Day 23: Uruguay vs France and Brazil vs Belgium

Nickosaur

Tempted to start at work early so I can leave early and watch the France Uruguay game in the beer garden by my work, weather supposed to be fantastic.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Belgium has problems in the transition from attack to defense, and it is kinda slow. The velocity of Gabriel Jesus can be decisive in this game, and not only while attacking, he can drop back to defend and mark in Neymar's place.

Firmino is better for Brazil when the opponent is parking the bus. He is taller and can help creating chances and opening spaces dropping back to the midfield.
This is a good point. Although I think bringing Jesus off the bench might have been just as effective.
I haven't been impressed with him so far and felt Firmino should have started sooner but as you mention tactically this might be best match of the tournament to start Jesus. How do you rate Thiago Silva's tournament?

Inter Yer Nan

Tempted to start at work early so I can leave early and watch the France Uruguay game in the beer garden by my work, weather supposed to be fantastic.
I'm taking the day off. Got 105 degree heat wave here tomorrow too so will be on the scoops from 6:30am to sit back and enjoy the games. Can't wait.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Can't see Uruguay doing anything of note without Cavani.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I have the flu and will have to hospitalized worst case scenario after blood analysis results. This fecking hospital better have tv
You have to be hospitalized because of a flu?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Cavani is a huge loss for Uruguay, especially with Suarez not looking as sharp as usual this tournament
I think Suarez has looked pretty good actually but has clearly served as a secondary striker to Cavani. Some of his runs and passing have been pretty phenomenal. Problem is - he can't pass to himself.

Fenomeno9

While I don’t agree with Tite decision to start Jesus over Firmino, he earned enough clout that I will support his decision. Tite states Jesus starts for tactical reasons. I believe his superb workrate and he tends to linkup better with Neymar is keeping him in the lineup. At some point, Tite has to make the tough decision though.

JaycarBR

Supports
Corinthians
This is a good point. Although I think bringing Jesus off the bench might have been just as effective.
I haven't been impressed with him so far and felt Firmino should have started sooner but as you mention tactically this might be best match of the tournament to start Jesus. How do you rate Thiago Silva's tournament?
He is doing quite well. Everybody in Brazil where taken by surprise with Tite putting Marquinhos on the bench. The partinership with Marquinhos and Miranda played 21 games and suffered only 5 goals. I think thats impressive! But then, when the World Cup was about to begin, Tite choose Silva over Marquinhos.

I belive that hapenned because of Silva's experience in World Cups. Also, because of the idea that Thiago at his best could be way better than of what Marquinhos can deliver today. And let's say, until now, he has been doing amazing.

Brasil has managed to score 54 times and suffer only 6 goals since Tite took the job as Brazil's manager. 19 games without letting the opponet score.

Tite won 1 Libertadores (South-american UCL), 1 Club World Cup (against Chelsea), 1 Brazilian cup, 1 south-american cup (same level as the Europa League), 2 Brazilian League (Like the EPL) and 1 Recopa (like the UEFA Supercup).

Thank god we are done with the inexperienced Dunga or outdated Felipao. Yeah, i am brazilian.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

el3mel

They lost both their main fullbacks with this ? Or will Marcelo play again ?

Neo_Mufc

My gut instinct is that Brazil will be going home tomorrow.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Kind of worried about Marcelo not sure he would help out with the defence. Felipe Luis has performed exceptionally during his absence so I'd have gone ahead with him. Danilo also ruled out for the WC. :nervous:

Brazil vs Belgium will be like Real Madrid/Barca vs PSG where it seems like one hyped and overglorified team will finally break the superpower but turns out to be a pretender. Brazil to breeze 3-1. I have never been so confident about this that I've placed a significant bet on Brazil to advance to the next round with 58% profit margin.

Cavani out will be a huge loss for Uruguay, Suarez seems past it but as usual they will be strong defensively. Past 5 h2h have been four 0-0s and a 1-0 win for France. France to edge this 1-0 again.

Last edited:

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Kind of worried about Marcelo not sure he would help out with the defence. Felipe Luis has performed exceptionally during his absence so I'd have gone ahead with him. Danilo also ruled out for the WC. :nervous:

Brazil vs Belgium will be like Real Madrid/Barca vs PSG where it seems like one hyped and overglorified team will finally break the superpower but turns out to be a pretender. Brazil to breeze 3-1. I have never been so confident about this that I've placed a significant bet on Brazil to advance to the next round with 58% profit margin.

Cavani out will be a huge loss for Uruguay, Suarez seems past it but as usual they will be strong defensively. Past 5 h2h have been four 0-0s and a 1-0 win for France. France to edge this 1-0 again.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
France v Uruguay will be fairy cagey I think but really tense and absorbing. Can see a 0-0 and pens potentially.

Brazil v Belgium looks exciting. You have to think Brazil will win as they are so solid and Belgium look like every Martinez teams does...open at the back. Still, I reckon Belgium would score goals against any team. Would be brilliant if they won that. I think Brazil 3-1 though.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
France v Belgium will be fairy cagey I think but really tense and absorbing. Can see a 0-0 and pens potentially.

Brazil v Belgium looks exciting. You have to think Brazil will win as they are so solid and Belgium look like every Martinez teams does...open at the back. Still, I reckon Belgium would score goals against any team. Would be brilliant if they won that. I think Brazil 3-1 though.
You reckon? I think they might be a bit knackered after the France game to to be honest.

JaycarBR

Supports
Corinthians
I don't understand... Everywhere i look, most of the people say that Belgium is going to Win, How can that be?

Brazil has amazing numbers and results, good players and a solid game. While Belgium in spite of having good players, has a much more instable playing style and problems in their defense transition.

How can that be?

Last edited:

NikkiCFC

Supports
Chelsea
I don't understand... Everywhere i look, most of the people say that Belgium is going to Win, How can that be?

Brazil has amazing numbers and results, good players and a solid game. While Belgium in spite of having good players, has a much more instable playing style and problems in their defense transition.

How can that be?
Hazard is better then Neymar, Lukaku then Jesus and KDB then Coutinho. Martinez is key. If he starts again with 2 men midfield Witsel and KDB then Brazil is gonna win.

Charles Miller

How can that be?
Belgium can win. Nothing wrong with that. Brazil are favourites though. Maybe. Or not.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I will support Belgium tomorrow. But i reckon Brazil has more chance to win.

Alek M

Da manic one

How can that be?
Naymar sometimes does too much. Hazard,Debrune,Lukaku link up well. If Belgium goes wide a good bit,they can create a lot of chances. Brazil has not impressed this wc really. Maybe more on the defensive side than offensive. Mexico had them in the first 20 min but not enough qualities to finish the chances (actually Mexico players were so selfish in the last 3rd)

JaycarBR

Supports
Corinthians
Hazard is not better than Neymar. He may be playing better for now in the world cup (that people forget that he just came back of a injury).

And even if Hazard, Lukaku and Kevin were better than Coutinho, Neymar and Jesus... Thats not how football works. The system of both teams facing each other that really matter in a match.

Well, i invite you guys to read those articles:

Make No Mistake: Brazil Is Dominating This World Cup
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/make-no-mistake-brazil-is-dominating-this-world-cup/

Which World Cup Team Is The Best At Wasting Time?
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-world-cup-team-is-the-best-at-wasting-time/

Teams that waste the most time in World Cup:
Peru, Serbia, Sweden, France and England.

And I want to say one thing. Neymar is overracting at the fouls that he is suffering, BUT he is also being beaten A LOT. You guys are ignoring this fact... And he always had to cope with this. Anyway, Neymar is a amazing player, i believe that people is exaggerating on the hating to the point of diminishing his level.

Belgium has great players and can definitely win. That i agree.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Hazard is better then Neymar, Lukaku then Jesus and KDB then Coutinho. Martinez is key. If he starts again with 2 men midfield Witsel and KDB then Brazil is gonna win.
Not that those individual assessments are actually important to the result of the match, but in what universe is Hazard better than Neymar?

the_irish123

While I don’t agree with Tite decision to start Jesus over Firmino, he earned enough clout that I will support his decision. Tite states Jesus starts for tactical reasons. I believe his superb workrate and he tends to linkup better with Neymar is keeping him in the lineup. At some point, Tite has to make the tough decision though.
It's bollocks because Firmino runs as much as Jesus, he does basically everything better right now. I think it's a toll on Neymar because defenders literally don't even have to worry about Jesus. And psychologically, Jesus is looking to pass now because he lost confidence, so he became a predictable clog.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
So a team of Argentinian referees will be in charge of the France-Uruguay game. Has that happened before right after a country eliminated the refs' team? Seems like a very stupid decision as every decision this team of refs make will be highly scrutinized.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Naymar sometimes does too much. Hazard,Debrune,Lukaku link up well. If Belgium goes wide a good bit,they can create a lot of chances. Brazil has not impressed this wc really. Maybe more on the defensive side than offensive. Mexico had them in the first 20 min but not enough qualities to finish the chances (actually Mexico players were so selfish in the last 3rd)
Belgium just got lucky against a worse team. Think Brazil will win this quite easily. They are solid in every department and have just enough gamesmanship in them to see it through.

The 3 at the back for Belgium will also allow Neymar a lot of free space on the flanks. Japan hurt Belgium a lot this way and Neymar is a different animal.

I also think Martinez is out of his depth and is overcomplicating things. Whilst Carrasco at LWB and Witsel and De Bruyne in a midfield 2 might work against Panama and Tunisia it's suicidal against balanced teams.

Gasolin

So a team of Argentinian referees will be in charge of the France-Uruguay game. Has that happened before right after a country eliminated the refs' team? Seems like a very stupid decision as every decision this team of refs make will be highly scrutinized.
Seriously? FIFA should not allow that, for real... it's unconsciousness at best.

the_irish123

That's the dumbest decision ever. It's like if a Welsh ref would be in charge of Colombia-England.

Even if he's the most unbiased ref ever, he's still pressured not to help Uruguay, and every decision of him will be put under a microscope. Hopefully it's a normal game.