Day 25: France vs. Belgium SF

El-Manos

For me Brazil was the most threatening team in this tournament. Going by that logic, Belgium should win this. France are still exceptional on paper though, probably going to be a close game.

The Firestarter

France seem much more clinical in front of goal. This gives them advantage in a more of a closed game which a world cup semi final is supposed to be.

Inter Yer Nan

KDB to play RWB?

Can see Pogba being marked closely and Belgium looking to counter fast. Full-backs defensively an issue for Belgium though especially with Mbappe and Griezmann.

Charlie Foley

Pogba bossed Dembele last time they played.

I don't know who to pick. I'm a point off first in my predictions league and the person in first guessed 2-2

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
If this goes to the last minute or overtime you d figure France s stronger bench will make the difference. Still don't feel they ve been firing at all cylinders yet tho whereas Belgium has.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
This is a tasty fixture...two young sides full of attacking talent. Hopefully we get a goal fest and wouldn’t mind seeing extra time and pens. I think Belgium edge this one, although it’s a matter of who England will beat in the final :)

simplyared

Pogba looking the part stepping down from the bus on arrival at the stadium. Never understood those haircuts tbh. Love it if he could make his mark on tonights game.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Question: If England did get to the final, who would you rather play?
France. Not because I think they're the weaker side (I actually do think they will win tonight) but because they're more of a traditional rival of England, so to the game would have an added edge. Neither are weak sides and we would be obvious underdogs against both, so might as well go for the side with a bit more of a blockbuster factor.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I fancy Belgium to go through …. think this is where France will be found out.

redpatron

Martinez with possibly the riskiest move yet with dembele and fellani in the middle. Should pay off, they going to manhandle and bully that French midfield. I hope fellani elbows that racist griezmann for good measure.

James Peril

Belgium’s team looks very unbalanced, then you have Chadli, Fellaini and Witsel amongst them.. not exactly top quality. France should be favorites based on them having a balanced line-up, Griezmann going to be very important. Neither central strikers are top goalscorers for these teams, I think it’s going to be between Hazard and Griezmann to win this game

Inter Yer Nan

France. Not because I think they're the weaker side (I actually do think they will win tonight) but because they're more of a traditional rival of England, so to the game would have an added edge. Neither are weak sides and we would be obvious underdogs against both, so might as well go for the side with a bit more of a blockbuster factor.
I'd probably rather it be Belgium. Nothing against the French really but because of history I'd take a possible loss against Belgium as it would soften the blow. In addition Belgium have never won anything and I think this French team would more than likely be favorites in 2026.

As far as who'd be a more challenging rival? Really, they are both as hard as each other. There's no preference there. Both have class all over the pitch.

Inter Yer Nan

Belgium’s team looks very unbalanced, then you have Chadli, Fellaini and Witsel amongst them.. not exactly top quality. France should be favorites based on them having a balanced line-up, Griezmann going to be very important. Neither central strikers are top goalscorers for these teams, I think it’s going to be between Hazard and Griezmann to win this game
How do you figure? Lukaku is Belgium's top scorer at this tournament and in the history of the national team. Based on facts he is the top scorer for his team.

PoTMS

BBC and ITV seem to be very inter-changeable with their broadcasts. The TV guide had it listed to be on ITV?
Both semi finals were listed by both BBC and ITV until Saturday when the fixtures were finalised. ITV have first pick of the semi's so obviously chose the England match.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Martinez is being weird here. Imagine choosing a World Cup Semi-Final to start meddling with Football Manager-style joke tactics! I know Muenier’s absence is hampering Belgium a little, but Martinez has gone full-scale van Gaal here.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I think Martinez has overthought this one.
This could be a danger. He's a very tactical manager, and I think after Brazil he said something about how he's never lost a game on the tactics board but that getting the players to perform as he imagines it is an entirely different thing. They obviously did against Brazil, but if he's tried to do too much and the players aren't perfectly able to perform their roles it could go badly wrong. Especially if France got a goal early and the players (in roles they're not entirely comfortable in) start to panic, then everything that was on the tactics board gets thrown out of the window.

That's the problem .. the difference between being a tactical genius and a fool is often as simple as that early set piece Belgium scored, or a bit of luck anyway. Such fine lines in football, or any sport for that matter. Delighted Dembele is getting a chance from the start though, he's a player who has had his troubles with injuries this season but when he's been fit and his usual self he gives us an entirely different dynamic. We may see him move on from Spurs but either way I wish him all the best, he doesn't score or assist much but I can safely say he's our most entertaining player to watch, combines power and technique beautifully.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Martinez is being weird here. Imagine choosing a World Cup Semi-Final to start meddling with Football Manager-style joke tactics! I know Muenier’s absence is hampering Belgium a little, but Martinez has gone full-scale van Gaal here.
Just wait until he subs off Courtois if it goes to penalties. ;)

Canagel

I think the Belgian midfield will get totally overwhelmed by the French one. Fellaini and Witsel are no match for Kante and Pogba.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I'd probably rather it be Belgium. Nothing against the French really but because of history I'd take a possible loss against Belgium as it would soften the blow. In addition Belgium have never won anything and I think this French team would more than likely be favorites in 2026.

As far as who'd be a more challenging rival? Really, they are both as hard as each other. There's no preference there. Both have class all over the pitch.
Those are fair reasons, I do think it's probably also because I have a couple of French friends and due to my parents owning a property there I've spent plenty of time in the country. For me it would just be a really exciting match up, but then equally would be harder to take if we lost .. so maybe Belgium is the safer option.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fellaini is going to go straight through Pogba and injure him, taking his place at United and winning us the league in the coming season.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
This could be a danger. He's a very tactical manager, and I think after Brazil he said something about how he's never lost a game on the tactics board but that getting the players to perform as he imagines it is an entirely different thing. They obviously did against Brazil, but if he's tried to do too much and the players aren't perfectly able to perform their roles it could go badly wrong. Especially if France got a goal early and the players (in roles they're not entirely comfortable in) start to panic, then everything that was on the tactics board gets thrown out of the window.

That's the problem .. the difference between being a tactical genius and a fool is often as simple as that early set piece Belgium scored, or a bit of luck anyway. Such fine lines in football, or any sport for that matter. Delighted Dembele is getting a chance from the start though, he's a player who has had his troubles with injuries this season but when he's been fit and his usual self he gives us an entirely different dynamic. We may see him move on from Spurs but either way I wish him all the best, he doesn't score or assist much but I can safely say he's our most entertaining player to watch, combines power and technique beautifully.
It's really weird.

His lack of substitutions in that second half against Brasil almost cost Belgium the game. He looks the midfield battle and was constantly on the back foot in the 2nd half.

He's got 3 CMs in Witsel, Fellaini, Dembele. Hazard on 1 wing, Lukaku on the other. Is KDB playing false 9?

Switched to a back 4?

Just screams overthinking.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Pretty much the pre-final for me. I'd like Belgium to win, but i think France is playing more mature than them and thats why France will win.

FerociousCorgis

man if belgium could just swap out witsel and fellaini for pogba and kante....damn that would be a nice looking lineup