Day 2: England vs Iran | Senegal vs Netherlands | USA vs Wales

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not saying it's England's fault they are in a shit group, obviously the draw went that way but the teams I've seen so far have been a shocking quality and England manged to get 3 of those. I will say though I thought Senegal and Holland were awful today too but they aren't involved with England yet.

We'll see a genuine winner tomorrow starting off with Argentina & France in the evening I hope because it couldn't be much worse so far
Can understand why it would be awful for you having to watch England and Wales at the WC as an Irishman.

Suck it up. Focus on getting there in 4 years yourselves instead of the negativity about the teams who were good enough to make it now.

Ibi Dreams

If you look at the groups they've all got awful teams in them. That's what happens when you make the world cup 32 teams. Some groups are worse than others, but that's luck of the draw.

On paper it looks really obvious which teams will go through, but it usually doesn't pan out exactly how you'd think

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Yeah, just frustrated at the wastefulness. We played well but should have closed it out in the first half.
I think it was just a 50-50 game and a draw was about right. I don't think it's an awful result for either team. As bad as we were in the first half and as much time and space as you were given on the ball, you didn't really create much outside of the goal even then.

If anything, I think we probably shaded it in terms of real chances with the Moore and Davies headers, at least one of which should really have been scored.

Good game that, enjoyed it, especially the second half when it was in the balance. First half USA looked streets ahead. Wales did well to fight back in the second half. All to play for in that group now.

Ibi Dreams

It wasn't embarrassing for the US. That's about what I expected. Wales aren't bad, they got their tactics really wrong first half and then fixed them and got on top of the game.

I expected a Wales draw or win before the game tbh. They always show up in tournaments.

V.O.

What about vs. Sweden, Denmark, Germany?
You're bringing up a game scraped through in extra time with a penalty won from a shocking dive as evidence of not being jammy?

massi83

It's a money making thing in the USA. To play on a youth club team costs parents thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars a year for just club fees let alone travel costs. It's ridiculous.
That's weird. From what age onwards? Surely it can't be that much for u12

PoTMS

You're bringing up a game scraped through in extra time with a penalty won from a shocking dive as evidence of not being jammy?
The question was not about being jammy, it was about England crumbling under the slightest bit of pressure which is clearly not true.

Djemba-Djemba

There's definitely a recurring theme of people saying oh Englands next game will be very difficult, it won't be easy at all and then if England play well and win those same people say ah well the opposition were rubbish, your next game will be difficult, it won't be easy etc.

MarylandMUFan

Ibi Dreams

England have the hardest group as you say

They will have exceeded expectations if they can get out of it tbh. Especially after looking so poor today against Iran.
I don't think England's group is the hardest at all.

Group E has Spain and Germany, and in group H I think all the teams are fairly well balanced and anyone could win any game. Portugal look strongest on paper but they're often lacklustre in reality

V.O.

The question was not about being jammy, it was about crumbling under pressure.
Ah, fair enough. My mistake.

It's a money making thing in the USA. To play on a youth club team costs parents thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars a year for just club fees let alone travel costs. It's ridiculous.
That's interesting, but also very, very strange. Almost everywhere else in the world, football is the game of the poor. You can literally play it with a rock, as my group of friends used to in primary school during the break times when we weren't allowed a ball. That's before you consider the parade of legends who have lifted themselves out of abject poverty through football, especially in South America and Africa.

Baffling to me how it's apparently some kind of middle class sport in America. I figured there'd at least be a strong culture of poorer latino kids taking up the game, but I guess they're more likely to opt for baseball?

Pintu

Would you say it is EASY group for England?
To be fair, yes, relatively easy for them. The US has a good team, but they lack too much in experience. England will probably secure the first place on Friday night. Still open for the second place (I think one of the 2, more likely to be Wales, will fail to beat Iran and lose it there...)

Rauður Djöfull

Jack Grealish dancing after scoring goal number six is not showboating and disrespectful over for other team?
Just asking cause all pundits got crazy when Antony did a spin at no one once

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Van Gaal should have selected Danjuma & Brobbey instead of fecking Janssen.

TheReligion

Abusive
Jack Grealish dancing after scoring goal number six is not showboating and disrespectful over for other team?
He did it because a young city fan he’s in contact with asked him to celebrate his next goal like that…

Epic fail here!

massi83

To be fair, yes, relatively easy for them. The US has a good team, but they lack too much in experience. England will probably secure the first place on Friday night. Still open for the second place (I think one of the 2, more likely to be Wales, will fail to beat Iran and lose it there...)
England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks
Was the reference, but seems like I am the one with terrible memory. They just struggled in the first 2 matches but still qualified

Ibi Dreams

He was doing a celebration that he promised to do for a young fan

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't think England's group is the hardest at all.

Group E has Spain and Germany, and in group H I think all the teams are fairly well balanced and anyone could win any game. Portugal look strongest on paper but they're often lacklustre in reality
Portugal group is certainly most balanced in tournament. But again are South Korea really much better than US, could they really beat England if Son was kept quiet? Ghana have some good players in their squad but could struggle to gel together.

It's much easier to compare knock out routs, England certainly have ended up in the kinder side of draws recently at tournaments when you think France reached the world cup final beating Argentina-Uruguay-Belgium in knocks outs and Italy had to get past Belgium and Spain just to make the euros final.

Would love England to potentially have Holland-France back to back as then you'd have a real measure of their quality but unlikely to happen now.

PoTMS

He celebrated like that due to a promise he made to a fan with cerebral palsy.

Oranges038

For club soccer, it starts at 9 years old for travel soccer:

"The average cost of playing youth soccer is $1,472 per child, but elite clubs may range upwards of $10,000 per year.

Worse yet, those fees do not often cover travel expenses, additional tournaments, or uniforms."

https://soccerblade.com/youth-soccer-clubs-money/
And there was me complaining about my team having €70-100 registration fee and me having to shell out 20 quid a game for the referees.