Day 11: Australia vs Denmark | Tunisia vs France | Anti-Football vs Vargentina | Saudi Arabia vs Mexico

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
The Group of Death tomorrow will be exciting with all 4 teams who can still qualify to the next round. I completely forgot Germany is only on 1 point and they actually need to beat Costa Rica to qualify. Will be funny if history repeat itself and Costa Rica does a South Korea like 4 years ago and beat Germany on the final day to knock them out.
I honestly think that Costa Rica are in for a beating. However Germany have been far from convincing.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Messi didn't show up tonight, but Argentina won anyways. It's like what happened in the American Cup in 2021, Messi didn't show up in the Final but Argentina won thanks to Di Maria.

In the important games Messi never shows up, and he has to be saved by his teammates, always the same.
This is a massive troll post wtf

SAFMUTD

The odd thing was he was brilliant as the manager of Atlanta United and the team was always on the front foot.
Totally different with Mexico NT, against Argentina not only his set up was coward as feck but his statements before the match. I had never seen such a small mentality from a manager before.

Kopral Jono

Saudi Arabia will be kicking themselves for failing to capitalise on their chances against Poland. I reckon they would have been worthy group runners-up.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Terrible tactics, awful results, zero preparation for the future by selecting an old squad. My work here is done, you're welcome Mexico.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Mexico only have themselves to blame. Should have beat Poland and should have scored more against Saudi. They can’t rely on Argentina to do them a favour.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Yeah this is probably the best. While we like to think Ukraine and Italy would have been better Denmark and Poland, it really is better if Asia and Africa could develop more and potentially we see a WC champ outside Europe and South America.
Denmark have massively under achieved. Should have easily come runners up. Italy would have been better than Poland. All the best players in the world are from Europe or South America so it’s only ever gonna be one of them teams to win the WC.

RoyH1

Yeah this is probably the best. While we like to think Ukraine and Italy would have been better Denmark and Poland, it really is better if Asia and Africa could develop more and potentially we see a WC champ outside Europe and South America.
I’d love to see it, but I don’t think it’s going to happen in our lifetimes. The World Cup is so hard to win. It starts with bad quality football but the further you come along, the more the teams that have experience, deep squads and winning tradition pull through.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
While the concurrent 2nd halves yesterday were excting and gripping stuff, I thought that neither Poland or Mexico deserved to go through (even though of course one of them had as Saudi Arabia's hopes went up in smoke), given that they were both so negative in 2 out of their 3 matches. In the opener, I thought that Poland were even worse and even more negative than Mexico regardless of the penalty miss, and they were also pathetic yesterday. But I agree that Mexico only have themselves to blame.

A bad combination of a poor, clueless manager, the least talented group of Mexican players since the 70s, and institutional issues with Mexican football and their 'production pipeline'' in-particular, was always going to be problematic.

Lyng

We dissapointed. Given our player quality we should have easily beaten Tunisia and Australia.

Chief123

Messi didn't show up tonight, but Argentina won anyways. It's like what happened in the American Cup in 2021, Messi didn't show up in the Final but Argentina won thanks to Di Maria.

In the important games Messi never shows up, and he has to be saved by his teammates, always the same.
After he literally turned up for them last night in an important game?

Or did you just look at the match stats and saw he missed a penalty and made up your mind?

Chief123

It was funny hearing the commentators think it was all over for Mexico once Saudi scored a goal. Don’t think they realised it made no difference to the scenario. Mexico needed just one goal to go through regardless if Saudi scored or not.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
That has to the worst performance in a major tournament from a Danish side ever.

At least in euro2000, when we lost all three games, we went out to three really strong sides in France, Netherlands and Czech.

Going out after failing to beat Tunisia and Australia, in what should have been one of our easier qualifications for the next round, in the manner we played, is hard to make excuses for.

I genuinely don't understand how we ended up being so shit.

Lyng

That has to the worst performance in a major tournament from a Danish side ever.

At least in euro2000, when we lost all three games, we went out to three really strong sides in France, Netherlands and Czech.

Going out after failing to beat Tunisia and Australia, in what should have been one of our easier qualifications for the next round, in the manner we played, is hard to make excuses for.

yeah its pretty embarrasing. I will put some blame on DBU for waffling about so much about Qatar and the danish press for focusing so much on that instead of the football. Once it was clear we wouldnt boycut the whole thing they should have left the players alone.
That having been said there is no excuse for this showing and manager and players (bar Christensen) need to take a good hard look in the mirror and make sure this kind of display is not repeated.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
For starters, Italy didn't even fail at the last hurdle. It would be North Macedonia before them.

Their record since beating Italy reads W1D2L4, they beat Gibraltar and lost to the likes of Georgia and Azerbaijan.

antohan

Denmark have massively under achieved. Should have easily come runners up. Italy would have been better than Poland. All the best players in the world are from Europe or South America so it’s only ever gonna be one of them teams to win the WC.
Only way Italy would be here would be either Switzerland not being here (doing ok), Portugal not being here (doing ok) and also North Macedonia not being here (would be stinking up the place).

There's only that many get out of jail free cards you can wish for.

Lyng

You need strikers
While that is true, that doesnt change the fact that the rest of our squad should easily make up for that. Look at the leagues our players play in compared to where the Tunisia and Australia players play.

antohan

While that is true, that doesnt change the fact that the rest of our squad should easily make up for that. Look at the leagues our players play in compared to where the Tunisia and Australia players play.
Meh. That's irrelevant in a World Cup. Why would you hold it if it's about where the players play? Just hold a squad comparison point scoring competition.

It's about the ability of a ragged band to come together and produce something beautiful. I've no idea where the Moroccans play, but they would have had you on toast, both this time and the way they were performing in 2018.

What's strange is that most of your lot have been playing for ages, to a high standard, and there was no discernible evidence of that. I don't think the age profile is that much of an issue like with us (five guys on their 4th WC = slow defence and attack) so maybe it is the whole boycott thing.

Lyng

Meh. That's irrelevant in a World Cup. Why would you hold it if it's about where the players play? Just hold a squad comparison point scoring competition.

It's about the ability of a ragged band to come together and produce something beautiful. I've no idea where the Moroccans play, but they would have had you on toast, both this time and the way they were performing in 2018.

What's strange is that most of your lot have been playing for ages, to a high standard, and there was no discernible evidence of that. I don't think the age profile is that much of an issue like with us (five guys on their 4th WC = slow defence and attack) so maybe it is the whole boycott thing.
Of course its relevant to expectations. I think its only fair of danish fans to expect a team almost exclusively consisting of players from the top 5 leagues in europe, who got to a semifinal in the lates EC, to be able to put Tunisia and Australia away without much issue.
My point is our team played terrible apart from the France game, and even that wasnt up to the standards of the WC qualification.
How we played this Tournament Morocco would beat us with ease, I highly doubt they would beat us with how we played in the qualification though. Heck any other team probably would.

I do think the boycott has had an influence on the players, especially with how badly the DBU (danish FA) have handled the issue and the press. And on top of that the danish press have been attacking and questioning the players, instead of the DBU, which can have had an effect.
All of that is still no excuse for the absolute shit show they produced on the pitch.

Zetrio2002

Australia and Argentina should be given a medal for the greatest comeback in group history in world cup 2022.

Zetrio2002

Tunisia will beat France.

Well yeah it's because some players are past their peak but the coach cannot really just change them for younger stars. It will incur the wrath of the fans. Some of these players are Eriksen and Kasper.

It's the same for Uruguay. The coach is too afraid to drop Cavani or Surarez even though they are past their peak as well.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
For starters, Italy didn't even fail at the last hurdle. It would be North Macedonia before them.

Their record since beating Italy reads W1D2L4, they beat Gibraltar and lost to the likes of Georgia and Azerbaijan.
I was thinking more if they beat Switzerland instead of drawing with them, they would have qualified top of the first group.