Day 15: France vs Poland | England vs Senegal (Last 16 3&4)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Match 52
Sunday 04 December, 15.00 GMT @ Al Thumama Stadium
Round of 16

Match 51
Sunday 04 December, 19.00 GMT @ Al Bayt Stadium
Round of 16​

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Fun games to start the knockoff matches .

I'll doubt we'll see any upsets in this one but it should nice to watch regardless.

Irwin99

Not really seeing a potential upset here. For the sake of entertainment I hope Poland are a bit more adventurous than they were against Argentina and I hope Senegal press England rather than just sit back.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'd love Poland to have the game of their lives

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Easy France win, depends what Southgate tries for England. Should be easy enough IMO.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
France will most likely win as Poland showed absolutely nothing and shouldn't even be there. It would take a massive feck-up from England to lose against Senegal.

Out of all the african teams Cameroon and Senegal are the weakest by a distance and have both a dodgy defense.

Hulme91

Can't see any shocks from either game. England are a bit of a match up nightmare for Senegal (rapid fullbacks, physical midfield and superb defending from set pieces) and I think France will just blow Poland away barring a miracle

England/France should be tasty if it happens

croadyman

Who do people feel was more favourable out of Ecuador/Senegal just out of interest

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Senegal need to do a Colombia 2018 and take us to ET/Pens in a war of attrition to beat us you would think.

Hopeful of a 2-0 win with Kane getting on the score sheet.

Kaos

Who do people feel was more favourable out of Ecuador/Senegal just out of interest
From an English perspective? Ecuador would have probably been the more favourable draw. England should be beating Senegal though, if Mane were fit it might have been a different story.

Irwin99

Senegal need to do a Colombia 2018 and take us to ET/Pens in a war of attrition to beat us you would think.

Hopeful of a 2-0 win with Kane getting on the score sheet.
I've been surprised at the times this strategy has failed in this tournament, although there are probably examples to the contrary i'm forgetting. Wales and Poland were obviously trying to keep it tight against England and Argentina and it failed miserably. Obviously they were outplayed by far superior teams but it just ends up looking like a very tame defeat.

It's dangerous but I wonder if pressing England like the USA did would be a better approach for Senegal. I still think it should be pretty comfortable for England though.

nakpodiareuben

England looks more daring and balanced. Fancy them to go through in a very tough tie. Poland are do boring to watch. Can't wait for them to be knocked out today. They can't stand mbappe.

croadyman

England looks more daring and balanced. Fancy them to go through in a very tough tie. Poland are do boring to watch. Can't wait for them to be knocked out today. They can't stand mbappe.
They are playing Sunday afternoon

NoPace

Feels like France will beat Poland, might take until the 2nd half but probably not.

England I think will beat Senegal but face a genuine scare. England made Iran and Wales look as lacking in athleticism as they are, but the U.S gave them a game with youth and running in midfield. Don't see why Senegal can't do the same. Might be a game won by whichever of Foden or Saka doesn't start, off the bench.

Will it be Mount, or Henderson in midfield? Senegal's midfield lacks creativity but can tackle, so not sure if the idea will be Henderson to free up Bellingham, or Mount to hopefully create enough movement to force Gueye wider so Kane can drop into the space he occupies and play in Rashford, the LW or even score from outside the box. Typing it out, it seems like you'd start Henderson or even give Phillips 45 to 60 minutes after getting 35 against Wales, to help with counter attacks and distribution and then on Mount, if Henderson was just keeping his seat warm. Everyone in the England team except Maddison has played with him, so Southgate might feel comfortable playing him. Could also just come on if England are up, get another 20-30 minutes under his belt then be given the call to start against France, that's probably Southgate's plan A for that game if Phillips is healthy.

Last edited:

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
According to l'equipe, it will be the same France team as it was versus Denmark in the 2nd game of group stage, as expected given the dire performance of most subs against Tunisia.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
According to l'equipe, it will be the same France team as it was versus Denmark in the 2nd game of group stage, as expected given the dire performance of most subs against Tunisia.
Not one of them gave Deschamps a headache that's for sure. I hope for an early goal because I don't expect Poland to play much. Apparently they are preparing for a penalty shootout :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not one of them gave Deschamps a headache that's for sure. I hope for an early goal because I don't expect Poland to play much. Apparently they are preparing for a penalty shootout :lol:
You won't be laughing when Lewandowski eliminates France.:nervous:

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Yea it's an easy decision for Deschamps, the first XI is obvious. I dont expect Poland to play much either but that's what scares me, they're going to sit back and hope for a Lewa miracle, and he's good enough to make it happen. And a pen shootout against Sczezny isnt something I look forward to.

El Zoido

Yea it's an easy decision for Deschamps, the first XI is obvious. I dont expect Poland to play much either but that's what scares me, they're going to sit back and hope for a Lewa miracle, and he's good enough to make it happen. And a pen shootout against Sczezny isnt something I look forward to.
They’re not good enough to sit back. They tried it against Argentina and were lucky to not get spanked for 6. And Lewa isn’t good enough to be the only attacking PL player in France’s half, again, tried against Argentina and it failed horribly. This’ll be 3 or 4-0 to France and will be dead as a contest before half time.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
They’re not good enough to sit back. They tried it against Argentina and were lucky to not get spanked for 6. And Lewa isn’t good enough to be the only attacking PL player in France’s half, again, tried against Argentina and it failed horribly. This’ll be 3 or 4-0 to France and will be dead as a contest before half time.
If there's anything to be learned from this World Cup then it's making bold predictions about how the big teams are going to demolish the opposition, so far most of those have been horribly wrong

croadyman

Will be doing a quiz so that can make the dead contest pass a little bit quicker

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It's been too long since we've had a competitive France-England game. Both teams with good squads too could give us a great QF. :drool:

NICanRed

I'm always surprised at all the different techniques that are used for the coin toss. I can't believe that anyone could influence the result and I suppose it doesn't really matter until we get to penalty shoot-outs.
Strange that there is no standardisation of this. Does anyone have any insights or statistics on this?

RoyH1

Poland’s keeper has been by far their best player this tournament. Tonight he’ll have to border on the divine to keep Poland in this game.
I cannot see a Mane-less Senegal taking out England either. A day for the favourites

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Poland's "football" is criminal. France will comfortably win that.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not very exciting these matches. France will demolish Poland and while I think Senegal have slightly better odds to give England a game I don't see them hurting England either.

PoTMS

It's been too long since we've had a competitive France-England game. Both teams with good squads too could give us a great QF. :drool:
I wouldn't count any chickens just yet. Every time we are due to play France in the next round, we get knocked out unexpectedly.

Croatia in 2018, Iceland in 2016, Portugal in 2006, West Germany/Spain in 1982.

Telsim

Poland will get battered by France, but I wouldn't discount the Senegalese as easily.

Grande

Poland need to approach the game very differently to how they did against Argentina. But remember that France needed luck to beat a Denmark who subsequently played their worst game in tournament history. Games live their own life.

Senegal can certainly beat England. They shocked an until then solid and intense Ecuador, and have some very good players in the team.

Scottynaldinho

France, Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, Spain, Germany, and Belgium all have had their upsets.

It's England's time. Let's go Senegal!