Maguire 7
Shaw 7

Rice 5
Phillips 6

Saka 7 MOTM
Kane 6
Grealish 7
Sterling 7
Swap the scores for Rice/Phillips and reduce Kane to a 4 or maybe 5.

Biased maybe, but Maguire for MOTM, Saka did little or nothing second half.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Rather see how good we actually are against a proper team than slug our way further into the tournament. We need to be tested, even if we end up failing, so be it.
We scored 2 goals, in 3 games, against some poor international teams. Croatia have aged horribly and Czech Republic and Scotland are average at best.

This is not a team that performs better against better opposition. If we struggle against these 3 then we are likely to be out next round because it’s clear that whoever we play will only need 1 goal.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I don't like this 3rd place team qualify bollocks, is that a new thing as I don't remember it in past tournaments

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I'm laughing my arse off, mate.

"First point in a tournament in 23 years" you told me. Called me an arrogant bellend too for pointing out how fecking stupid the celebrations were, and yet, here we are.
Yup here we are, still you on a forum talking about Scotland after your team won. Weird obsession.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There's obviously a fair bit not right with this team, and we look a level below the best here. We are just far too slow in our transition up the pitch. Easy to play against, and for that reason I understand Southgates relatively conservative approach. We just don't have the footballers to be able to control a game in the middle of the pitch

saivet

We weren't really threatened at all tonight but that was a real disappointing display from England. They created feck all but getting dominated at home against Czech Republic is poor.

Job done with the group, hopefully we can step it up next week as we will need to see better.

Redfrog

All this talent just to play Rice and Philips as a double pivot. Surely Southgate can come up with something better then that ?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't like this 3rd place team qualify bollocks, is that a new thing as I don't remember it in past tournaments
Group stage is a mockery, have to be woeful to go out.

More games = more money. CL will be similar after next changes.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Yup here we are, still you on a forum talking about Scotland after your team won. Weird obsession.
Aye, never heard of in football to take the piss out of local rivals when they've shat it. Not the done thing at all.

Ananke

We’re gonna get rinsed by any of those teams let’s face it. Judging on tonight’s performance, pockets of excitement against “Czech”, just imagine Portugal/Germany/France. It’s gonna be no lube jobby.

A-man

They were talking on tv that Czech Republic didn’t want to win because then you will face France, Germany or Portugal the next round. Anybody who knows about that?

siw2007

Good result for England, 2nd half was utterly pointless but we’ve got the win and topped out group. Steady performance overall, Maguire was very good on return.

Realistically, we are up against it next week, whether it’s France, Germany or Portugal, we’ve got very tough opposition and not many will back us. So we need to make sure we use this week well to prepare as best as we can.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Vulnerable left is because Sterling does nothing defensively and loses the ball pretty often. Saka is much better at contributing at the back and carrying the ball forward.
Completely agree. Jack and Sterling didn't track but if you are playing two CDMs - you would expect Rice to cover that flank whilst Phillip goes central and Saka shift across.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
They were talking on tv that Czech Republic didn’t want to win because then you will face France, Germany or Portugal the next round. Anybody who knows about that?
They were sort of trying I think, but not exactly busting a gut. But then England played a very conservative approach in the second half too. It was never going to be the best game with both sides already through.

Redfrog

Aye, never heard of in football to take the piss out of local rivals when they've shat it. Not the done thing at all.
Enjoy it as soon enough Scotland won’t be local anymore, they’ll be in Europe and you’ll play the commonwealth cup instead ;)

MU655

I hate when pundits refuse to criticise the team. We need Souness on there to bring some truth.

Bangalla

Haha England fans complaining about the England team is almost too much fun! Sleepwalking through the group games is a well-known recipe for success in the later stages, or has often been before at least.

A-man

They were sort of trying I think, but not exactly busting a gut. But then England played a very conservative approach in the second half too. It was never going to be the best game with both sides already through.
It’s a special game I guess when both teams have already advanced and the winner probably will get a difficult opponent in the next round.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
There's obviously a fair bit not right with this team, and we look a level below the best here. We are just far too slow in our transition up the pitch. Easy to play against, and for that reason I understand Southgates relatively conservative approach. We just don't have the footballers to be able to control a game in the middle of the pitch
Definitely. The hope for me is once we come up against better teams who will control the play we'll be able to get some joy on the counter. The worry is the two centre mids he's picking were poor at progressing the ball today and will Gareth give the fullbacks and wide players license to tear into the opposition in those situations? I thought in transition we were a disgrace today, the amount of times we're playing it back to the goalkeeper or slowly around the defensive players was untrue. I'd have liked to have seen us start to look lethal going at a team, who to be fair had a fair amount of the ball in the second half, but the lack of impetus to get back at the Czechs today was poor.