Day 22: Brazil vs. Germany

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Since the Serbia match in World Cup 2010 Germany has only lost 2 competitive matches and only drew in 2. Losses against Spain and Italy. Draws against Sweden and Ghana.
Brazil has lost none and drawn 5 competitive matches since the last World Cup I believe. Venezuela, Paraguay twice, Mexico, and Chile.

Starryknight

Scolari's selection of strikers for this WC has been abysmal. The Diego Costa issue aside, don't Brazil have any good strikers anymore ?
Nope

If all had gone to plan, Pato should've really been the star striker by now, with Damiao being the alternative from the bench and Adriano being the experienced back up. But they've all fallen off for various reasons.

I'm surprised Hulk hasn't been tried upfront, would provide more of a presence then Fred, atleast.

ea385

Could there be a more prestigious classic in world football, especially at this tournament?

clearly, no. Sad that this is not the final.
:lol: Yes, Brazil vs Argentina. And it isn't even close.

Another thing... if the semi's do end up as Holland vs. Argentina as well as this Brazil vs. Germany game... well it doesn't get much more prestigious than that at a World Cup (without wanting to piss of any Italians...)
Holland, with their zero World Cups, don't add any prestige.

FromTheBench

Ze Germans will have to be comfortably better than Brazil.

Home advantage is quite clearly a big factor.

Blackwidow

The last time Germany did not score in a competitive match was in 2010 against Spain.

alsabi

The last time Germany did not score in a competitive match was in 2010 against Spain.
So... their last World Cup semi-final, then. I think they've got a good chance, but they'll need a better performance than today's.

PSingh

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think Germany will beat them. If Neymar is missing for the game Brazil will struggle to create chances. It should be an interesting game because I think neither team has been playing at their best.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Okay maybe i have chosen the wrong words. Of course Brazil vs Argentina is more of a classic. But imO Germany vs Brazil is the most prestigious match-up this WC could offer.

Germany, the most consistent team in the past 12 years (2x final, 4x semifinal out of 7 tournaments) and the favorite for most people and bookies before the tournament even started vs Brazil, the record world champion which is playing in their own country.

On the other hand, what has Argentina to offer besides Messi? When was the last time they played a (semi-)final? Versus which team did they lose the past 2 times? =)

OutlawGER

Supports
Brazil has lost none and drawn 5 competitive matches since the last World Cup I believe. Venezuela, Paraguay twice, Mexico, and Chile.
How comes that they did not win the coppa 2011 then? (i didn't follow it, i just know that Uruguay won it)

Jacob

Would bet my house, if I had one, on Germany to win.

Lothar

In South America, not in the World Cup. Brazil and Germany are the ultimate classic in terms of prestige. Compared to those two teams, Argentina is a minnow in WC history.

Incredibly, with 14 finals between them in 20 tournaments, they've only met once before.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Neymar ruled out of the World Cup with broken ribs. Zuniga didn't even receive a booking.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No Neymar or Thiago Silva. I suppose Fred and Dante will have to take care of things.

OutlawGER

Supports
Sad for Neymar, but now it's fair.

Reus, Neymar.

motorhead

In South America, not in the World Cup. Brazil and Germany are the ultimate classic in terms of prestige. Compared to those two teams, Argentina is a minnow in WC history.

Incredibly, with 14 finals between them in 20 tournaments, they've only met once before.
Italy has been in 6 finals and Argentina 4.Calling Argentina minnows because of 3 more finals is a bit much.

Dutch-Moroccan

Holland, with their zero World Cups, don't add any prestige.
The fact that Uruguay and England won the WC doesn't mean they add more prestige than the Nederlands.
I think Holland is one of the biggest fooballcountries in the world

FromTheBench

Dante is not the same level but he is not a bad replacement for Silva.

Who comes in for Neymar though ? Bernard ?

Brazil will have Luis Gustavo back, i guess.

Lothar

Italy has been in 6 finals and Argentina 4.Calling Argentina minnows because of 3 more finals is a bit much.
Meh, a few of those happened back when Uruguay walked cups. Italy for sure deserves a mention (and their matches with Germany are usually very entertaining), but Argentina was basically nothing before 1978 and have been nothing since 1990, their WC record matched by England.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Been trying to figure out why Brazil are not as effective at the WC compared with last year's Confed Cup when they played very well. I believe its down to Fred. Last year he was in very good form and his contributions took the pressure off of Neymar to carry the weight in attack. In fact they were both quite balanced in their contributions and Fred ended up level with Torres for Golden Boot. Brazil will need a massive performance out of Fred if they're going to win this thing.

Dylan94

I obviously wish Neymar all the best but now we will get to see once and for all whether Brazil were always meant to win this tournament or not in this game. Without Neymar Brazil are - as many have been saying - average and so only the referees will be able to help them from here on in.

Hojoon

Brazil missing their two best players. Germany are favorites for me.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I really dislike Neymar, but nobody deserves something like that, especially if it's not his own fault.
Thiago Silva is a giant idiot. That yellow card he got was so stupid, it actually hurt to watch.

Anyway: We absolutely have to win this now!

ea385

The fact that Uruguay and England won the WC doesn't mean they add more prestige than the Nederlands.
I think Holland is one of the biggest fooballcountries in the world
Of course it does. Holland hasn't won sh*t and aren't close to being among the big football countries. They are an actual minnow.

Winrar

Neymar out and Thiago Silva suspended. Other players for Brazil will have to step up now.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Don't worry lads, we got this! They are missing Neymar and Silva, the two players that make this Championship quality side seem decent