Day 3: England vs Croatia | Austria vs North Macedonia | Netherlands vs Ukraine

RedDevilRoshi

Best game of the tournament so far. Both defences look suspect but putting that aside, what an enjoyable match that was!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Netherlands saw that game out at the end pretty expertly

Well as expertly as you can when you've thrown away a 2 goal lead

OldBoyLanny

I'm afraid a top country will school us, but it is a good start in an easy poule, so should get to the knockout at least. Fun game to watch

redshaw

Brilliant match. Feel a bit sorry for Ukraine, they scored some nice goals and really surprised the dutch after looking gone. While Netherlands had control I think two of their goals come about quite fortunate.

Zen86

The only commentator who appreciates that he’s getting paid to watch football. He’s the only one who seems to actually want to be there
Definitely. Just comes across as a genuine fan of the game, and doesn’t come out with idiotic, controversial opinions like the majority of commentators these days.

diarm

I'll be very interested about what these lads on ITV say about Englands chances in the latter stages after they've spent 10 minutes rinsing the Dutch.

The fact that Ukraine were much better going forward than Croatia were, shouldn't lure anyone into thinking Pickford, Walker, Stones and Mings is any better than a back 3 of De Vrij, Blind and Timber.

They'll point to Maguire coming back in, but the Dutch have De Ligt as well.

Deery

Dreary
The Ukraine keeper was utterly horrible. Undid all the good work his front ten players did to come back into the game
Don’t know he also made 3 great saves to keep them in it.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really entertaining game, but De Boer needs to get his tactics right and know how to control tempo of a game. Feel Netherlands will win the next 2 convincingly, and then crash and burn the second they play a half decent side (likely in Ro16)

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'll be very interested about what these lads on ITV say about Englands chances in the latter stages after they've spent 10 minutes rinsing the Dutch.

The fact that Ukraine were much better going forward than Croatia were, shouldn't lure anyone into thinking Pickford, Walker, Stones and Mings is any better than a back 3 of De Vrij, Blind and Timber.

They'll point to Maguire coming back in, but the Dutch have De Ligt as well.
The amount of talent missing for the Dutch defence is insane. They could have DeLigt, Van Dijk in central defence and that'd enable them to shrink the pitch plus be a real threat on set pieces.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The amount of talent missing for the Dutch defence is insane. They could have DeLigt, Van Dijk in central defence and that'd enable them to shrink the pitch plus be a real threat on set pieces.
Yup. De Ligt - De Vrij - Van Dijk could have been the best back 3 of the tournament.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
De Ligt will be back for the next game. De Vrij, De Ligt and Blind are a fine trio to have at the back. Hope Memphis does better next game, he was a bit crap today.

sallycinnamin

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Expect both of them to go through also. Dumfries man of the match for me. That strike from Yaramalenko out of nowhere. Tournament well up and running now.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
What's the status with Dumfries? Move to a bigger club soon? What is his status in Holland?
In PL terms I think mid table. He’s decent but certainly not top level. He will almost certainly make a transfer this summer.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Surprised there isn’t more talk about Wijnaldum - De Jong. They were both really good in my opinion. Two goals of Ukraine were absolute class by the way.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Yup. De Ligt - De Vrij - Van Dijk could have been the best back 3 of the tournament.
That would never happen. It would be Blind - Van Dijk - De Ligt. Every Dutch coach so far goes for a left footed player unless it's the De Ligt Van Dijk combo. So it'll Blind instead of De Vrij. Sure De Vrij is better, but he isn't going to play over Blind

Lay

Ukraine always seem to have a dodgy keeper

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Great game, Netherlands well deserved winner with Ukraine weak defensive play and inconsistent keeping costing them as had often happened recently. Ukraine need to improve their midfield positional play and team pressing game, though with such a slow frontline and tsyhankov injured it won't be easy. Too many gaps and players standing off in midfield, or charging about pressing incoherently. Similar though not nearly as bad as the russian midfield shambles against Belgium.

championo

Top Stalker
Good point.
No no no, El Loco has done wonders for this lad. He is turning into a proper general in the midfield. I kept an eye on him this whole season. It is the range of passing that impresses me the most, some of them are like Scholesy like. Not saying the highlights below are all you should go off on, but he has come far in a short amount of time and his domination today was just validation for me.

Last edited: