Day 14: Netherlands vs USA | Argentina vs Australia (Last 16 1&2)

GinobiliTheGOAT

We haven't really seen a team go at them, well Saudi Arabia tried and did some damage.

There's definetly some mistakes in that Romero-Otamendi partnership.

It's clear Lisandro should be playing but it's also clear the manager won't pick him and Argentina will find out the hard way.
a team going at them would be great For Argentina. They’ve been going up against parked buses Virtually every match.

If Argentina can get some space I think they can do a lot of damage. Don’t fancy them to win it all but still feel they are a bit underrated.

jesperjaap

While I'm a huge fan of both the Real Ronaldo and Maradona it is just baffling that anyone puts them ahead of Messi if we are talking about a defined absolute level of performance/skills. Messi is/was a better goalscorer, a better assistprovider, a better through ball provider, and a better dribbler than Ronaldo and Maradona was and he was it in an environment that is far more competitive.

One can argue that Ronaldo was plagued with injuries and could have been as good or better goalscorer than Messi and one can argue that Maradona during his best years was more superior relative to his peers in the eighties than Messi was in the 2010's. On the other hand Maradona at his peak would have struggled to take a place in the starting eleven in most 2022 top european teams which also is the reason for why it is almost impossible to compare players from different eras. Who knows what Maradona could have accomplished in todays football with todays proffessional training methods? But you just have to take one look at Youtube to see the difference in skill level /tempo between Messi and Maradona and I absolutely adore/adored Maradona.

CR7 is nowhere near Messi in any other department than goalscoring.
Maradona would have struggled to get a place in msot top 2022 sides, what an earth are you talking about?

It may be dificult to comapre different eras, for example the pitches we bobbly in Maradonas era.....but Messi at club level played in a far better side than either of the other two, both of which pretty much won world cups for there country the differnece they made to the sides they played in and absolutely destroyed some of the best defenders of all time.

Ask any Argrentinian who was the better player that saw both and I would be confident 90% of them would say Maradona, he was hands down a better dribbler than Messi. Messi is a fantastic player, but he really isnt Maradona and he isnt ROnaldo either, give ROnaldo the ball in a standing start by the corner flag with two plaeyrs on him, he would twist and turn through them with his back to goal......really dont know what Maradona videos you are watching on youtube, the ball is stuck to the guys foot....its all opnion but Maradona and ROnaldo walk into any side from any period, they are without a doubt the best 9 and 10 of my lifetime.

Its just opinion, Messi and Ronaldo are without doubt two of the best players I hav eever seen and its amazing they have done it year on year, contiuin gto score so many goals for such a logn time at the very top, but no, I disagree Maradona and ROnaldo of Brazil, for me ability wise were just on a different level to anybody else I have seen in there pomp for both club AND country

Pocho

Maradona would have struggled to get a place in msot top 2022 sides, what an earth are you talking about?

It may be dificult to comapre different eras, for example the pitches we bobbly in Maradonas era.....but Messi at club level played in a far better side than either of the other two, both of which pretty much won world cups for there country the differnece they made to the sides they played in and absolutely destroyed some of the best defenders of all time.

Ask any Argrentinian who was the better player that saw both and I would be confident 90% of them would say Maradona, he was hands down a better dribbler than Messi. Messi is a fantastic player, but he really isnt Maradona and he isnt ROnaldo either, give ROnaldo the ball in a standing start by the corner flag with two plaeyrs on him, he would twist and turn through them with his back to goal......really dont know what Maradona videos you are watching on youtube, the ball is stuck to the guys foot....its all opnion but Maradona and ROnaldo walk into any side from any period, they are without a doubt the best 9 and 10 of my lifetime.

Its just opinion, Messi and Ronaldo are without doubt two of the best players I hav eever seen and its amazing they have done it year on year, contiuin gto score so many goals for such a logn time at the very top, but no, I disagree Maradona and ROnaldo of Brazil, for me ability wise were just on a different level to anybody else I have seen in there pomp for both club AND country
Saw them both, and he is slightly better than Maradona and miles better than Ronaldo.

jesperjaap

Saw them both, and he is slightly better than Maradona and miles better than Ronaldo.
Hey its all opinions, Im the other way though. I think Messi and ROnaldo have possibly been the best all round careers 15years plus year in year out goals, trophies, personal accolades, level of performance....only really defenders have had similar careers performance wise for so long in there own positions, really is exceptional for attckign players.

For me though in terms of ability and peak performance levels I think there ar eseveral who have been on a similar level to both of them for 3/4years Ronaldhino, Rivaldo were sensational for Barcelona for a period, Del Piero, George Weah wre nat far off for a period, but in terms of pure talent and ability and individual performance for me Maradona and Ronaldo were better than anything I have seen in there peaks....miles better than Ronaldo, please Ronaldo at Barcelona fo rthat season and Inter Milan was simply unplayable in a league with the best defenders in the world and some of the best of all time, he destroyed all of them, Maradona won the league at a side never expecgted to, won a world cup and reached a final in sucessive tournaments that were probably not the best side in the tournament, certainly not in 1990, Ronaldo won the world cup and also reached another final and stood out in both tournaments until the illness before the final, its different opinions and different eras, but miles better come on, there isnt a player in the istory of football "miles" better than ROnaldo, thats just a naive comment

Pocho

Hey its all opinions, Im the other way though. I think Messi and ROnaldo have possibly been the best all round careers 15years plus year in year out goals, trophies, personal accolades, level of performance....only really defenders have had similar careers performance wise for so long in there own positions, really is exceptional for attckign players.

For me though in terms of ability and peak performance levels I think there ar eseveral who have been on a similar level to both of them for 3/4years Ronaldhino, Rivaldo were sensational for Barcelona for a period, Del Piero, George Weah wre nat far off for a period, but in terms of pure talent and ability and individual performance for me Maradona and Ronaldo were better than anything I have seen in there peaks....miles better than Ronaldo, please Ronaldo at Barcelona fo rthat season and Inter Milan was simply unplayable in a league with the best defenders in the world and some of the best of all time, he destroyed all of them, Maradona won the league at a side never expecgted to, won a world cup and reached a final in sucessive tournaments that were probably not the best side in the tournament, certainly not in 1990, Ronaldo won the world cup and also reached another final and stood out in both tournaments until the illness before the final, its different opinions and different eras, but miles better come on, there isnt a player in the istory of football "miles" better than ROnaldo, thats just a naive comment
of course it’s a personal opinion. I meant miles better than Cristiano, Ronaldo was God but i believe Messi is more creative and has a better career despite not winning a WC. :)