Day 13: Ghana vs Uruguay | South Korea vs Portugal | Cameroon vs Brazil | Serbia vs Switzerland

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Match 45
Friday 02 December, 15.00 GMT @ Al Janoub Stadium
Group H

Match 46
Friday 02 December, 15.00 GMT @ Education City Stadium
Group H

Match 47
Friday 02 December, 19.00 GMT @ Lusail Stadium
Group G

Match 48
Friday 02 December, 19.00 GMT @ Stadium 974
Group G​

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Going for a Switzerland win, Brazil & Switzerland go through.

Brazil will get a few goals but will rest key players.

Uruguay Win, and S Korea drawing with Portugal. Portugal & Uruguay go through.

ElectroManiac

Hoping for an Antony start and a rest for Casemiro. They already trough to the next round, so they don't need Casemiro for this, and will be good for Antony to get some minutes

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Genuine question - is that Ghana vs. Uruguay game from 2010 one of the best games of this century? or if not "best" (as that's hard to define) then at least one of the most memorable?

Hopefully tomorrow's game can also be a cracker.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Genuine question - is that Ghana vs. Uruguay game from 2010 one of the best games of this century? or if not "best" (as that's hard to define) then at least one of the most memorable?

Friday.

Excuse the AI generated David Attenborough narrator. Quite epic and memorable game for sure.

BorisManUtd

As a team, Switzerland are better and they played better against Brazil than we did. But on Friday, win somehow and we're through to knockout stages for the 1st time since 1998. Just go for it, not like Switzerland are unbeatable or anything.

Hope Ghana go through as well and get a revenge against Uruguay for that 2010 loss. That was heartbreaking way to get knocked out.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Hopefully they get Darwin Nuñez sent off and he stops messing everything up.

PieCrust

2010 Suarez hand ball was one of the best shithouse moments ever. Missing the penalty was the icing. I don't care what you Nancies think about it, was amazing. Suarez is a legend.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Ghana knocking Uruguay out would be too much of a feel good story for it to actually happen.
Why would it be feel good?

It isn't like Suarez got away with his handball and Ghana were robbed.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Meh. Suarez did a shithouse thing because he's a cnut but it wasn't a Maradona or Henry situation where he actually got away with it. There was a penalty, red card and he missed the semi-final, which is as much as he could be punished.

Obviously if the rules allowed for a goal to be awarded in situations like that it would be more fitting, but they don't. You just get a penalty and they failed to score that penalty.

God knows he's done plenty worse. At least this was within the realms of what you'd expect normal, non-racist footballers to do.

antohan

Ghana knocking Uruguay out would be too much of a feel good story for it to actually happen.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If it works as a feel good story to bury the hatchet that would be awesome.

My worry the way people keep banging on about it is:
  • Ghana loses: opposite outcome
  • Ghana wins but the game is as much Mortal Kombat reloaded as the original: continuing "feud"
This is all the British media's doing really. The moment England got spanked by Germany they were left with quarters featuring Germany, Spain, Netherlands, 4 South Americans and... Ghana.

So the new story was "it's Africa's time", BBC in particular went full on massively. Did they think it was remotely possible? Probably not, but hey, you need people engaged and the inevitable heartbreak story is great content too.

That ending scripted it all beautifully, villain and all, but there's nothing any pro footballer would have done differently from Suárez. Nothing at all.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If it works as a feel good story to bury the hatchet that would be awesome.

My worry the way people keep banging on about it is:
  • Ghana loses: opposite outcome
  • Ghana wins but the game is as much Mortal Kombat reloaded as the original: continuing "feud"
It's not about British narratives. A detestable player committed an act of cheating. People want to see him and his get his just desserts even if it's 12 years later when that team is finished and Suarez is kinda fat.

antohan

It's not about British narratives. A detestable player committed an act of cheating. People want to see him and his get his just desserts even if it's 12 years later when that team is finished and Suarez is kinda fat.
The build up and aftermath was, absolutely. Paul Scholes did the exact same thing once. Do you hate him too?

As Suárez put it at the presser earlier today "I handballed, got penalised, sent off and missed the semifinal. I didn't take the penalty, missing it wasn't my fault". Too right.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The ire against Suarez boils down to: a penalty (0.77 xG) isn't probably a fair exchange for a ball that was going in the net.

He's well within his rights to not apologize. Ghana fans are well within their rights to continue to fume (I still hear about that Henry handball till today). The Ghana players should just block that noise out and focus on their natural game.

antohan

The Ghana players should just block that noise out and focus on their natural game.
This. Drawing inspiration from a day you failed isn't the best idea.

Also, may as well leave this here: high quality clip where you can see

1. it wasn't a foul to begin with (there are better angles like here at 0:25 but never got shown live, there wasn't even a replay)

2. when the Ghana player flicks the ball two Ghana players are offside, both intervene thereafter, the one at the edge of the box being the one heading it right before the handball

If anything, we were robbed of playing Suárez in the semifinal.

People should just appreciate it for what it truly was: a cracking World Cup knockout game.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
This. Drawing inspiration from a day you failed isn't the best idea.

Also, may as well leave this here: high quality clip where you can see

1. it wasn't a foul to begin with (there are better angles like here at 0:25 but never got shown live, there wasn't even a replay)

2. when the Ghana player flicks the ball two Ghana players are offside, both intervene thereafter, the one at the edge of the box being the one heading it right before the handball

If anything, we were robbed of playing Suárez in the semifinal.

People should just appreciate it for what it truly was: a cracking World Cup knockout game.
Yep spot on.

The idea that Ghana were robbed or hard done by in 2010 vs. Uruguay, has got to be one of the biggest footballing falsehoods / myths that I've ever heard.

1) The same player whose shot Suarez blocked, Dominic Adiyiah, dived (he threw himself to the ground) to win the originating free-kick.
2) As you said, any goal should have been ruled out for offside. It was clear to me at the time that Appiah was Ghana was offside after the ball was headed on after the free-kick was taken.

Also earlier in extra-time, Uruguay were denied a blatant penalty when Paintsil fouled Abreu (his winning paneka in the shootout was brilliant) in the box.

Ghana had absolutely no right to feel cheated or wronged that day. I supported Uruguay as the UK commentary was insufferable and so biased in favour of Ghana (I remember the commentator saying 'we're all Ghana fans now').

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Always looked at that Ghana Suarez incident as a great World Cup moment. The drama of it all

And anyone saying that would begrudge their own player doing the same is a lier. But at same time don’t blame Ghana for still feeling the sting from it all

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
I hope Portugal fields their B team, we need to beat them and hope Ghana doesnt win.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I hope Portugal fields their B team, we need to beat them and hope Ghana doesnt win.
It will not be the B team but we will rest some players

BorisManUtd

Possible lineup for tomorrow.
Casemiro and Fred rested while Antony and Telles get to start, that would be perfect. Not sure their manager would just change whole starting lineup but we'll see. Much is about Serbia and Switzerland tomorrow and who is to go through out of those 2 teams but Cameroon will believe. Even with their 2nd string you'd expect Brazil to take at least point against Cameroon, but who knows.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Ghana fans, look away.

I'm fully with Suarez he took a huge gamble getting a red, its not his fault they missed the pen.

If someone did that to England and Kane missed its on Kane not the other teams player.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
These groups all to play for. I fancy Uruguay and Serbia to get the wins to both come runners up in their groups.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
There will some changes in the defense. You just can't play ultra defensive and wait for last minute miracles. If you go for it, you may have a chance. If not we will punish Korea.

Be bold like Japan and perhaps you have the same reward.

BorisManUtd

Ghana fans, look away.

It's a choice between:

1. If he doesn't do it, Ghana score and win the game as it all was happening around 120th minute.
2. If he does it, his country going 1 man down doesn't mean much so late in the game and penalty can be saved, though it's improbable. Hard to blame him, as much as it was heartbreaking for Ghana.