Sunday 13 June, 21.00 CET @ Johan Cruyff Arena, Amsterdam
Group C
Ref: Felix Brych (Germany)​

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If England win, I get smashed.

If England lose, I get smashed

My liver would probably benefit from a draw here.

Calling it, Ukraine to upset the Dutch.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Make it or break it game for us. With the massive amount of negativity around De Boer and his selection, if we dont beat Ukraine the whole thing will implode. Conversely, if we win, our silly orange fever takes over and we will swear that against all odds, this will be our tournament.

Can't wait to be at the stadium Sunday. Sort of an end to all the lockdown and isolation.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
From last 10 goals that we conceded, 9 is from set pieces. fecking hell. Kane and Stones will enjoy in this.
Only hope is that Kovacic, Modric and Brozovic hide the ball 90 minutes :wenger:

TrustInOle

Croatia could be perfect opponents for the first game given the World cup semi, surely the motivation will be high to show how much we have improved, bearing in mind ageing legs in the Croatian team. Getting excited for this!

TrustInOle

From last 10 goals that we conceded, 9 is from set pieces. fecking hell. Kane and Stones will enjoy in this.
Only hope is that Kovacic, Modric and Brozovic hide the ball 90 minutes :wenger:
To be fair, we haven't had the same kind of impact since, but that could all be us being quiet on the aspect given how well they helped us in the World Cup.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Luka is spot on. Nothing to do with players but pundits and journos think that only 5,6 nations play football. Other are just there to fill empty slots.
In English media these days there is more talk about France and Belgium teams than England's opponents in group stage.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's probably right, too.

I'd imagine the players are far more ground regards expectations in major tournaments. Certainly more than your average self-serving journalist, who love nothing more than to build the national team up beyond a managable point, only to shoot them down the moment it all goes to pot.

It's all about clicks or something.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He's probably right, too.

I'd imagine the players are far more ground regards expectations in major tournaments. Certainly more than your average self-serving journalist, who love nothing more than to build the national team up beyond a managable point, only to shoot them down the moment it all goes to pot.

It's all about clicks or something.
He's played in England long enough to know the English players are probably no better nor worse than any other, but the media are cretins.

Irwin99

He has a point; I remember when England played Italy a few years back and one of the pundits (who I can't remember) argued that not a single Italian player would get in the England side.

Then Pirlo put in THAT performance :lol:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He has a point; I remember when England played Italy a few years back and one of the pundits (who I can't remember) argued that not a single Italian player would get in the England side.

There are a lot of bad pundits everywhere but I do feel the English ones are overrepresented in that category. Most of them don't watch games that don't feature English teams. They'll undersell top class foreign players until they perform against the English teams, at which point they'll jump on the bandwagon and claim said players have always been great. It was round about that time Pirlo went from being massively underrated to possibly slightly overrated.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Michael Owen claimed no Croatian player would get in the England side AFTER Croatia eliminated England in qualifying. Remember before the 4-1 loss to Germany? Germany were spoken of as no hopers who wouldn't lay a glove on England.

Irwin99

There are a lot of bad pundits everywhere but I do feel the English ones are overrepresented in that category. Most of them don't watch games that don't feature English teams. They'll undersell top class foreign players until they perform against the English teams, at which point they'll jump on the bandwagon and claim said players have always been great. It was round about that time Pirlo went from being massively underrated to possibly slightly overrated.
Agree with that.

Edit: Found it.It was Lawro ... Not one player :lol::lol::lol:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/mark-lawrenson-column-italy-uruguay-3663388

This was even after the first Pirlo game too when he absolutely dominated the match in 2012 (i think it was 2012). I'm sure I remember Michael Owen saying something similar around that time about English players being superior. It is a case of pundits/ex players not watching foreign leagues I think.

Personally I actually think this England team justifies the optimism in a lot of ways, at least in terms of the individual quality of the players. Guess we'll see how it goes.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

I think that was Germany 2010.

Bole Top

England 3:1 Croatia
Austria 3:0 Macedonia
Netherlands 1:0 Ukraine

Dan_F

Michael Owen claimed no Croatian player would get in the England side AFTER Croatia eliminated England in qualifying. Remember before the 4-1 loss to Germany? Germany were spoken of as no hopers who wouldn't lay a glove on England.
That’s what happens when ex players are hired who clearly just watch the Premier League. Like Micah Richard and Lineker laughing about having to give a preview on North Macedonia. I would genuinely be surprised if Richards could name Pandev without people doing research for him.

Gythio

Zlatan is another great example, feel like the english never gave him the credit he deserved until he scored 4 against England, including that overhead kick.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Agree with that.

Edit: Found it.It was Lawro ... Not one player :lol::lol::lol:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/mark-lawrenson-column-italy-uruguay-3663388

This was even after the first Pirlo game too when he absolutely dominated the match in 2012 (i think it was 2012). I'm sure I remember Michael Owen saying something similar around that time about English players being superior. It is a case of pundits/ex players not watching foreign leagues I think.

Personally I actually think this England team justifies the optimism in a lot of ways, at least in terms of the individual quality of the players. Guess we'll see how it goes.
Oh god. :lol:

I think both those teams look at England’s rising stars and think to themselves: “If they have a good day they could hurt us”.
What 'rising stars' did we have in 2014 ?

Anyway, sounds somewhat familiar.

DickDastardly

Once again asking the mods if they could change these threads to matchday threads with unlimited posting for newbs.

On topic, hoping for a draw today, can't see us winning today, you have a lot of options on the bench that could change the game, where as we are fecked.

Maybe Petković, or Krama if he doesn't start.

A draw would be a win for us today.
Unless we play a blinder and Modrić dominates you.

Deery

Dreary
Have to say this tournament is totally unfair when you have piles of teams playing at their home stadiums.

stubie

Seeing Mings start today has taken the excitement out for me! Is this where we are at now if players who are good with the media and have intentions of becoming pundits once retired are getting games of this importance?

dbs235

I agree with that, a lot of them seem to think that football starts and ends with the PL, and which is why there's always mass outrage about random mid table players like Bamford or Noble in the past not being called up, because they're done alright for an 11th place PL team, as if that's enough to take on the best of Europe.