Day 2: Portugal v Spain, Morocco v Iran and Egypt v Uruguay

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Come on guys, why so pessimistic. I'm sure this will be the world cup break through for Ronaldo where he finally bests his 1 goal record and Spain might be the game where it starts.

HorrorFan07

Patricio
Cedric-Pepe-Fonte-Guerreiro
William
Moutinho-J.Mario
Bernardo Silva
Guedes-Ronaldo​

Something like this.

A win would be incredible and would see us pretty much qualify, a draw would be fantastic and even a 1 goal loss wouldn't be that terrible.If we lose by a few goals then I don't see us making it out of the groupstages as we'd probably need 6 points out of the other 2 games. What's the best possible result in Morocco-Iran from a portuguese perspective? 0-0 draw?
Talk about covering all bases.. so either result is good for Portugal.. the European Champions? nothing is deemed a failure!?

Sorry but the "plucky little underdogs" tag Portugal love won't wash this tournament because the expectations of European Champions to deliver big-time

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
¡Vamos España!
Sad, tomorrow you will eat those words.

Talk about covering all bases.. so either result is good for Portugal.. the European Champions? nothing is deemed a failure!?

Sorry but the "plucky little underdogs" tag Portugal love won't wash this tournament because the expectations of European Champions to deliver big-time
Don't worry, we will deliver. This team is better then the 2016 one

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I will be at work during Uruguay v Egypt and will have to participate in a team building event during Iran v Morocco. There’s actually a company party in the evening but no way in hell I go there, will probably try to catch the first game while at work too.

I preferred it when I was at university FFS.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
Either being ironic or going for the jinx.
Well, theres a small percentage of sporting fans that want the National team to lose because of some players just scrapped their contract with Sporting. They got tired of having to deal with a mad man.

When i say small percentange thats what i hope because i saw lots of posts like this trough forums and social networks. I still hope that some just said that in a momnet of weakness and didn't really felt what they said/wrote

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Well, theres a small percentage of sporting fans that want the National team to lose because of some players just scrapped their contract with Sporting. They got tired of having to deal with a mad man.

When i say small percentange thats what i hope because i saw lots of posts like this trough forums and social networks. I still hope that some just said that in a momnet of weakness and didn't really felt what they said/wrote
That’s an odd way to protest. I’m sure it’s just a small section of fans.

Canagel

When I think of Portugal vs Spain I always remember this moment and Ronaldo going mad. :lol: it's probably one of the worst decisions I've seen even though it was only a friendly. First Pique was playing Nani onside. Secondly the ball had already crossed the line anyways.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
I guess, but the portugueses are very freak!, who knows :D.
I do not believe much in jinxes so this is the summary of tomorrow's match
Well, i just hope it will be a great game and that the best team wins and that the best team is portugal
and that CR7 does an hat trick

To be fair, what do you think that Ramos/Pique are thinking at the moment knowing what they will face tomorrow?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Well, i just hope it will be a great game and that the best team wins and that the best team is portugal

To be fair, what do you think that Ramos/Pique are thinking at the moment knowing what they will face tomorrow?
You mean about facing Cristiano? Actually I think that they know each other too much. I think if Portugal surprises Spain it will be thanks to another player.
I still have doubts about the team. Now it comes to my head something more direct, with Asensio or Lucas sacrificing someone in midfield, or even playing with Costa/Aspas.
Anything can happen but I would also bet on a very close game, with a lot of mutual respect. I hope Spain will use well the high pressure and that the physical will be better than in the last friendlies.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
You mean about facing Cristiano? Actually I think that they know each other too much. I think if Portugal surprises Spain it will be thanks to another player.
I still have doubts about the team. Now it comes to my head something more direct, with Asensio or Lucas sacrificing someone in midfield, or even playing with Costa/Aspas.
Anything can happen but I would also bet on a very close game, with a lot of mutual respect. I hope Spain will use well the high pressure and that the physical will be better than in the last friendlies.
Has you know, Pique must be the defender the best knows Cristiano and he always suffers against him so...

So, you want to push the portuguese team against the ropes? Thanks, that's were we like to be. ;)

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids

My guess is that at the moment they're either busy making sweet, sweet love to their not-at-all unattractive wives, or watching match film of all the other times they've defeated Portugal.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Anything that isn’t a big margin loss is acceptable and it gives us a good chance at progressing. If you offered me a 1 goal loss right now I’d take it.

We’ve got past the group stages of the World Cup three times in all of our history, that’s our goal and anything beyond that would be a bonus.

DRM

Meh. Will skip the 1st two. Looking forward to Spain Italy

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Peyroteo My prediction for Portugal will be between 3 to 5 points, knowing the way we play can't see us winning more than 1 match.

Didn't changed my opinion regarding the support of this team but now I am going to be a neutral, so no more support for Spain, let the best team win. ;)

@do.ob We all know his performances on the WC haven't been good, but measuring a player just by the number of goals scored in the WC would make Klose, Podolski, Muller better than him, I suspect you aren't part of the statistical brigade on this forum, are you? :)

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don't know why 0:0 results have to be boring while games full of defensive mistakes associated with lots of goals are automatically labeled cracking and exciting games, but suspect Spain will score 1 or more.

Remembers when everyone was saying the 3:3 draw between Portugal vs Hungary in 2016 was a cracking match, while in fact it was a crap match full of awfull mistakes and bad decisions.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Curious to see Spain after they sacked Lopetequi. Let's se if they react well.

Read that Salah will play! Massive boost to Egypt!

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I don't know why 0:0 results have to be boring while games full of defensive mistakes associated with lots of goals are automatically labeled cracking and exciting games, but suspect Spain will score 1 or more.

Remembers when everyone was saying the 3:3 draw between Portugal vs Hungary in 2016 was a cracking match, while in fact it was a crap match full of awfull mistakes and bad decisions.
There's a difference between a good match in terms of quality and a good match in terms of entertainment.

Spain-Portugal will have plenty of great players but in theory it should be fairly boring, Spain will have 70 to 80% possession and will just spend most of the match passing it sideways trying to break us down. Loads of quality and characters on the pitch so it won't be boring either way but people really shouldn't be expecting a very entertaining game.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
There's a difference between a good match in terms of quality and a good match in terms of entertainment.
I can understand what you say but I belong to a small sect of fans who doesn't particularly feel excited with teams who the neutrals like to praise because they are very exciting to watch while in fact they are total crap and don't know what they are doing on the pitch, while teams who are regarded as boring actually can be teams who know how to adapt to their strengths or weaknesses.

But that is just me, I always like to be on the other side against the majority. :lol:

Probably, as their squad is massive. What's your feeling though? Confident?
If Spain performs at the level they reached against Italy on the qualifiers or the friendlies they had vs Germany or Argentina we don't have a chance.

Midfield

Red
Apart from his days with Madrid castilla, our former youngster G. Varela seems didn't have much games to play, either with us or Frankfurt. But apparently, the lad is included with Uruguay world cup team.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'm so happy, can't fecking wait.

Eila

Spain 1-1 Portugal
Morocco 1-0 Iran
Uruguay 3-1 Egypt