Day 3: England vs Croatia | Austria vs North Macedonia | Netherlands vs Ukraine

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I find it incredible that Southgate would rather have two keepers on the bench rather than one of Europe’s most creative players
It might not be down to stupidity. He may have picked up a knock or something.

Drainy

At least the front 3 are a solid choice. Personally I agree with Mount over Grealish as well.

The choice to play a right back at left back when you have Chilwell and Shaw is mental.

Zlatattack

What an idiot.

Sterling ahead of Grealish and trippier ahead of Shaw.

Mind boggling.

krentz

I think England would lose the midfield battle today not because England's CMs are inferior but simply because Croatia have better structure and game plan. wont be suprised to see Jordan Henderson starting today.

Shaw is literally the best full back in the squad - all round. Grealish should be an automatic starter. Surely you don't play a weakened side against Croatia? Crazy stuff.
Less United players in today's squad the better, I dont think England is going to win anyway.

This was even after the first Pirlo game too when he absolutely dominated the match in 2012 (i think it was 2012). I'm sure I remember Michael Owen saying something similar around that time about English players being superior. It is a case of pundits/ex players not watching foreign leagues I think.

Personally I actually think this England team justifies the optimism in a lot of ways, at least in terms of the individual quality of the players. Guess we'll see how it goes.
The image of England Lion's Heart scotty Parker crawling trying to chase Andrea Pirlo's shadow stucked in my mind for long time. Got fair "abuses" from my seria A fanatic mates that day. '"Isnt he supposed to be PL's best player?", "PL's best player is a caveman?", etc, etc. As It turns out that scott Parker was voted PL best player in 2010 ahead of Dimitar Berbatov and Nani by clueless English pundits. :nervous:

diarm

Under the right coach and selection, this would've been the first tournament in my lifetime where I was happy to cheer England on.

Such an exciting crop of players who set free to play, could've taken on anyone. But he's dropped half of them do he can play spoofers like Pickford, Mings, Phillips and Sterling along with right backs at left back.

I'm not getting behind that shambles of a selection. Will be roaring on Croatia this afternoon!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yep, it’s going to be another wasted tournament
Unfortunately looks like it. However Kane is still at a good age where he should be in his prime for the world cup... though I doubt Southgate gets replaced if they just lose to Portugal or France in the early knockout phase.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I think Southgate just try to confuse Croatia and by doing so in the process he got confused himself.

Any way all the best to England and have enough quality in starting 11 to beat Croatia. Five subs rule will give Southgate plenty of option from bench.

BFernandes

Quite possibly, given the resources at his disposal, one of the worst team selections I can remember for some time.

The bench is a better 11 than what he has fielded.

cyberman

Who is scoring the goals on that side? It looks so fecking ordinary.
Edit 2 RBs on?!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
At least the front 3 are a solid choice. Personally I agree with Mount over Grealish as well.

The choice to play a right back at left back when you have Chilwell and Shaw is mental.
Sterling over Grealish, Sancho or Rashford is a terrible choice. Hell, if we're going based on how good their seasons are, the quality of player, then it should be Sancho and Grealish. If we're picking for counter attacking it should be Rashford and Sancho. Foden I get (even though disagree with him being ahead of Sancho, Grealish or Rashford ignoring injuries), but no chance Sterling after this past season where he was shit and others were far superior.

Zen

"You guys are left backs.... in a back 5. So I can't play you. I've got to play this right back at left back.... as he knows the back 4 system."

Mad he's not even got Sancho on the bench. He's the in form player out of Sterling, Rashford and himself.

Midfield - fine with it, you have to have two holders to protect a defence that's massively reliant on Maguire who isn't there, one of the attacking ones had to go, at least it's the one that had a niggle recently.

But.... he's playing for a win by 1 or reasonably happy with a draw. Shit mentality.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not starting Sancho is understandable even if you disagree with the decision, but to disclude him from the squad entirely is utterly bizarre. Equally bizarre is the decision to play Trippier ahead of Shaw and Chillwell.

Mental.

Ludens the Red

We all knew the one thing standing in our way and ruining our enthusiasm for this tournament was Southgate.
But he’s an even bigger clown that expected. For example why are their two keepers on the bench but no Sancho or Chilwell.

What is the logic behind these choices? Why are you picking a rb who never plays at lb at lb when you have two very good left backs.

He must be on a fecking wind up or something…

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Not starting Sancho is understandable even if you disagree with the decision, but to disclude him from the squad entirely is utterly bizarre. Equally bizarre is the decision to play Trippier ahead of Shaw and Chillwell.

Mental.
He might be injured.

sparx99

Unless Shaw is injured that’s a massive slap in the face.
Also we have Chilwell and Saka! So even if Shaw was injured what the hell is he thinking? I can only imagine it’s wanting a right footer to deal with Perisic cutting in?

sparx99

Sterling over Grealish, Sancho or Rashford is a terrible choice. Hell, if we're going based on how good their seasons are, the quality of player, then it should be Sancho and Grealish. If we're picking for counter attacking it should be Rashford and Sancho. Foden I get (even though disagree with him being ahead of Sancho, Grealish or Rashford ignoring injuries), but no chance Sterling after this past season where he was shit and others were far superior.
Foden, Grealish and Sancho are in better form than Rashford and Sterling.

Leg-End

Love seeing players out of position with a 26 man squad, love it, brilliant work.