Day 22: Brazil vs. Germany

Bergin

Been trying to figure out why Brazil are not as effective at the WC compared with last year's Confed Cup when they played very well. I believe its down to Fred. Last year he was in very good form and his contributions took the pressure off of Neymar to carry the weight in attack. In fact they were both quite balanced in their contributions and Fred ended up level with Torres for Golden Boot. Brazil will need a massive performance out of Fred if they're going to win this thing.

I think it's more about the fact Brazil were the only ones who cared about the Confed Cup.

Bergin

Yep, no one cared that why everyone brought their strongest possible squads
Irrelevant, teams also play their strongest side in the charity shield. Brazil had infinitely more to play for with the social pressures hanging over the heads of the players. Players from certain other countries were probably looking forward to their holidays after a long season.

Fenomeno9

Irrelevant, teams also play their strongest side in the charity shield. Brazil had infinitely more to play for with the social pressures hanging over the heads of the players. Players from certain other countries were probably looking forward to their holidays after a long season.
The Spain players talk about how that was the only trophy that they lack and they was talking the tournament very seriously. Coaches have talk about how they used the tournament as prep for next year.

Hamadovich86

Brazil will go into this one as the underdogs now that Neymar and Thiago Silva are not available. The Germans clearly have a better all have been playing better than Brazil. The crowd will be loud as hell for this one so I could only hope for a miracle.

pk8819

Germany need to get rid of brazil and someone else get rid of Argentina..Cant bear watching these 2 teams anywhere near to the final..

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I still think it will be 50/50.
It really shouldn't be if you have anything about you.

Brazil will be all hustle and bustle without Neymar - all power and pace with no creativity or guile. They'll have to rely on set pieces now, which is absurd for a Brazilian team.

Unless you lose to an incredible FK or long range effort there should be nothing to fear from this Brazil side without Neymar, and little to stop you without Silva.

A 50/50 game became a 20/80.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Willians time to shine. One thing he will do is work his arse off. Not the best end product but very dangerous running with the ball. Brazil will miss Silva more than Neymar imo

Miscemayl

Brazil was unimpressive even with Neymar and Silva. Without them, should offer little threat to the Germans.

Agree with 20/80 above

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Brazil play very functional football without Neymar. No particular strength of style or tactics and missing both Neymar and Silva will hurt them. No strikers who have done anything remotely inspiring. Germany should win this one.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
In fairness, Germany haven't exactly been impressive themselves. Brazil will need Oscar to ramp it up a bit though normally their most reliable player.

Dan_F

Normally I would be supporting Brazil, but after last nights foul fest I really don't think I can. I even laughed a bit when Neymar had to go off, even though none of the Brazil fouls were that dangerous, they definitely ruined the game.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
A 50/50 game became a 20/80.
It's a World Cup semifinal against Brazil in Brazil. They'll turn it into a battle and no team will win it by outplaying them. You can't expect a referee who throws yellow cards around either. You need to fight it out with them and make it count with the few chances you get. It's still 50/50 and it won't be pretty.

Last edited:

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Normally I would be supporting Brazil, but after last nights foul fest I really don't think I can. I even laughed a bit when Neymar had to go off, even though none of the Brazil fouls were that dangerous, they definitely ruined the game.
None of the teams left I am really a supporter of. I guess there is still some residual sympathy for Holland that has me leaning towards them about but I just cant stand Robben. I think Messi is a footballing genius and wouldnt be unhappy if the Argies won it for his sake. The Germans just lack something exciting about their play but they havent been dirty or obnoxious. Belgium have been disappointing in terms of how they have played, for some reason I expected them to be more fun to watch. I cant see Costa Rica beating Holland but its been the 2nd tier teams who have provided the best entertainment for me so far. I have in the past always loved watching Brazil but they just lack that something magical and its even worse if they dont have Neymar.
I dont know who I want to win it but suspect its going to be Germany.

saivet

Germany just need to keep their cool and not allow themselves to get kicked out of the game. With two big players out for Brazil I'd expect them to be more dirty than they were last night. While the consistent fouling is horrible to watch it can also be effective, especially if it gets to the opposition. Germany favorites but I wouldn't rule Brazil out.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's a World Cup semifinal against Brazil in Brazil. They'll turn it into a battle and no team will win it by outplaying them. You can't expect a referee who throws yellow cards around either. You need to fight it out with them and make it count with the few chances you get. It's still 50/50 and it won't be pretty.
That's the point I already made. It's hardly like you're playing Mid 00's Chelsea (or Stoke away :smirk:); this Brazilian side are not even good at scrapping and fighting, the only players they have who thrive in that kind of game are Luiz, Ramires and Hulk.

All they have left now is heart and the energy of the crowd, but they don't have the ability or the composure to back it up.

Germany should know what to expect and don't have much of an excuse (outside of Brazil suddenly playing like a good, solid team or the refs doing them over) to not come through this one.

You have to be heavy favourites now.

23rd

Here`s my hope for the match

Germany wins, Klose finally surpassed Ronaldo goal

But, i do think it will be Brazil goes to final..

Lets face it, Brazil luck are really2 extremely good this time

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Only Reus gets into the XI.
Badstuber and Gündogan would be in the first XI easily, when fit and in form. Until he got injured, Badstuber was clearly Germany's #1 CB, ahead of the likes of Hummels, Boateng and Merte.

Germany will probably win. No Neymar and no Thiago Silva.
Please stop to use that as an excuse already. Germany is missing Reus, for GER he would be as important as Neymar for BRA. Instead of him they have an uber useless Özil playing on the left.

Brazil has still a great defense while Germany is missing something special upfront. This game will be open.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't get the discussion about what team has more injuries. It's obvious that Germany has a more balanced squad with greater depth and the missing players at no point had the same impact on the team as Brazil's talismanic attacking player and their captain and best centerback in the world. It's a huge huge blow for Brazil, especially because they have no time to adapt. Germany had more than a year time to build a team without Badstuber and Gündogan and a few weeks to adjust to Reus missing the World Cup. Brazil's attack is built around Neymar and the defense is built around Silva and they have 3 days to find a solution.

I just think that we'll get to see another dirty game with lots of fouls and no rhythm, so it most likely will be decided by a set-piece or a counter. Games like that can go either way and the home advantage will be there.

pk05

Germany will win .They have got a much more balanced squad than brazil.Brazil don't stand a chance without thiago silva and to a certain extend neymar also eventhough he was pretty useless yday.Too easy for germany ...

Treble

Neymar and Silva are a huge blow for Brazil but at the same time their absence could help them alleviate the pressure of the expectations. They'll be heroes if they manage to win that game, that's going to be the first game in which they aren't favourites. Wish Germany to beat them convincingly though. Brazil have been underwhelming.

Last edited:

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Too easy for germany ...
That's bullshit. That will be a very tough game for either side. It's a semifinal between 2 of the greatest nationalteams in history. And Brazil is still playing at home.

Seb22

Brazil deserve to have Silva and Neymar missing. Had dubious penalties given, hacking players down and not getting booked. How that wasn't a red card last night. Quite clearly 'an obvious goalscoring opportunity'. Brazil's 'home advantage' has run out now. Hope Germany smash them 34-0.

Plugsy

Brazil are buggered. Germany will swat them away like a fly.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Brazil are more than capable of getting a result. Germany have been good but not great during this World Cup and, even without the players Scolari ignored like Coutinho and Lucas, Brazil have still got a whole host of quality to call upon. The big question for me is will Scolari stubbornly stick to 'his guys' or will he start with the better players?

Neymar dropping out offers Scolari the opportunity to introduce some real balance to the team. Fernandinho and Luis Gustavo are capable of holding down the midfield, with Hernanes adding some passing ability to their midfield. Ahead of them Oscar can be joined by Willian, who has the speed to trouble the German back line, and maybe Hulk can move inside? I don't rate Hulk but he's big and strong and can probably hold up the ball and bring others into play better than Fred or Jo.

Its easy to overstate how bad Brazil are because Scolari keeps picking bad players, but a close look at their squad will highlight they've got a lot of guys at elite clubs. After this World Cup, whatever happens, Scolari should resign. His team selections and tactics show him to be a man of the past. Brazil need to build for the future.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
I think we'll play on the counter.. I hope Dante and Luiz can get some good direct balls to Hulk and Willian to expose that very high German line. They have some slow players in that line.. Germany is great though, we need to be tight on defense

montpelier

Hulk up front, supported by Willian & Oscar, Ramires to come in, Fred must get a rest unless he has incriminating material on Scolari.

Germany to win though, hopefully.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
No Neymar or Silva means there is basically not a single position on the pitch where Germany isn't stronger than Brazil.

They'll grind a win.