Day 2: Wales vs Switzerland | Denmark vs Finland | Belgium vs Russia

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
My god. Wales are such an awful team to watch. Worse than watching United under Van Gaal and Mourinho. When you consider Dan James was your best player on the pitch...
The Swiss should've won comfortably.
I think they're capable of playing better, too. That's the weird thing with them. They got some decent players there.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Wales have too many players not fit. They can't go with that lineup next game.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I was thinking Ramsey is only playing on past reputation. He was poor today.
Ability wise, he still gets in our first XI. But on form and fitness, it's a huge shout to pick him when there's a few younger, fitter players who could do a job.

I think Page should rotate the midfield v Turkey, possibly consider Neco Williams too. Front players I'd leave even Bale.. poor game but draws defenders and you know there's always the chance of a wonder ball/freekick and without him, we play worse

Godfather

We're not boring by choice. We're boring because we're shit. It's pretty much Bale, Ramsey's ghost and nine championship level cloggers. :lol:

I'd be surprised if you're going to be blown away any more by other sides in the same boat, which is basically Finland, Scotland, and North Macedonia. And those teams don't have to play their games halfway to fecking China in 35 degree heat, either.
You can't fecking compare yourself to Finland ffs. You have one of the best paid players in history playing for you team.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Wales have too many players not fit. They can't go with that lineup next game.
Don't have any choice. Our options in most positions are players that don't get games for their clubs, championship players, or both.

Godfather

he’s miles away from being anywhere near the required level
He looks lively whenever I've watched him. Good technically and strong. Hit and miss in front of goal I agree but still very young. We have no one to replace Cavani if Martial leaves.

V.O.

You can't fecking compare yourself to Finland ffs. You have one of the best paid players in history playing for you team.
Yeah, and that's all we have. Give Jari Litmanen a pair of boots and it's even.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Better than Finland but don’t think people realise the extent of how much this team has regressed since 2016.

In that tournament the whole team were top flight footballers, and Bale, Allen, Ramsey, Williams were all their peak(Allen even making TOTT).

The problem now is that the aforementioned players are past their peak and struggle with injuries, while virtually everyone else play in the championship.

To make waves in these tournaments you need players who play at the highest level, when the majority of your squad play at a championship level It becomes much harder to impose yourself on games and keep possession of the ball.

UncleBob

He looks lively whenever I've watched him. Good technically and strong. Hit and miss in front of goal I agree but still very young. We have no one to replace Cavani if Martial leaves.
He's a worse version of Traore

Godfather

Better than Finland but don’t think people realise the extent of how much this team has regressed since 2016.

In that tournament the whole team were top flight footballers, and Bale, Allen, Ramsey, Williams were all their peak(Allen even making TOTT).

The problem now is that the aforementioned players are past their peak and struggle with injuries, while virtually everyone else play in the championship.

To make waves in these tournaments you need players who play at the highest level, when the majority of your squad play at a championship level It becomes much harder to impose yourself on games and keep possession of the ball.
Can't argue with any of that. The comparison was bit over the top and tongue in cheek is my guess. Decent result today for Wales.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
As an Irishman it's very odd seeing a bloke called Thomas Delaney lining up against Daniel O' Shaughnessy in Denmark vs Finland.
Aye I bet it must be. Delaney does have Irish roots to be fair.

Swiss_Red89

We bottled it (once again). We were the better team by miles and completely stopped the high press and possesion football after the 1:0 and let Wales come back in the game. It resulted in the deserved equaliser...

Now we have to win one of the two (away) games against Italy or Turkey. As a United fan, my nerves can't take this shit anymore. :lol:

Godfather

We bottled it (once again). We were the better team by miles and completely stopped the high press and possesion football after the 1:0 and let Wales come back in the game. It resulted in the deserved equaliser...

Now we have to win one of the two (away) games against Italy or Turkey. As a United fan, my nerves can't take this shit anymore. :lol:
Thought you guys played some good football though. It's a tough fecking group

Pavl3n

We're not boring by choice. We're boring because we're shit. It's pretty much Bale, Ramsey's ghost and nine championship level cloggers. :lol:

I'd be surprised if you're going to be blown away any more by other sides in the same boat, which is basically Finland, Scotland, and North Macedonia. And those teams don't have to play their games halfway to fecking China in 35 degree heat, either.
Well ... I'm not expecting to be blown away by Finland or Scotland, nor Macedonia. But I was watching the opener last night and listening to Rio, how Wales must be licking their lips after watching Turkey huffing and puffing and running out of gas within the first hour. I was expecting they would put some fight and try to win this game. Apart from 20 minute spell in the second half and that header after James' cross, Wales were pretty unpleasant to watch.

Robertd0803

Jesus Switzerland vs Wales was a bit dire. Heat must have been awful to play in though.

djembatheking

The Swiss were the better team by miles , Wales were awful so you have to say that was a good result for them . Switzerland could well regret not putting them to the sword there.

V.O.

Well ... I'm not expecting to be blown away by Finland or Scotland, nor Macedonia. But I was watching the opener last night and listening to Rio, how Wales must be licking their lips after watching Turkey huffing and puffing and running out of gas within the first hour. I was expecting they would put some fight and try to win this game. Apart from 20 minute spell in the second half and that header after James' cross, Wales were pretty unpleasant to watch.
Our best chance might end up being hoping that Italy are already through by the third game, play the reserves and don't give a feck. :lol:

Jesus Switzerland vs Wales was a bit dire. Heat must have been awful to play in though.
Yeah, neither team are Brazil '70, but having them play in fecking Baku is just a load of shite.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Can't argue with any of that. The comparison was bit over the top and tongue in cheek is my guess. Decent result today for Wales.
Don’t get me wrong you are right about the standard of football. The squad has regressed but the football could and should be better. I like Page and think he’s talented, especially on the defensive side (ignore the set piece defending today haha) but I’m a big believer that football should be entertaining. Gary Speed implemented a simple pass and move football that I really enjoyed, after Coleman took over he was far more pragmatic, but it didn’t matter as much as Bale and Ramsey were still playing to a high level, and Allen was excellent in that dictating the tempo role.

I definitely sympathise with anyone who has to watch us haha. Even more so if Savage is on commentary.

I think that’s a fair summary. You were definitely the much better side, and I think allowing Wales a little more of the ball definitely gave Wales that punchers chance of an equaliser. I thought that aside though the gap between the two teams in how they used the ball was massive, we didn’t look confident at all playing it out, and I thought Embolo played with our midfield and defence like they were children.

Robertd0803

Our best chance might end up being hoping that Italy are already through by the third game, play the reserves and don't give a feck. :lol:

Yeah, neither team are Brazil '70, but having them play in fecking Baku is just a load of shite.
It worked for Ireland in 2016 :lol:

And yeah Baku is a shocking choice for a location.

Scriblerus

Couple of odd substitutions both of which can be rationalised but neither of which appeared to do their team much good. Shaqiri off to change the shape and protect 1-0, but he had been pretty much running the game; I'd have bet on a second for the Swiss if he'd stayed on. And then…we need fresh legs up front; can't take off Moore, the guy who can head, in case we get another set piece; can't take off Bale because it's Bale and even though he's not done much there's always the chance of a moment of magic; so we'll pull the one guy who has pace, is harrying defenders into mistakes, is running at two defenders who are both on yellow cards and has put in some really decent crosses….

Apart from that, ref was about as inconsistent as in the Europa final, missing real fouls and inventing fake ones, and swapping corners for goal kicks.

And Robbie Savage. If he was next to you in the pub you could a least move away. You can tell he doesn't have many thoughts (all of them obvious, of course) because he repeats each one of them three or four times. Saying it louder doesn't make it any better, Robbie. Just stop.

V.O.

Because it's in the middle of fecking nowhere halfway to China, scorching hot, only a handful of fans from either side could get there (who are then shoved into a giant bowl with a running track so they're 3 miles from the pitch anyway), and the locals can't be arsed turning up to watch either.

So you get no atmosphere to speak of and players absolutely fecked by half time.