Day 2: Wales vs Switzerland | Denmark vs Finland | Belgium vs Russia

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would've thought the players would've wanted to visit Eriksen in hospital and get piece of mind from seeing him o.k and then playing tomorrow. Surprised if they really pushed to play tonight but fair enough if that's their mindset.

Not acceptable at all if Uefa have basically ordered them to play tonight.

Nick7

I actually take my last post back. Even if the players wanted it, I don´t think this should be decided by the players at all. I have a hard time believing they are in the right state of mind to even make this call.
Agreed. I also don’t doubt UEFA had a big hand in the game restarting. Conspiracy or not, UEFA have previous.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Is it though? Can you really escape that moment? Everybody's different I guess.
Yeah, it's one of those things where the focus and concentration required lets you zone out of reality for a bit. As professional players they'll probably be even better at getting into that kind of zone than most.

Deery

Dreary
Why is it shocking. If all the parties involved are happy to continue then fair play to them.
After seeing someone nearly die on the pitch they won’t be in the right head space even if they think they are, and should even be cancelled out of respect to Eriksen.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Fair play to them. Heroic for sure, but definitely one where they can't be in the right frame of mind for (either team, but Denmark especially).
That's one way of looking at things. I'm sure they are all incredibly relieved right now and just want to get back to a bit of normality and to win the game in his honour.

Cpt Negative

The decision shouldn't have been left to them in their current state of mind.
Who are we to judge their state of mind? If you thought your captain had just had a serious health concern, possibly fatal. Then you find out he’s alive and communicating, id personally be over the moon.

The BBC are apparently getting slaughtered on social media for how they've handled the whole thing. They can't control the images, but they can control what they show and they've been absolutely appalling with what they decided to show, which was literally everything.
Rightly so. They needed to cut that feed immediately. How anyone allowed that to go on for so long to shocking.

entertainment apparently.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They are resuming? I have no words. Unless this was the absolute wish by the players, this is the most disgraceful decision of the UEFA I have ever seen and that is saying something.
The players were OK with continuing the game after being informed of Eriksen's situation in the hospital.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Is it though? Can you really escape that moment? Everybody's different I guess.
If he told his teammates he wants them to play(assumption) then they will respect his wishes. If i were his teammate i'd do what i think he'd want them to do and as an elite competitive footballer it wouldn't be surprising he wants his team to play and win regardless of his own condition.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
it’s like a player who has concussion and wants to play on…

do they all want to play - no chance.

I imagine the pressure from UEFA officials was immense.
That is my worry here: peer pressure. Even if you don´t feel like playing here, do you want to be the person that might cause a problem for your teammates? I´m really reminded of the time the Dortmund bus was bombed and the team was split on the decision to play on the next day. At the end all played eventhough the club did gave them the choice not to, but you could see the trauma and shock in the eyes of many in that game.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
After seeing someone nearly die on the pitch they won’t be in the right head space even if they think they are, and should even be cancelled out of respect to Eriksen.
Let's not put words into people's mouths. As far as we know the players are willing to play.

PoTMS

I think everyone will want them to do well now. I'm going to full-on support them, feck England :lol:
The way the draw is lining up, wouldn't surprise me if they... I mean we... get quite far in the competition. :D

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Who are we to judge their state of mind? If you thought your captain had just had a serious health concern, possibly fatal. Then you find out he’s alive and communicating, id personally be over the moon.
Eriksen is not the captain, its Kjær. Although he is undoubtedly the best outfield player.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I’m sure Eriksen himself would want the game to be finished. If the players are ok with it then I don’t see any problem with the decision now that he’s in stable condition

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
it’s like a player who has concussion and wants to play on…

do they all want to play - no chance.

I imagine the pressure from UEFA officials was immense.
I share the same thoughts. I imagine there will be a few Danish players that don't really want to play right now, probably some Finnish players too.

I'm genuinely shocked it's been given the go-ahead. I would have thought the best and easiest thing to do would have been to give the teams a point each and call it. Perhaps Cal is a UEFA board member.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That is my worry here: peer pressure. Even if you don´t feel like playing here, do you want to be the person that might cause a problem for your teammates? I´m really reminded of the time the Dortmund bus was bombed and the team was split on the decision to play on the next day. At the end all played eventhough the club did gave them the choice not to, but you could see the trauma and shock in the eyes of many in that game.
Or the Munich air disaster when the team felt something wasn't right and Harry Gregg said if just one person spoke up no one would have got on the flight.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The Danish pundit now saying that the players got news from the hospital that Eriksen is ok before they felt assured to want to play again.

Hester_manc

The players have spoken with Christian Eriksen on the phone from the hosipital. He is awake and feeling well.

el3mel

If it's 100% the players' decision to play the game then Ok, we have nothing to say.

However no one can honestly convince me that UEFA didn't try to convince them that it's better to play this match tonight.

DickDastardly

The players are not in the right mind right now to decide what they want for dinner let alone if they want to play.

Disgraceful by UEFA.

You shouldn't even fecking ask the players!!!

All for a meaningful 45 minutes of fecking football.

The fecking show must go on. Feck this

exactly - none of the young lads on either team would put their hand up and say they don’t feel they can play.

this will affect people is very different ways, and I find it incomprehensible that 50 odd players are all wanting to play this game.