Day 2: Wales vs Switzerland | Denmark vs Finland | Belgium vs Russia

032Devil

Because it's in the middle of fecking nowhere halfway to China, scorching hot, only a handful of fans from either side could get there (who are then shoved into a giant bowl with a running track so they're 3 miles from the pitch anyway), and the locals can't be arsed turning up to watch either.

So you get no atmosphere to speak of and players absolutely fecked by half time.
Still in Europe though and a great stadium. Most summer competitions are in hot weather no matter where they're in Europe. Don't West Ham have a running track?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We bottled it (once again). We were the better team by miles and completely stopped the high press and possesion football after the 1:0 and let Wales come back in the game. It resulted in the deserved equaliser...

Now we have to win one of the two (away) games against Italy or Turkey. As a United fan, my nerves can't take this shit anymore. :lol:
Should really have won that game. You were far better than Wales.

RedDevilRoshi

That 1-1 draw for Wales will feel like a victory for them as they were 2nd best throughout. Switzerland missed so many chances to win this game.

Robertd0803

Presuming you mean the Baku comment?

Because its stupidly unfair on the teams that have to travel and play there considering its probably hotter than hell there today in comparison to somewhere a lot more travel friendly and player friendly like Rome at night for example.

Its one of the main issues which the multi host nations idea, its great in theory but tell me that England/Italy for example having games at "home" is as level a playing field as Wales/Switzerland travelling and playing in Baku.

(Im sure the Welsh fans who were sitting in stupid degree heat for over 2 hours will look back as fondly on the experience tomorrow when they are the same colour as the Welsh jersey).

And if you were asking about why it worked for Ireland in 2016, Italy were though after the second game and were guaranteed group winners, played the second choice team vs us and put zero effort in. Even then Ireland just about managed to win :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wales have too many players not fit. They can't go with that lineup next game.
Yep that's the crux. Squad really isn't that much weaker than what they had in 2016 and probably in a few areas stronger but the key players like Bale and Ramsey were just so much fitter and better in those times it was the key difference compared to now.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Still in Europe though and a great stadium. Most summer competitions are in hot weather no matter where they're in Europe. Don't West Ham have a running track?
Yeah, and it's shit and their fans hate it. The main problem is the location (and the lack of local interest). There were something like 500 fans from either side in a stadium that would have been permitted to hold 30,000+.

roseguy64

Funnily enough, they've got Albert Stuivenberg as assistant manager. LVGs assistant at United and Artetas now. Great football doesn't seem to follow him around...
Ah. I was wondering why he looked familiar to me.

032Devil

Its one of the main issues which the multi host nations idea, its great in theory but tell me that England/Italy for example having games at "home" is as level a playing field as Wales/Switzerland travelling and playing in Baku.
Fair point.

032Devil

Yeah, and it's shit and their fans hate it. The main problem is the location (and the lack of local interest). There were something like 500 fans from either side in a stadium that would have been permitted to hold 30,000+.
The Euro policy seems to help the big clubs/nations

Withnail

Because its stupidly unfair on the teams that have to travel and play there considering its probably hotter than hell there today in comparison to somewhere a lot more travel friendly and player friendly like Rome at night for example.

(Im sure the Welsh fans who were sitting in stupid degree heat for over 2 hours will look back as fondly on the experience tomorrow when they are the same colour as the Welsh jersey).

And if you were asking about why it worked for Ireland in 2016, Italy were though after the second game and were guaranteed group winners, played the second choice team vs us and put zero effort in. Even then Ireland just about managed to win :lol:
Great goal though

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is Denmark-Finland seen as a sort of derby or am I way out on my Scandinavian geography?

Didn't realise this was in Copenhagen so you'd expect a comfortable Danish win if they get an early goal as they're just a stronger team from back to front.

Robertd0803

And Robbie Savage. If he was next to you in the pub you could a least move away. You can tell he doesn't have many thoughts (all of them obvious, of course) because he repeats each one of them three or four times. Saying it louder doesn't make it any better, Robbie. Just stop.
Hes not as bad as he was today normally (which isnt saying much) but he wasnt going to remain balanced and be able to provide any half decent insight on a Welsh game. He literally sounded like a guy watching it down the pub :lol:

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Heard he was subbed but good to hear that mate
His substitution came very much to the surprise of everyone including James himself who was visibly angry about it which was very out of character for him. :lol:

Foxbatt

Kevin Kilbane slating Kasper. Saying he is not a world class top keeper. Is he a World class keeper?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Denmark are stacked in the CB department. Could be playing 3 at the back.
They're in great form. I'm hoping for a convincing win.
I've backed them for the tournament. I've got a sneaking suspicion most of the top players will wilt after a weird season and it'll be a nice compact team like Denmark sneaking through.

I've been bang wrong before now of course.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is Denmark-Finland seen as a sort of derby or am I way out on my Scandinavian geography?

Didn't realise this was in Copenhagen so you'd expect a comfortable Danish win if they get an early goal as they're just a stronger team from back to front.
Finland isn't in Scandinavia so yeah, you're way off.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Copenhagen looks like it's way over 50% capacity, great to see.

After that thread I've no idea what World Class means. He's an excellent keeper though.
stayed out of that. Did we have tiers, sub tiers, qualifying criteria…

Schmeichal is one of the best keepers around. Although his mistakes (every keeper makes them) won’t be highlighted as much as higher profile keepers.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I've backed them for the tournament. I've got a sneaking suspicion most of the top players will wilt after a weird season and it'll be a nice compact team like Denmark sneaking through.

I've been bang wrong before now of course.
Not a bad bet to be honest. I don't think you'll be proven right mind you :lol: but I'd be overjoyed if you were.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Denmark have better depth than England at CBs arguably, Kjaer and Christensen starting with Vestegaard and Joachim Andersen backups on the bench.

Midfield options pretty good and balanced aswell so they quarter finals feels realistic target.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Great write up, agree with everything.

I think in the next game Page is going to have to think about how he utilises Roberts. He plays for Swansea as almost a pseudo winger with excellent energy. The way in which he was used at the beginning doesn’t suit him at all.

Lyricist

Ok British commentators, Hradecky is the goalkeeper of Leverkusen and not Gladbach. Also Gladbach didn't finish in the top 6.
One game earlier the Austrian commentator said Embolo had scored 20 goals in 28 games last season.

Where on earth do these commentators get their information from, it is ridiculous. :lol: :lol:

Foxbatt

stayed out of that. Did we have tiers, sub tiers, qualifying criteria…

Schmeichal is one of the best keepers around. Although his mistakes (every keeper makes them) won’t be highlighted as much as higher profile keepers.
You are right. He has won the PL and the FA Cup for an unfancied side. He as every player makes mistakes. So did his dad.:)