Day 13: Ghana vs Uruguay | South Korea vs Portugal | Cameroon vs Brazil | Serbia vs Switzerland

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I hope Portugal fields their B team, we need to beat them and hope Ghana doesnt win.
If anything, the last few days proved anyone is beatable and, in my opinion, that VAR will decide whatever delivers more entertainment.

Wouldn't be shocked if you win and fully expect you to do so if Uruguay do. Rollercoaster with permutations galore.

Irwin99

Portugal and Brazil pretty much certain to finish top of their groups and will probably send out weaker teams. Switzerland and South Korea the other teams to progress I think.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
There will some changes in the defense. You just can't play ultra defensive and wait for last minute miracles. If you go for it, you may have a chance. If not we will punish Korea.

Be bold like Japan and perhaps you have the same reward.
Yea I agree, I think Portugal wont play as defensively as Ghana and Uruguay did, it might open space for Son to finally get going. Hopefully Cho keeps his form up, he'll have to play a major part if we want to win.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
If anything, the last few days proved anyone is beatable and, in my opinion, that VAR will decide whatever delivers more entertainment.

Wouldn't be shocked if you win and fully expect you to do so if Uruguay do. Rollercoaster with permutations galore.
If it's anything like tonight has been, my heart won't be able to take it. Hopefully Uruguay can beat Ghana, you have enough talent to do it even though it hasnt really clicked yet. Good luck though!

Cloud7

Imagine if Suarez somehow manages to commit a handball again

croadyman

Portugal and Brazil pretty much certain to finish top of their groups and will probably send out weaker teams. Switzerland and South Korea the other teams to progress I think.
Yeah would take serious goal swings for either to get dropped down to second in their groups

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Uruguay are the only team in the whole tournament that haven’t scored a goal yet.

croadyman

Looks unlikely but a 2-0 win for Ghana and a 1-0 or 2-1 defeat for Portugal has them top the group on goals scored

Likewise a 2-0 win for Switzerland and a 1-0 defeat for Brazil (yeah no chance) gives them a shot at top spot. We might be in number of yellow cards territory then.

Last edited:

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Imagine wheeling Suarez of all people out for the pre match press conference and pretending that the handball issue is a non matter and we should all move on..? Uruguay definitely know what they're doing. Pressure is on them to win and they're trying to bait Ghana into playing into the anger/revenge narrative which will pretty much suit Uruguay.

PieCrust

Imagine wheeling Suarez of all people out for the pre match press conference and pretending that the handball issue is a non matter and we should all move on..? Uruguay definitely know what they're doing. Pressure is on them to win and they're trying to bait Ghana into playing into the anger/revenge narrative which will pretty much suit Uruguay.
Love it. Go Uruguay. The hero we don't deserve, the hero we need.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Imagine wheeling Suarez of all people out for the pre match press conference and pretending that the handball issue is a non matter and we should all move on..? Uruguay definitely know what they're doing. Pressure is on them to win and they're trying to bite Ghana into playing into the anger/revenge narrative which will pretty much suit Uruguay.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I also hope that South Korea beat a weakened Portugal team, to make things more interesting in terms of who progresses alongside Portugal in Group G.

Another point on the Ghana-Uruguay grudge match, but it goes without saying that Uruguay were more hard done by than Ghana in 2010. They had to play their semi-final against the Netherlands without Suarez. Had it not been for Dominic Adiyiah's / Ghana's cheating to win the free-kick (it should have been a yellow card to Adiyiah and a free-kick to Uruguay to restart play), and / or had the officials flagged and stopped play when Appiah was offside, Suarez wouldn't have been in the position in which he needed to block an 'unjust, undeserved' goal in the first place.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Some of the best sportsmen ever were motivated by sheer hatred and spite though.

Michael Jordan comes to mind.

I think Ghana must not let the emotion overcloud them. Especially against a very experienced side that knows how to manage these big occasions. These Ghana side are very young too.
Regarding the game, I think you capture it well.

On the broader issue, agree an individual can channel it effectively. I'm talking about how you see scores of interviews with angry Ghanaians talking about pain, anger, suffering and vengeance. Nothing good can come out of that when it's a more widespread issue, eg see above, it could not only make these young players lose their heads, but also create a backlash for those that end up having a poor game.

Suarez is absolutely right, that was 12 years ago and some of these kids were 8. They shouldn't be looking back in anger but make their own World Cup story.

FattyFooty

Im like really wondering if Ronaldo will play this one..

Its not often im so curius about a player in a lineup.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What’s the chances Suarez scores the winner?

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
In group G, I'll be happy whoever joins Portugal in the knockout stages. If it's Ghana another African team going through would be great, if it's South Korea them joining Japan and Australia in terms of AFC members in the knockout stages would be great, and if it's Uruguay a team from a country with a population of 3.5 million people (lower than the 9th largest metropolitan area in neighboring Brazil) reaching the knockout stages at a 4th consecutive World Cup would also be great.

I did ask a work colleague of mine who is Ghanaian, despises Suarez and has frequently brought up the handball over the years, how Ghana could possibly have been cheated in light of the Dominic Adiyiah dive and Stephen Appiah offside in the lead-up. Unsurprisingly he had no answer for that !

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Suarez is a cnut, but that handball isnt part of the reason if you ask me.

Lynty

As neutral, hope Ghana come out flying into tackles.

Would love them to win, but would prefer another day of drama.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Suarez is a racist cnut but I'd be surprised if anyone wouldn't have done what he did that day for his country.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Suarez is a racist cnut but I'd be surprised if anyone wouldn't have done what he did that day for his country.
Can't say I blame him at all, I've even cheated in games we're 9-0 up before, the game's the game.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Part of me will always blame him because he prevented an African team from making history or at least he contributed to it. The other part realizes that Ghana had a pen and he was sent off. I don't think I will ever have one proper opinion on the subject

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Agreed. Plus if he hadn’t done it, Uruguay would have been knocked out of the World Cup due to an ‘illegal’ goal stemming from a huge dive, scored by the diver himself, that should also have been disallowed for offside. That clearly would have been incredibly unfair.

As others have said, there are many reasons to despise Suarez, but that incident definitely isn’t one of them.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
It was totally fair to do it and deal with the consequences and punishment. Would be disappointed if a United player didn't do the same in comparable circumstances

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Lots of people like to claim they wouldn’t but in that position… well I probably wouldn’t because I wouldn’t think that fast, but I’d absolutely do it other than that
It's logical for him to do it, and many many other players would absolutely do the same (and probably should) - but it's still "cheating" in football terms - in the same way a dive would be.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ghana - Uruguay 0-0
South Korea - Portugal 2-0

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's logical for him to do it, and many many other players would absolutely do the same (and probably should) - but it's still "cheating" in football terms - in the same way a dive would be.
Every foul is technically cheating if you want to see it like that

RedDevilRoshi

Ghana vs Uruguay and Serbia vs Switzerland look like the games to watch today.