Day 23: Uruguay vs France and Brazil vs Belgium

Gasolin

That's the dumbest decision ever. It's like if a Welsh ref would be in charge of Colombia-England.

Even if he's the most unbiased ref ever, he's still pressured not to help Uruguay, and every decision of him will be put under a microscope. Hopefully it's a normal game.
But Uruguay plays very tough by definition, this is going to leave a very strange feeling then.

JaycarBR

Supports
Corinthians
This text that i'm posting is part of the article that i just posted above:

"As for Neymar, while the way he plays might draw criticism, it’s important not to confuse his style with what he actually produces on the field. His numbers have been simply astounding. And it’s not just his bottom line of two goals and one assist: His 0.80 non-penalty expected goals per 90 minutes is second in the tournament behind only Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku (among players with at least 135 minutes of playing time). It’s also double the 0.40 non-penalty expected goals he averaged per 90 minutes during qualifying. He’s also an ample creator, mainly thanks to his set piece ability. He’s created 3.67 chances per 90 minutes, fifth most in the tournament among qualified players,Players with at least 135 minutes played.

">1
with 1.38 of them coming from corners (third most among qualified players) and 0.69 coming from free kick passes (tied for sixth most). And Neymar is doing all that while getting the snot kicked out of him. He’s being fouled 5.27 times per 90 minutes, the highest rate of any player who saw at least 135 minutes in any of the last three World Cups — he may have a habit of exaggerating the severity of the contact, but there’s no denying that he takes a lot of hits.

Scratch the surface of the criticism against Brazil and you’ll find it’s all stylistic. Sure, maybe Jesus is shooting less, but it isn’t hurting the team. It’s true that Neymar is spending a lot of time rolling around on the grass, but it’s also true that he’s getting fouled more than anybody else and he’s still putting up huge numbers. The criticism of how Brazil is playing is obscuring just how well it’s playing. Nobody else pairs a top-notch ability to suppress opponent’s shots with the ability to generate a boatload of their own. And nobody else has Neymar, the most dangerous winger in the world."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/make-no-mistake-brazil-is-dominating-this-world-cup/

Micky Targaryen

Imagine Fellaini lifting the WC. :rolleyes: Would he be the worse ever player to win it?
I think France vs Uruguay will decide who wins the WC. These are the best two teams left.
Why even bother to support the club and post crap like this? Must really make your blood boil to see Fellaini have a good game.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Apparently Fellaini and Chadli in for Mertens and Carrasco.

Classical Mechanic

Brazil and France will go through for me. I think Brazil will score 3 against Belgium with maybe a couple in reply. France to sneak through against Uruguay. Pogba to Giroud for a headed goal. People will be scratching their heads as to why Mbappe didn't turn up but it will be because of Uruguay's style that gives him no space to operate in.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
So a team of Argentinian referees will be in charge of the France-Uruguay game. Has that happened before right after a country eliminated the refs' team? Seems like a very stupid decision as every decision this team of refs make will be highly scrutinized.
People said the same when the Senagalese guy was the ref for the Belgium v Japan game and he did a great job.

Absolutely nothing in this. Especially as Argentina's elimination was hardly controversial.

Rajma

Uruguay to scrape their way to the semis even without Cavani they should be able to contain France.

Brazil to trash Belgium.

Resonance

This text that i'm posting is part of the article that i just posted above:

"As for Neymar, while the way he plays might draw criticism, it’s important not to confuse his style with what he actually produces on the field. His numbers have been simply astounding. And it’s not just his bottom line of two goals and one assist: His 0.80 non-penalty expected goals per 90 minutes is second in the tournament behind only Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku (among players with at least 135 minutes of playing time). It’s also double the 0.40 non-penalty expected goals he averaged per 90 minutes during qualifying. He’s also an ample creator, mainly thanks to his set piece ability. He’s created 3.67 chances per 90 minutes, fifth most in the tournament among qualified players,Players with at least 135 minutes played.

">1
with 1.38 of them coming from corners (third most among qualified players) and 0.69 coming from free kick passes (tied for sixth most). And Neymar is doing all that while getting the snot kicked out of him. He’s being fouled 5.27 times per 90 minutes, the highest rate of any player who saw at least 135 minutes in any of the last three World Cups — he may have a habit of exaggerating the severity of the contact, but there’s no denying that he takes a lot of hits.

Scratch the surface of the criticism against Brazil and you’ll find it’s all stylistic. Sure, maybe Jesus is shooting less, but it isn’t hurting the team. It’s true that Neymar is spending a lot of time rolling around on the grass, but it’s also true that he’s getting fouled more than anybody else and he’s still putting up huge numbers. The criticism of how Brazil is playing is obscuring just how well it’s playing. Nobody else pairs a top-notch ability to suppress opponent’s shots with the ability to generate a boatload of their own. And nobody else has Neymar, the most dangerous winger in the world."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/make-no-mistake-brazil-is-dominating-this-world-cup/
What an incredibly skewed and biased article that has to reference such things as the useless 'expected goals' stat to try and form an argument. Then it tries to defend Neymar's embarrassing and theatrical behaviour by suggesting it's because he get's fouled more which in itself is deeply flawed.

The bolded bit is the best for me, since when is 2 goals 'huge numbers'?

Reactions: Cheimoon

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Uruguay and Belgium to the semis, Uruguay wins and then lose to England in the final.
It's safe to put your money on this, i only take 10% of your winnings.

Traub

I really hope Belgium can do it. Can’t stand Brazil and Neymar’s antics.

Canagel

What a terrible idea to put these two games on the same day. Not everyone will be able to watch both games because of work. I will probably miss part of France vs Uruguay but should be able to catch the 2nd half at least.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
All I can marvel is how far Belgium has come. 10 years ago, if you tell any Belgian or just about anyone that Belgium will make it to the quarter-final of a World Cup against Brazil with a 27% chance of winning and tipped as one of the dark horse to win the whole thing, they will laugh at you. Shows how important development at the grassroot level is.

Ainu

All I can marvel is how far Belgium has come. 10 years ago, if you tell any Belgian or just about anyone that Belgium will make it to the quarter-final of a World Cup against Brazil with a 27% chance of winning and tipped as one of the dark horse to win the whole thing, they will laugh at you. Shows how important development at the grassroot level is.
Yeah back then we would've been over the moon if we could get through qualifying. We had Dembélé as our striker ffs! :lol:

Zoo

2 amazing games today. Just a shame that Cavani is unavailable.

InfiniteBoredom

The Brazilian girl at my workplace isn’t bullish at all about their chances, said Neymar is a selfish dickhead and Jesus is useless.

However, Belgium almost got dicked by Japan so Brazil should still be through.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Cavani seems too big a loss for Uruguay for me, such is his form. I also expect Brazil to get past Belgium, albeit they could be missing Neymar and Coutinho from the semi. The latter fro sure will be involved in some controversy and if yellows start flying he'll be sorry.

klsv

Hope Belgium will at least give Brazil a game. I would actually start Fellaini in a midfield three, they'd cope better with Brazil's attack and he would definitely frustrate Neymar, handy in the box too.

France needs to wake the feck up, they have more than enough to get through Uruguay if they put in an effort, have to keep it tight at back, this is not Argentina you can easily out-score.

Canagel

So a team of Argentinian referees will be in charge of the France-Uruguay game. Has that happened before right after a country eliminated the refs' team? Seems like a very stupid decision as every decision this team of refs make will be highly scrutinized.
That is a stupid decision.

Alabaster Codify7

So gutted I'm missing the first game.

I'll say:

Uruguay 0 - 1 France
Tight, gruelling game but without Cavani, Uruguay struggle a bit to create. France struggle to break them down though, and nick it in the final 10mins with a counter-attack - Mbappe, 83.

Brazil 2 - 1 Belgium

Brazil score just before half-time, Firmino with a tap-in set up by Neymar. Belgium score early in the second, Hazard with a penalty. Belgium then dominate for ages, but Brazil win in extra-time with a Neymar penalty set up by Neymar himself being controversially 'fouled' or similar.

Minimalist

Phew, thank god it's back today.

Was getting withdrawal symptoms.

Think France will have enough to beat Suarez and Company.

Hoping Belgium can overpower Brazil.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Cavani out is massive blow for Uruguay. Suarez been getting better each game in his tournament but think it's too much to expect him on his own to give France back 4 the runaround.

If France can defend well set pieces I can see them winning by a goal. 1-0 France.

Haven't read this thread but what's the word in Belgium, is Martinez sticking with the 3-5-2? Big error if he is. Carrasco was hopeless playing in it v Japan. Personally I would go to back 4 and put Vertonghen or Vermaelaen at LB for this game.

Think Brazil will win 2-1. Does Neymar miss the semi final if he's booked today?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Strange quote from Griezmann not exactly endearing to Atletico fans

Breaking down a defence controlled by José Giménez and Diego Godín will be easier said than done, as their clubmate Griezmann is all too aware. “Uruguay will be like Atlético,” said Griezmann this week. “They will take their time, fall, go to the referee. We will have to get used to that because the match will be boring and they will want to bring us into that.”
"Uruguay are nothing like Atletico Madrid.....";)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Would've kept Mertens in as you need good pace to run at Miranda and Silva and Mertens makes so many good forward runs off the shoulder of last defender. Guess the problem is he's the focal point for Napoli and here Lukaku is.

Can understand Fellani in as Brazil physical in midfield with Paulinho and Fernandinho.

So guessing this means Chadli as left wing back....there's the weak point right there soe expecting neymar drifting that side all game.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Strange quote from Griezmann not exactly endearing to Atletico fans

Breaking down a defence controlled by José Giménez and Diego Godín will be easier said than done, as their clubmate Griezmann is all too aware. “Uruguay will be like Atlético,” said Griezmann this week. “They will take their time, fall, go to the referee. We will have to get used to that because the match will be boring and they will want to bring us into that.”
Funnily enough, it reminds me an interview with Simeone on L'équipe where he was saying things that looked like that. He is strangely honest about his approach and even said that he is putting shackles on someone like Griezmann, that he would be a more prolific striker for a different coach.

Terminator

Really want Belgium to win tonight, I do not like Neymar and his antics.

Ainu

Would've kept Mertens in as you need good pace to run at Miranda and Silva and Mertens makes so many good forward runs off the shoulder of last defender. Guess the problem is he's the focal point for Napoli and here Lukaku is.

Can understand Fellani in as Brazil physical in midfield with Paulinho and Fernandinho.

So guessing this means Chadli as left wing back....there's the weak point right there soe expecting neymar drifting that side all game.
Keeping Mertens in the side would mean a midfield 2 of Witsel and De Bruyne, which is suicide in my opinion. Mertens has largely been ineffectual (opening goal aside) so it makes sense to switch him out for an additional midfielder. I'd personally go for Dembélé who can boss a midfield when in form and keep Fellaini as a potential sub on the bench. The wing backs are a systemic weakness but at least Chadli should be an improvement over Carrasco there, who's been plain awful for the entire tournament.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Hoping both european teams go out! While i think Belgium will lose its going to be tricky in the other tie, really hope Godin can produce another masterclass today.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
People said the same when the Senagalese guy was the ref for the Belgium v Japan game and he did a great job.

Absolutely nothing in this. Especially as Argentina's elimination was hardly controversial.
Yeah, absolutely agree. Though the only reason I'd be against it is that it puts undue pressure on the ref as people would seem to be looking into any "mistake" to use the Nationality excuse.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not surprised. YFC has looked totally out of it all tournament, and I think Belgium look better without Mertens and KDB further forward. If only Radja was in to start with Fellaini as the impact sub.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
What an incredibly skewed and biased article that has to reference such things as the useless 'expected goals' stat to try and form an argument. Then it tries to defend Neymar's embarrassing and theatrical behaviour by suggesting it's because he get's fouled more which in itself is deeply flawed.

The bolded bit is the best for me, since when is 2 goals 'huge numbers'?
It was neither skewed nor biased.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Just learned that apparently Griezmann is a massive Uruguay and Peñarol fan.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

If I'm not mistaken, Godin is his best mate, he is also close to Gimenez and Cavani.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Keeping Mertens in the side would mean a midfield 2 of Witsel and De Bruyne, which is suicide in my opinion. Mertens has largely been ineffectual (opening goal aside) so it makes sense to switch him out for an additional midfielder. I'd personally go for Dembélé who can boss a midfield when in form and keep Fellaini as a potential sub on the bench. The wing backs are a systemic weakness but at least Chadli should be an improvement over Carrasco there, who's been plain awful for the entire tournament.
I hope it’ll be more of a 4-4-1-1 with Chadli on the right to cover and Hazard to win the matchup against Fagner, with Fellaini leaning close to Lukaku.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If I'm not mistaken, Godin is his best mate, he is also close to Gimenez and Cavani.
Yeah, Godin is also his daughter's godfather; Lasarte was the manager that gave him his Real Sociedad debut and Carlos Bueno was his best mate there (who introduced him to Peñarol)

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

He was made socio n°100,000 of Peñarol.