Day 3: Argentina vs Saudi Arabia | Denmark vs Tunisia | Mexico vs Poland | France vs Australia

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
On paper we should be able to get a result against Mexico but we never do well in the World Cup and openers are always the same ie high hopes that end up with a terrible performance and result… Korea 2002, Ecuador 2006, Senegal 2018. Same happened in Euro last year. Guess we will probably lose 3-1.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
On paper we should be able to get a result against Mexico but we never do well in the World Cup and openers are always the same ie high hopes that end up with a terrible performance and result… Korea 2002, Ecuador 2006, Senegal 2018. Same happened in Euro last year. Guess we will probably lose 3-1.
This is the first tournament in years when I don't have any expectations at all. And as I look around, there are quite a few of us. Maybe that could actually lead to something good, but - let's be frank - I'd go for an easy 3-0 win for Mexico.

I might not survive watching our defenders...

RVN1991

This is the first tournament in years when I don't have any expectations at all. And as I look around, there are quite a few of us. Maybe that could actually lead to something good, but - let's be frank - I'd go for an easy 3-0 win for Mexico.

This is the worst Mexico side in decades. You should get at least a point easily.

RVN1991

The Mexico team during recent times including the last qualification cycle and in friendlies against the likes or Uruguay is the worst that I've ever seen. I follow the team quite a lot and support them as my second favourite NT as my better half is Mexican. I remember there were concerns about the team going in the 2014 World Cup and they ended up performing very well, but they had a noticeably stronger squad of players back then they had have now.

Within CONCACAF their arch-rivals the USA look to be pulling away from them, and the lack of their Mexican players getting regularly minutes in top European leagues (the only regular starter at a club in a top European league this season has been Lozano at Napoli).

It will be interesting to see if they can reach the knockout stage at an 8th consecutive World Cup. Their opener against Poland is of course hugely important for both countries' chances.
Agreed. From the manager to the squad this is as uninspiring as I've seen a México side going into a world cup. Argentina will batter and humiliate us like they seem to do every single tournament and Poland on paper is comfortably better.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Does Hannibal Mejbri get regular game time for Tunisia or not?
He's been a regular late sub, but in their warm up game for the WC he played the full 90 minutes, hopefully signalling that him now playing regular championship games has earned him a starting spot

Lyng

I could see Tunisia being a difficult opponent if we dont strike fast. Hope we get two quick goals and kill the game.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Tahia Touness !!!

Hope we will prove to be tough for Denmark today. Really afraid we lose 3-0 today, as we can only play deep and in counter attack.

We might have some arguments in set pieces to, but not enough to win this game I think.

Watch out the atmosphere in the stadium as there is a large community in Qatar so probably good atmosphere for us.

I dream of a 1-1, but would bet for a 3-0 for Denmark.

Lyng

Tahia Touness !!!

Hope we will prove to be tough for Denmark today. Really afraid we lose 3-0 today, as we can only play deep and in counter attack.

We might have some arguments in set pieces to, but not enough to win this game I think.

Watch out the atmosphere in the stadium as there is a large community in Qatar so probably good atmosphere for us.

I dream of a 1-1, but would bet for a 3-0 for Denmark.
The games of yours I have seen you always seem very defensively solid. We have been vulnerable to strong counter sides before. I could easily see you guys give us problems today.

RoyH1

If you might not survive this, think of the millions of Mexicans who have to watch Lewandowski tearing the suspect Mexican defense apart. This is not a quality Mexican side. Too many old players and not enough top level performers. And Tata Martino has been a disappointment as a national manager. Very conservative in his choices.
If Poland plays like in the qualifiers they should have this. Stronger physically and tactically more coherent

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Why is Otamendi over Martinez that weird? I take it from the comments this season on here that Martinez has been great for you guys but Otamendi has been starting for an incredible Benfica side, played CL, topped their group, and has international experience (more so than Martinez).

If anything imo it's Romero > Martinez that's weird since he's only just gotten back from his hamstring injury (could be wrong, but think it's true).

Chairman Steve

I wont complain at Martinez being on the bench. He’s pretty fecking integral for us and the last thing we want is him going off with a significant injury that rules him out for anything over a month,

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I wont complain at Martinez being on the bench. He’s pretty fecking integral for us and the last thing we want is him going off with a significant injury that rules him out for anything over a month,
This.

Argentina going deep in the tournament would be nice for him, nightmarish for United however. If you think France will do well, which is likely, we could be left without either of our first choice centre halves when the season resumes in December.

RedDevilRoshi

Hope Argentina hammer them. Similar or better scoreline to England’s yesterday.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
No Martinez is disappointing. Has this always been the case? No idea how Otamendi or Romero have been playing, but Licha has been imperious.

That being said, I agree with this.

ElBarto

Why is Otamendi over Martinez that weird? I take it from the comments this season on here that Martinez has been great for you guys but Otamendi has been starting for an incredible Benfica side, played CL, topped their group, and has international experience (more so than Martinez).

If anything imo it's Romero > Martinez that's weird since he's only just gotten back from his hamstring injury (could be wrong, but think it's true).
Ota has stepped up for Benfica. Their loss Utd's gain

Real Name

Ole, ole, ole, Ole, ole, ole, ola
Ole, ole, ole, Cada día te quiero más
Soy Argentino, Es un sentimiento, No puedo parar

the_cliff

No Martinez is disappointing. Has this always been the case? No idea how Otamendi or Romero have been playing, but Licha has been imperious.

That being said, I agree with this.
To be fair to Argentina's manager, he's going with the same defence that won them the Copa America and has them on a 36 game unbeaten run so it's only normal he's not changing things.

Like you said it's good that Martinez gets a rest and I'm sure he'll get minutes.

Mike Smalling

No Lisandro Martinez! How dare the coach pick a team he feels give them the best chance to win, when that means excluding one of my favorite players?! This is outrage!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What he say
Calling out the human rights and lgbt issues in Qatar and that the World Cup shouldn't be there. Yes, he's working there and is hypocritical in saying this stuff for being there but I'd rather if pundits are there they say or do what Neville said he'd do on HIGNFY.

Telsim

The less playtime Martinez sees the better. We need him here. :D

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
No Lisandro Martinez! How dare the coach pick a team he feels give them the best chance to win, when that means excluding one of my favorite players?! This is outrage!
United fans wanting to see a United player start a world cup game. Shock, horror.