Day 22: Brazil vs. Germany

Batrider

Least flashy German team in years looks the most successful, eh? Bookies have Germany winning this after Neymar's injury.

pk05

Apart from the croatia game ,i haven't seen much decisions going brazil's way.I don't know why there is so much of hatred against them,there were more blatant crucial refereeing errors that have benifited other teams than brazil and yday brazil lost two of their players due to idiotic refereeing.Still so much of negativity against them wow.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Apart from the croatia game ,i haven't seen much decisions going brazil's way.I don't know why there is so much of hatred against them,there were more blatant crucial refereeing errors that have benifited other teams than brazil and yday brazil lost two of their players due to idiotic refereeing.Still so much of negativity against them wow.
truth bombs

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Eh? How is it the referee's fault that Silva is a fecking idiot? I agree with the general point though, the refereeing is mostly just bad, don't think it's as heavily biased towards Brazil as some on here suggest.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Eh? How is it the referee's fault that Silva is a fecking idiot? I agree with the general point though, the refereeing is mostly just bad, don't think it's as heavily biased towards Brazil as some on here suggest.
I don't believe the conspiracy theory, but the ref, due to the crowd pressure or whatever else, inadvertently ended up giving the favorable decisions to the home team. There was a bias; the reason may have been his incompetence.

Dylan94

Germany just needs to try and play a really clean and disciplined game like they have done pretty much all tournament so the refs don't gent any "opportunities" to penalise them.

Fenomeno9

W/O Silva and Neymar more often then not I think we lose this but I remember the 07 Copa America team and on top of that we are at home as well. I think we can win albeit in very ugly fashion.

Batrider

Is there a gif of Muller's dive? Most pathetic dive I've seen all tournament.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Has the English footballing public ever been this united behind Germany before? :lol:

nofizzleforshizzle

Supports
Chelsea
Neymar is like the boy who cried wolf. Feigning injury 10 times in these games and referee would give a yellow card each time. But when he finally got a nasty challenge and broke his asshole no one believed him.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
No Neymar or Silva means there is basically not a single position on the pitch where Germany isn't stronger than Brazil.

They'll grind a win.
Marcelo is the far superior left-back to freaking Benedikt Höwedes and one could argue that Hulk is also the superior left winger than both Özil and Götze.

Blackwidow

You mean the one in which Debuchy got into his left foot with his right...

Was no dive but a penalty.

Müller does not dive. He is theatralic and emotional and he for sure knows the rules of the game and that being sneaky and clever gets you further - but real diving without contact is something you will not see. We know a lot scenes of him in which all of the others would have gone for a foul but he did not.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Marcelo is the far superior left-back to freaking Benedikt Höwedes and one could argue that Hulk is also the superior left winger than both Özil and Götze.
I keep thinking of Lahm as a fullback although Loew never does.

Hulk better than those two? Nah. Although Ozil does his best to make it so.

Gannicus

This is a remorselessly grim but highly efficient German side. I'm sticking with my original pick of Deutschland to lift the trophy.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
I keep thinking of Lahm as a fullback although Loew never does.

Hulk better than those two? Nah. Although Ozil does his best to make it so.
Lahm played RB against France and I expect him to stay on the position. No matter how you look at it though, Marcelo is a far better LB than Höwedes.

I agree that Özil and also Götze are in general better than Hulk, more talented, but not on the left wing and especially not during this WC. Hulk's incredible physicality has benefited him a great deal during the course of the tournament whereas both German delicate and technically brilliant players have been overpowered and rendered almost useless.

Also the midfield-triangle of Khedira, Schweinsteiger and Kroos is far away from their best form. Khedira just returning from a torn ACL, Schweinsteiger as usual playing through injury and Kroos is visibly tired after having played basically every game at club and NT level during the 2013/14 season.

The difference, especially if Brazil is going to play bunker ball with Fernandinho, Gustavo and Paulinho is not that huge in terms of quality.

The injury of Marco Reus hurts the German NT immensely. He's an André Schürrle with actual brains and playmaking ability, a Mario Götze / Mesut Özil with actual pace and goal-threat.

At least Germany won't have to face Thiago Silva and David Luíz during set-piece situations. Dante is not really as much of an aerial threat as Brazil's captain.

I expect a very, very difficult game for Germany.

Watz

I'm the only one who is now actually less confident in a German win? Don't get me wrong Neymar and Silva are big losses but Silva will be replaced by a fresh Dante who is not that much worse while Neymar will be replaced by a fresh player who hasn't the talent but adds physicality and fight. From a psychological standpoint they will now also be under less pressure to win which is a big positive.

So instead of facing a team that would've been the favourites, didn't play that well so far and was under huge pressure to perform we now face a team that will be underdogs, have the whole country rallying around them and with galvanized players that will run their socks off. This is still a 50/50 game for me.

Lothar

Germany could only muster a free-kick goal against France, nothing from open play. They also didn't score in regulation against Algeria.

But yes Mexico did hold Brazil.

Without Neymar of course it's a different story now.
The Germans completely shut shop after that early goal. Still they created two major chances which together would have resulted in at least one goal most of the time.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I'm the only one who is now actually less confident in a German win? Don't get me wrong Neymar and Silva are big losses but Silva will be replaced by a fresh Dante who is not that much worse while Neymar will be replaced by a fresh player who hasn't the talent but adds physicality and fight. From a psychological standpoint they will now also be under less pressure to win which is a big positive.

So instead of facing a team that would've been the favourites, didn't play that well so far and was under huge pressure to perform we now face a team that will be underdogs, have the whole country rallying around them and with galvanized players that will run their socks off. This is still a 50/50 game for me.
I think the silver lining is that Scolari is forced to make changes rather than persisting with the same old shit tactics.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Müller defenitely dives sometimes and exaggerates almost every time. I don't like that, still a very big Müller fan. He's awesome. Despite that behaviour.
Exaggeration only works if the referees fall for it. And they have to fall for it, because otherwise you'd have Neymar incidents all over Europe. I am convinced the game won't change this aspect, only reinforce it over time until we find smarter rules.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
I just hope Klose breaks Ronaldo's record, and Muller bags a few more goals, but I'm firmly with Brazil for this one.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
There's talk of willian coming in now. Who else have Brazil got? I know nothing of their subs or any up an coming talent that could spring a surprise

redevil2

I hope Germany win but I've got a funny feeling Brazil will manage to scrape through again. Germany have been decent without being incredible so far.
And they will become incredible at the right time. Mark my words :)

redevil2

I just hope Klose breaks Ronaldo's record, and Muller bags a few more goals, but I'm firmly with Brazil for this one.
That scenario would be quite extraordinary. If you hope Klose and Muller to score (a few more goals even), then how would Brazil be in it unless they score more, and without Neymar?! Germany won't let that happen certainly!:)

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
There's talk of willian coming in now. Who else have Brazil got? I know nothing of their subs or any up an coming talent that could spring a surprise
Willian is a very good player. His pace and dribbling will be hard to deal with for any defender. Despite Howedes being a good defender, it's obvious he's limited at leftback, I don't know why Loew continues to play him there especially with his lack of pace. Other than Algeria's pace the german defense trouble, they are fortunate Howedes hasn't been exposed yet, Willian might be the first to do so. This could've also been Lucas' chance to shine but Scolari gambled on Bernard instead.

That scenario would be quite extraordinary. If you hope Klose and Muller to score (a few more goals even), then how would Brazil be in it unless they score more, and without Neymar?! Germany won't let that happen certainly!:)
I'd love to see an entertaining, high-scoring, open match. It's the very least we deserve after the dismal quarter finals from all the teams involved.

heub

Gundogan in form before his injury would be a starter too.
reus, gundogan and badstuber would be starters, and lars bender would have played some minutes without any doubts.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
reus, gundogan and badstuber would be starters, and lars bender would have played some minutes without any doubts.
+ Reus could have been the star of the tournament. Without him we are lacking something special going forward. Kinda the same with Neymar and Brazil now.

heub

i am still expecting the "official fifa wankfest brazil argentina final". that final was written all over that tournament since that fred dive in the opening game.
dante is a superb replacement for silva. and neymar will be replaced by referinho.

jesperjaap

i am still expecting the "official fifa wankfest brazil argentina final". that final was written all over that tournament since that fred dive in the opening game.
dante is a superb replacement for silva. and neymar will be replaced by referinho.
Dante is no bad replacement. But can he replace the leadership and more importantly the covering for the rest of the defences failings. As what has made Silva so good in this world cup for me is his covering of the numerous errors the others have done. They have all looked pretty good rather than an accident aiting to happen as he has coverd them all so well like Neur has for Germany in a different way. I think Scholari replacing Alves was a shock but a vert good move and Luis has looked better the last coupel of games, but we knopw what he can do from his Chelsea games sloppyness wise.
I think Scholari needs to have the same balls he had dropping Alves in attack to replace Neymar. I tipped Brazil from early on due to the home advantage....but this match with there losses kind of has typical Germany party poopers all over it. I think we may have a Germany v Holland final which has even more animosity than the projected Brazil v Argentina won. Germany are now my tip for the tournament