Group D
Ref: Fernando Rapallini (Argentina)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Match 32
Tuesday 22 June, 21.00 CET @ Wembley Stadium, London
Group D
Ref: Artur Soares Dias (Portugal)​

Raredaredevil

I didn't realize that Scotland is playing at home...why is Croatia categorized as the home team. Anyway trivial issue aside, I think Croatia will beat Scotland and England will beat Czech.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Can’t see England progressing past the round of 16 if they top the group, with France and Germany being potential opponents.

IncyWincySpider

I'll be watching England but I'm more interested in Scotland's result than ours. I hope they can pull some magic out of somewhere and qualify in third place with a win over Croatia.

BlahRules

Do we have an idea on which team we will play if came first, second or third?

Hughes35

Why are these both on at 8PM? Seems odd to me.

Wouldn't it be better to have a 5PM and 8PM KO?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
All or nothing today. Expect it to be an open game with a few goals. Not sure who that favours more. We have more younger energetic players than Croatia but they have the more experienced and mature heads when it comes to game management. Too hard to predict but I hope we manage it.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Anyone else expecting England & Czech Rep to deliver a shocker tonight? Both teams already qualified. I can see a pre season friendly tempo & another 0-0.

Scotland & Croatia should be fun, both need to go for it.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fully expecting a shit show of a 0-0
It’s the Southgate way. He’ll get his 2nd place, We’ll squeeze past Sweden or Slovakia & then go out with a whimper in the QF to France or Germany. He’ll remain in the job because “there’s no shame going out to Germany/France” & he’ll lead us into another World Cup failure next year. Football will not be coming home under Gareth Southgate.

TheGame

Anyone else expecting England & Czech Rep to deliver a shocker tonight? Both teams already qualified. I can see a pre season friendly tempo & another 0-0.

Scotland & Croatia should be fun, both need to go for it.
If England freshen up the personnel then hopefully we might get a better performance. Although rumours of Henderson starting over Bellingham don't fill me with confidence.

saivet

Do we have an idea on which team we will play if came first, second or third?
England 1st:
2nd in Group F: France, Germany, Portugal or Hungary

England 2nd:
2nd in Group E: Sweden, Slovakia, Spain or Poland

England 3rd: (requires Czech and Scotland to win and Scotland to better our GD)
Either; Belgium, Netherlands or winner of Group E (Sweden, Slovakia, Spain or Poland)*

*Assuming a Group F teams qualifies in 3rd.

The exact third place draw won't be known until the four best placed 3rd placed teams are known.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
England 1st:

England 2nd:

Either; Belgium, Netherlands or winner of Group E (Sweden, Slovakia, Spain or Poland)*

The exact third place draw won't be known until the four best placed 3rd placed teams are known.
Unless Hungary manages to finish second, first place really doesn't look tempting.

BlahRules

England 1st:

England 2nd:

Thanks for simplifying this for me. We need to get second for us to have a chance of getting into the quarter final.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I want to win the group. Who cares if we play France in the next game or the game after that?

Nobody gives a shit if you go out in the last 16 or quarters or semis.

RedDevilRoshi

All or nothing today. Expect it to be an open game with a few goals. Not sure who that favours more. We have more younger energetic players than Croatia but they have the more experienced and mature heads when it comes to game management. Too hard to predict but I hope we manage it.
For me, I think the first 15-20 mins are going to be very nervy. First goal is going to be crucial.

If we score it, it will give the players and the crowd a huge lift.
If we concede it then I’m worried it is going to see a few players drop their heads.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I want to win the group. Who cares if we play France in the next game or the game after that?

Aye. If you don't win the group, it means England have produced yet another dreary performance, which means they aren't fit to take on anyone.

I would be prioritising the performance first as that is the only way you are going to have a hope of winning the competition.

IncyWincySpider

If it's another 0-0 and England get booed off the pitch again they'll probably be glad to get away from Wembley for the next game.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Unless Hungary manages to finish second, first place really doesn't look tempting.
Thanks for simplifying this for me. We need to get second for us to have a chance of getting into the quarter final.

No we don't, it then means a tougher draw for the rest of the tournament for the sake of one game. We need to win the group.
Exactly, nonsense talk about coming 2nd in the group.
Like @duffer has said "Last-16-Round or another quarter-final makes no difference"......in my opinion at least a semi-final would be positive.

BUT the whole way to a final is easier on the paper as group winner!!!!!!!!!

Group Winner
Last 16 Round:
France/Germany/Portugal
Quarter-final: Spain/Sweden/Poland
Semi-final: Netherlands/Denmark/Wales

2nd Place
Last 16 Round:
Spain/Sweden/Poland
Quarter-final: France/Germany/Portugal
Semi-final: Belgium/Italy

And England would have home advantage with 45k at Wembley as group winner.

I can't see England will beat France/Germany/Portugal in the quarter-final and then Belgium/Italy in a semi-final.

BUT i would say Spain and the Netherlands are on the level of England.

MU655

England should aim to win every game. It is arrogant to do otherwise. People are talking about finishing second, but with that you are also risking finishing third. We could end up playing Belgium then.

I hope we don't camp in our own half again. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost this time if we do that.

saivet

Like others have said, while it's an easier fixture on paper, the other fixtures in the QF/SF aren't as appealing.

Also finish top and that game R16 game against 2nd in group F will be at Wembley.

duffer

Scout
I'd like to see a little rotation, not just Mount getting replaced.

.................Pickford
Trippier Maguire Stones Shaw
.........Rice....Bellingham...........
Sancho.....Grealish......Rashford
...................Kane.......................

He won't make that many changes though.

TheGame

I'd like to see a little rotation, not just Mount getting replaced.

.................Pickford
Trippier Maguire Stones Shaw
.........Rice....Bellingham...........
Sancho.....Grealish......Rashford
...................Kane.......................

He won't make that many changes though.
Agree with this but Rice or Phillips as sole DM and Bellingham and Grealish pushing further forward. It might actually make sense to rest John Stones for this match considering England are not stacked enough in defence.

duffer

Scout
Agree with this but Rice or Phillips as sole DM and Bellingham and Grealish pushing further forward. It might actually make sense to rest John Stones for this match considering England are not stacked enough in defence.
Yeah, Rice or Phillips would be fine.

Also, might be an idea to give Shaw a rest. If he picks up a knock then we're fecked. I'd rather have Trippier playing out of position today than in a game we can't afford to lose.

Hughes35

I'd like to see:

------------------------------------Pickford-------------------------------------
James--------------Stones---------------Maguire-----------------Chilwell
-------------------------------------Phillips----------------------------------------
----------------------Bellingham-----------Grealish--------------------------
Sancho----------------------------Kane-----------------------------------Rashford

I highly doubt we will see this but it's what I would play. Kane to come off after hopefully getting a goal, Maguire to come off after 60.

Shaw to come in for the next round and other players fighting for places.

Gonçalo Motta

England road to the final will be hard either way.

Spain is really underwhelming but bar that England will potentially play against Portugal/France/Germany either in the 16-Round or QF and in the Semi-Final Belgium/Netherlands/Italy.

Pretty sure this English side will get steamrolled by France and Germany and would struggle against Portugal/Belgium/Netherlands and Italy.
The thing is, England is not the superior side if you compare them to any of those teams.
Either they are a tier below France and Germany or at a similar level to the rest of the teams they have to play against (bar Spain)

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I'd like to see:

------------------------------------Pickford-------------------------------------
James--------------Stones---------------Maguire-----------------Chilwell
-------------------------------------Phillips----------------------------------------
----------------------Bellingham-----------Grealish--------------------------
Sancho----------------------------Kane-----------------------------------Rashford

I highly doubt we will see this but it's what I would play. Kane to come off after hopefully getting a goal, Maguire to come off after 60.

Shaw to come in for the next round and other players fighting for places.
And you‘d be correct since Chilwell (together with Mount) is not available due to potential Covid exposure.