Day 12: Canada vs Morocco | Croatia vs Belgium | Costa Rica vs Germany | Japan vs Spain

antk

I don't even know why people would think of Croatia as a better team than Morocco, especially with the supporters in the stadium. The only easier match would be the QF, but then the potential SF is probably tougher.

antk

Have you watched the games of both teams?
I guess we could argue about the Croatian team having more experience at this level though, but I don't think they've been playing noticeably better than Morocco at all so far.

Zetrio2002

Actually, Spain had two close chances in the dying minutes against Japan. It would have knocked Japan out and Germany through, had the Japanese not been attentive. So Spain did not purposely lose but they were a bit off their best because they didn't have to be. It's just like France losing to Tunisia.

Japan showed great spirit of playing till the end. Germany left it too late to orchestrate a comeback. For many nations, Germany needs to be knocked out as soon as possible because they are traditional comeback king.

tjb

Disgrace from the Spanish team, losing on purpose so they dot have to play Croatia or Brazil, I hope they get knocked out, cnuts.
Spain were actually trying, they just don't have firepower and are not creative enough.
Commentators were so focused on the fact they could hold possession, but didn't really go into the weakness that they have in dealing with a bit of pressure from the opposition. Japan increased the tempo and Spain conceded twice. coming from behind, they struggled to break Japan down and really didn't create anything in that second half. Their wingers couldn't take advantage of 1v1 opportunities or combine for an overlap. Their lack of quality at the no.9 position also made it harder to get through the middle. They will struggle to break down a tough team and I really don't think they can pull off a come from behind victory.

croadyman

Congrats Japan

As i said, France, England, and Portugal wont be happy that Spain are in their side of the draw; Obviously beatable but a horrible team to play against.
Yeah pity they couldn't go as well,unfortunately Costa Rica took the lead far too early for them to join Germany in departures.

Tap

They're not 'giving some'. Germany's actions weren't 'banter'. It was to highlight LGBTQ not having a voice in Qatar.

"Yout treatment of LGBTQ individuals is not right."
"Ha but you got knocked out the WC!!!"

Is not 'giving some and taking some'.
Maybe the germans should have boycotted the WC if they feel that strongly about this.

I would also like to see non western football teams highlight the social and foreign policy problems of the host nation the next time the WC is held on European or on north American soil. There are plenty of human rights violations that can be highlighted too.

croadyman

What a wild turn of events that. Football and unpredictability eh. Ability wise and performance wise they easily could have gone all the way, not like they were Belgium where they just played like shit. Didn't take their chances in 1 game and suddenly out of their hands. Spain took it easy in the last game and never felt the need to go for the win, and they end up losing. Blowing up everyone's brackets.

Brazil suddenly with a piss easy route to the semi final, where they play Netherlands/Argentina, or a minnow. They're as good as in the final then IMO.

Englands side of the draw suddenly loaded.
Well after the last two tournaments you certainly can't say it's the favourable route this time

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I guess we could argue about the Croatian team having more experience at this level though, but I don't think they've been playing noticeably better than Morocco at all so far.
Thing is people clap at dark horses but fully expect them to trip over at the next hurdle.

Morocco quite clearly is the sort of team Spain isn't best equipped to deal with. They already gave them a rough ride back in 2018. Worse Spain? Maybe, but this is also a better Morocco.

KeanoMagicHat

Yeah Morocco are a good side. Don’t see it as any harder than Croatia. In fact if they’re never gonna have the ball with all that Spain possession then Morocco might be a better team for that counter game than Croatia.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Would never have guessed at the start of the world cup that both Belgium and Germany would fail to get out of their groups. Always great to see some upsets and different nations making it through to the next stage.

croadyman

Would never have guessed at the start of the world cup that both Belgium and Germany would fail to get out of their groups. Always great to see some upsets and different nations making it through to the next stage.
What a pity Spain's plan didn't backfire too

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What a mad night of football. Cost Rica vs Germany was a mental game which just so open. Neuer has been shocking in his tournament. On the other hand Japan absolute ripped Spain on the counter. Excellent display.

Spain are a weird one. I love their midfield and the way they control things. But at the business ends of the pitch they are lacking. I mean they actually don't have an attack unless Morata is considered that. It's just a lot of CMs. And then in defence the keeper fecked up, Pau Torres looks like another Lindelof and Busquets is past it.

whitbyviking

Is there a more annoying and entitled man in football than Souness? He is unwatchable. It’s painful listening to his sclerotic attempts at commentary and his mental gymnastics to justify how pros and those working in the game are somehow above all others. He was a hero at Middlesbrough as the ultimate old school “Everyman”. Now he’s just an utterly deluded and irritating windbag.

Alemar

Disgrace from the Spanish team, losing on purpose so they dot have to play Croatia or Brazil, I hope they get knocked out, cnuts.
Maybe they will. Last WC they dominated 1/8 match vs Russia but never scored, and then lost on penalties

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Yeah Morocco are a good side. Don’t see it as any harder than Croatia. In fact if they’re never gonna have the ball with all that Spain possession then Morocco might be a better team for that counter game than Croatia.
I watched most of the games in that group and I also watched the previous Afcon. Morocco are the real deal, they have a very good team this time around and they are even better now than in the previous world cup or Afcon.

Croatia on the other hand are sliding, many players getting old but still something in the tank. Modric is good but he has lost a step. Can get late sometimes studs up which might give him a red card against high profile teams. No threat from right wing either, it's all from Perisic on the left.

Morocco wouldn't need to adapt, they'll just play on the counter like against Croatia. They will also have extra motivation with the history and political dimension between the neighbouring countries. Croatia on the other hand would likely need to play on the counter against Spain and I haven't seen that side of them yet.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I only watched the 2nd half but watching the last 30 mins of normal time in the Spain/Japan game was unreal.
I was focused on the Japan back 4 (& 5 a lot of times). It was like they were tied together with a short string how they moved in unison. Their goalie had virtually nothing to do for ages as the back line restricted Spain to passing the ball side to side forever.

One commentator called Spain’s passing metronomic, which I thought was a great description.

Last edited:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Undone by the raw power of the Bundesliga-steeled Japan players. Siri, define irony for me!

;)

rollingstoned1

People are doing this all over social media. :lol:

This seems a little like trying to judge whether a fielder took a catch close to the ground in cricket where apparently the cameras actually are less reliable than the human eye in real time in assessing it where the ball looks like it's hitting the ground when it's not due to a missing frame. I am not sure, but the ball crossing the line is something that seems more cut and dried than that.

Sildegil

I dont think it was planned for Spain to lose on purpose. If it was (the plan), it would be a bad one as they would propably face one of the two best counter attack teams of the tournament : France or England.

Real Name

I don't even know why people would think of Croatia as a better team than Morocco, especially with the supporters in the stadium. The only easier match would be the QF, but then the potential SF is probably tougher.
What?

Real Name

What a wild turn of events that. Football and unpredictability eh. Ability wise and performance wise they easily could have gone all the way, not like they were Belgium where they just played like shit. Didn't take their chances in 1 game and suddenly out of their hands. Spain took it easy in the last game and never felt the need to go for the win, and they end up losing. Blowing up everyone's brackets.

Brazil suddenly with a piss easy route to the semi final, where they play Netherlands/Argentina, or a minnow. They're as good as in the final then IMO.

Englands side of the draw suddenly loaded.
I dont get this. Certainly that side is easier for Brazil then the other but people are treating Croatia as a team which can be easily passed. Maybe I'm too subjective, I probably am.

Oranges038

Anyone really believe Spain tanked it?

Come on folks.
Japan played well and defended brillaintly. But, Spain played like a team that knew they didn't need to win. There was a real lack of intensity in their play.

This just made it easier for Japan to defend, drop off, get numbers behind the ball and keep their shape. Then they were aggressively pressing when they had to and didn't give them any time and space to play around the box.

fallengt

Anyone really believe Spain tanked it?

Come on folks.
Spain didn't try to attack from 50' -73', not even a single shot on target or pass inside the box, just lifeless sideway passes between defenders (I know "it's Spain" but this was more than usual even for their standard).
They attacked for 10minutes during the short period that Costa Rica was 2nd in the race then stopped again after GER' equalizer.

Real Name

Spain didn't try to attack from 50' -73', not even a single shot on target or pass inside the box, just lifeless sideway passes between defenders (I know "it's Spain" but this was more than usual even for their standard).
They attacked for 10minutes during the short period that Costa Rica was 2nd in the race then stopped again after GER' equalizer.
I didnt see it that way. Maybe there's some data to back it up?

Real Name

Japan played well and defended brillaintly. But, Spain played like a team that knew they didn't need to win. There was a real lack of intensity in their play.
There wasnt so much intensity against Germany also.
I think its about people seeing what they want to see and believe.

Hulme91

I dont think it was planned for Spain to lose on purpose. If it was (the plan), it would be a bad one as they would propably face one of the two best counter attack teams of the tournament : France or England.
That's my opinion as well. I they think they match up far better against Brazil/Argentina than France/England
It would be a bizarre choice to lose on purpose