Day 25: France vs. Belgium SF

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
France vs. Belgium

Two balanced sides with great players all over the pitch. Neighboring countries. Club teammates on each side. Many great story lines for both sides.

Lukaku vs. Pogba
Hazard vs. Kante
Mbappe vs. Meunier
De Bruyne vs... Mendy
Thierry Henry vs. the ghost of his hand ball

Last edited:

kthanksbye

Should be a cracking game. Expect Belgium to set up like they did against Brazil. Pogba will be crucial if he can stay deep and spray passes, force the Belgium midfield to come higher up to pitch to stop him from doing that, and Giroud to push the defense deep, could create some space for Griezzmann and Mbappe between the lines.
Has been a great worldcup so far, especially since I've been a neutral from the beginning. Hope the last four games are the same.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Hoping for teams that go out to win rather than being scared shitless of losing.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Genuinely want the better team to win. Weird as I always have a team I hate every game but this one is different.

The French made me cry back in Euro 2000 (fecking Trezeguet) but the fiancee loves the French and I had enough fun when I tormented her for Euro 2016.

the_irish123

Belgium defends with 7 players, I don't think France will have such an off night offensively and will convert on their chances, winning 3-1

Nickthepip

Extra time, mass brawl, red cards for key players, cramp, neither manager receives a touch line ban, cramp, general exhaustion to soften them up for the final. Will extend the narrative that England are the worst team in the history of the world and only won any of their games due to sheer luck should they manage to get past those plucky Croatia who have had to go to pens. Twice.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Think both sides will score here. Kante will be the key player though trying to shackle Hazard and De Bruyne.

At least I can actually enjoy this game. Fingers crossed for a classic.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Impossible to call. France seem to be have more strings to their bow. 3-2 France.

Ainu

Belgium defends with 7 players, I don't think France will have such an off night offensively and will convert on their chances, winning 3-1
We only defended with 7 players because it was absolutely necessary in that second half, as we were up against a very potent attacking side throwing everything at us. France don't play anywhere near as attacking as Brazil did.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
2 of my favorites team for this world cup, wanted either of these teams to win it, so hopefully whoever wins it, will win finals also.

For this game will root for France because of Pogba.

Canagel

We only defended with 7 players because it was absolutely necessary in that second half, as we were up against a very potent attacking side throwing everything at us. France don't play anywhere near as attacking as Brazil did.
You also defended with 7 players in the 1st half too. The difference is you counter attacked with 3 players - Hazard, Lukaku and KDB everytime. Second half the counter attacks stopped because you had to drop deeper. If France are as naive as Brazil were then you'll win but the chances of that are very low. I don't think they will be as open so expect a closer game.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Don’t think France are as strong as Brazil were, but will be a very close game regardless which will be decided by details.

2-1 Belgium. Let’s do this.

Ainu

You also defended with 7 players in the 1st half too. The difference is you counter attacked with 3 players - Hazard, Lukaku and KDB everytime. Second half the counter attacks stopped because you had to drop deeper. If France are as naive as Brazil were then you'll win but the chances of that are very low. I don't think they will be as open so expect a closer game.
We regularly had Chadli and Meunier higher up the pitch. We defended as a unit but the other poster made it sound like we constantly had 7 people camping and doing nothing but defending.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
If Lukaku is playing on the right, he will overpower Hernandez everytime.
I'd say Belgium will aim crosses to the back post to Lukaku's side and try to get Lukaku 1 on 1 with Hernandez.

onemanarmy

Let's do this. Once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm already nervous. It's 50-50 I think, game will be won on small details and luck.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I still have the last France-Belgium in mind and I really didn't like it. So I give the edge to Belgium.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Has the potential to be the game of the tournament, or an absolute stinker. Let's hope for the former.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
This is so hard to call. I think France have the firepower to beat them but I wouldn't write Belgium off. It'll all depend on which of the big players perform. I'll go France... just.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I’m nonplussed as to who wins this tonight as I like both sides. All I want is a great game, some goals and for the United lads to do well. Not too much to ask, surely? :devil:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fancy France's experience to see them through. Don't trust Belgium's defence too much.
You fancy the experience of the second youngest team of the tournament against an older and more capped team? :angel:

Javi

Just sucks that there is still half a day of work between me and this game. I'll go with France to win.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
belgium were my tip at the beginning of the tournament. problem is I thought they'd be meeting France or germany in the final.