hasnt won MOTM is baffling :lol:
Chiesa was decent, but no where near as good. There was only one world class player on the pitch today being a class above anyone else really. I wonder who these Uefa technical observers are that decide it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Congrats to Turkey for going down as the worst dark horses of all time

Woodzy

Still can’t believe that red card but we deserved to lose. Did enough either way and proud of the performance.

Feels like 2016 again at the moment.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
You have to beat the best teams if you want to win, no excuses.

Draw was very good England at WC 2018.

red4ever 79

Proud of the boys. Wasn't the best game but a raft of changes intended to give some players a rest, should give us a half decent chance in the next round

el3mel

I don't get why they couldn't have just played the last 2 games of Group B today as well. This day just felt dead with 2 games in the same time and nothing more.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Right between the two?

I've seen ten stamps on the foot/around the ankle in this tournament and they've had yellows.

Arguably it's an inch or two higher but if yellow, VAR/ref would probably stick. Red, they stick too.
Yeah VAR hasn't really got involved much has it. There was a moment of disbelief all round when he pulled out the red.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He really doesn't. If he's fit he plays
Who misses out of interest, Barella, Loco or Jorginho? Locatelli and Jorginho been great so far so certs and would be harsh on Barella. Could take out one of Insigne/Berardi but 4-3-3 working very well for Italy so far.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
But England seem to be trying hard to finish second in their group, so in the end it all balances out.