Day 2: Wales vs Switzerland | Denmark vs Finland | Belgium vs Russia

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Was about to post this.

It's horrible from Uefa to give them 2 options: Either play when mentally you're not at it or play when you're most likely going to be sleep deprived.

It's actions like these that lead to people not having faith in UEFA or FIFA for that matter. I realize that you can't push the game indefinitely, but surely pushing it to roughly the same time next day and then maybe shifting Russia vs Finland game by a day is a doable thing. If I remember correctly, they did the same when BVB bus was attacked as well, and the players were clearly traumatized in that game as well

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Adding to that, the Danish team doctor said this:

We were called on the pitch when Christian collapsed. I did not get to see it, but it soon became clear that he had collapsed. When we got there, he was lying on his side and was breathing and he had a pulse.

Pretty quickly the picture changed, and then we started life-saving heart treatment.

There was fantastic quick help from the stadium doctor and the rest of the emergency services, and with that collaboration we got what we needed and we got Christian back.

He was talking to me before he was driven to the hospital.

Hester_manc

It was a very wrong decision that the players from Denmark continued to play.

They had their minds elsewhere and just had to get through the rest of the match. The captain, Kjær, was one of the first at Eriksen. The 2 are close friends and their families visit each other privately. They both live in milano. Kjær made sure that Eriksen did not swallow his tongue, he comforted his teammates and he took care of Eriksen's wife. When the game resumed, he still could not play it after his big role around Eriksen. He therefore allowed himself to be substituted.
Schmeichel was also very involved around Eriksen and would normally have saved Finland's finish on goal. The players were all confused and had the emotions outside of the clothes. They should have waited to play the match until tomorrow. UEFA gave them the choice to continue playing or play on Sunday at 12.

The most important thing is, that Eriksen is all right. But it was the wrong decision to play right after this experience.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Am I in the minority thinking this Belgium team doesn't look that special? Specifically at the back
I actually agree. I don't fancy them to beat any of the major sides as their defence isn't anything special. Plus they are too reliant on Lukaku for their goals, who quite often has a bad day in front of goal against top defences

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not sure what to make of Belgium there. Despite the scoreline I'm no that sold on them. Was a bit of a scrappy game in the second half and i didn't really find them that impressive. They'll get out of the group, of course, but the first decent team they come up against they're done i think.

Nick7

Adding to that, the Danish team doctor said this:
Yeah. The Danish manager followed up and said most of the Danish players were emotionally wrecked.

it’s insane that there is no contingency plan during these tournaments. I get that this issue is rare but there simply has to be contingency for things like this and not passing the buck onto the players.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Yeah. The Danish manager followed up and said most of the Danish players were emotionally wrecked.

it’s insane that there is no contingency plan during these tournaments. I get that this issue is rare but there simply has to be contingency for things like this and not passing the buck onto the players.
It doesn't help that some countries have to travel because of this stupid multi-country format. Makes it more complex to just postpone a game.

Nick7

It doesn't help that some countries have to travel because of this stupid multi-country format. Makes it more complex to just postpone a game.
I think the commentators said Finland are flying out to Russia tomorrow. Completely fecking stupid format. Hopefully it never happens again.

The Hilton

Offside isn't really about "advantage" though. Otherwise marginal offside calls wouldn't be a thing.
Well he's beyond the final defender when the ball is played, and at no point does an opposition player have the ball under control. I can't see how it wasn't given personally, it's similar to the City one against Villa earlier in the season that caused the rules to be changed the next day as this scenario being legal was ridiculous.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I agree with you. I was initially OK with the game resuming because the players had requested it. That's how it was reported, but to now hear that they were simply choosing between two options, play the game now or tomorrow afternoon, when you're giving traumatised players those options you're clearly demonstrating that the logistics/scheduling problem is more important than the players' welfare.

Nick7

I agree with you. I was initially OK with the game resuming because the players had requested it. That's how it was reported, but to now hear that they were simply choosing between two options, play the game now or tomorrow afternoon, when you're giving traumatised players those options you're clearly demonstrating that the logistics/scheduling problem is more important than the players' welfare.
I had a feeling this was the case when the official UEFA account tweeted out it was “the players decision”. They have previous when you think back to the Dortmund bus attack.

alexthelion

Ah missed that.
Hopefully if it was as untoward as you're alluding to, he's been binned off.
As bad as his posts were, some of the posters with their personal attacks went beyond what was necessary and should consider themselves lucky to not be banned themselves.

Ivor Ballokov

I used to work in retail and sadly we had someone die in our store once, similar thing with a sudden heart attack. During the terrible incident we had a screen to put around what was happening so that didn't become a spectacle, it was shocking that nothing similar was in place today, the fact that the BBC didn't at least go back to the studio was as confounding as it was horrific.

I can't even begin to show my respect to the players when they formed a human shield around their fallen teammate, it was incredibly powerful and something I'm glad I can focus on because of the positive outcome for Eriksen (all the best!), Kjaer in particular seems to have been incredible. Football and Footballers get a lot of bad press but these players deserve all the respect in the world

Stay strong Christian!

DickDastardly

Could the mods please make these "day" threads as sort of "match day" threads where newbies have unlimited posts?

5 or 10 posts a day runs off pretty quick, and it is actually a match day thread and gets interesting.

Just a thought. Thx!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As bad as his posts were, some of the posters with their personal attacks went beyond what was necessary and should consider themselves lucky to not be banned themselves.
When you say personal attacks, do you just mean being abusive with language?
Presumably they don't actually know him, so it couldn't be a literal personal attack?

I read a few posts back and didn't quite seem as bad as I was expecting.
Just a bit cretinous to be posting like he did with such an emergency going on.

Hester_manc

It is a scandal that UEFA let the Danish players decide whether they would continue to play or not. They had just been part of a great crisis. Simon Kjær and Schmeichel were very active in the situation around Eriksen. UEFA should have made the decision and postponed the match until the next day. It was irresponsible to leave that decision up to players who were in a crisis situation! When the match was resumed, the Danish players could not play - it was clear. Simon Kjær had to be substituted as he could no longer mentally. Pierre Emil Højbjerg could not concentrate on a penalty kick. And Schmeichel let a ball go in goal that he will save 10 out of 10 times normally. It is a scandal on the part of UEFA. Inhuman of them.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Could the mods please make these "day" threads as sort of "match day" threads where newbies have unlimited posts?

5 or 10 posts a day runs off pretty quick, and it is actually a match day thread and gets interesting.

Just a thought. Thx!
That would be a good idea

Hester_manc

Denmark's national coach regrets that he let the players play on yesterday. He has a bad conscience about the players going on the field again. UEFA only gave Denmark 2 options: 1) Play now. 2) Play tomorrow at 12. The players in the situation could not overlook having to show up at 12 the next day, and they then asked to have the match over. They were not mentally prepared and did not really want to play.

The national coach says at a press conference right now that the players should never have had the opportunity to play on. UEFA gave the players an ultimatum in a situation where they were in trauma and shock.

A true scandal from UEFA, as I see it.

Christian Eriksen feels well now. He feels like, he could go out and play football right now. The doctors can still not say, why this happened to him.

Last edited:

Hester_manc

Peter Schmeichel says, that Denmark felt they was forced to play the rest of the game. Uefa told the players, that they should play now or tomorrow or lose 0-3. They players did not want to play, but felt they did not have a real alternative.