Day 4: Costa Rica vs Serbia, Germany vs Mexico , Brazil vs Switzerland

Bobski

Standard of crossing from full back has been dreadful in this WC, seems very few have that mastered in the modern game, all want to play shorter.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Its everyones role to occasionally show some creativity and try things. This whole "it's not his role" thing that always gets used for different players is such a cop out, its football, everyone has to contribute to all parts of play. Whether its playing out from the back, pressing from the front, tracking back, etc.

The best holding midfielders are also very progressive passers and quick on the ball. Matic had a good season, but he has his faults, and on the ball is a big one for him. Hes safe, but too slow and safe for the most part.

Yep he contributes nothing going forward and is too safe. FFS you would think we were talking about somebody of Jordan Henderson quality here. :rolleyes: Matic is one of the defensive midfielders around and we would honestly struggle to replace him.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Serbia using too much their righ side to attack. Kolarov is free in the left many times.
Agreed, especially when you see the standard of crosses Ivanovix has made.

Enjoying the game. Needs a goal though.
Serbia could really kill them off, just seem a bit reserved when they get into attack.

Costa Rica look deadly on break though.

Bobski

Yep he contributes nothing going forward :rolleyes:
That kind of proves his point doesn't it? Matic has the ability to be much more aggressive with his passing choices, but settles for conservative options the vast majority of the time.

Cloud7

This is my first time watching M-Savic properly in a game. I am definitely impressed. Would definitely welcome him here

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Milinkovic Savic looks decent, but based on this game he's exactly what United do not need.
Basing it on this game is misleading though. Serbia are playing it too slow and don’t have the speedy outlet we have. He’s played it into good positions only for his team mates to slow it down.
We have Fred now and along with quicker players: Alexis, Rashford etc he could be devastating
I do think however that he and Pogba in the same side don’t really go.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That kind of proves his point doesn't it? Matic has the ability to be much more aggressive with his passing choices, but settles for conservative options the vast majority of the time.
Utd all over!

Dinghy

Serbia are painfully slow in moving the ball out out of their defence. Reminds me of a certain team.

Ban

Serbia are painfully slow in moving the ball out out of their defence. Reminds me of a certain team.
Just say it, don't be shy. In any case we never see posts about how shite United is. It's welcomed.

Prodigy24

Yep he contributes nothing going forward and is too safe. FFS you would think we were talking about somebody of Jordan Henderson quality here. :rolleyes: Matic is one of the defensive midfielders around and we would honestly struggle to replace him.
He was amazing in that game. :drool:

Can't understand the criticism he's getting by United fans. Think he was excellent last season and was a midfielder that we much needed. His defensive qualities are great and he is one of the few players that is not afraid to move the ball forward. Sure his form dropped at times but he was still one of our most consistent players last season.

Nick7

Basing it on this game is misleading though. Serbia are playing it too slow and don’t have the speedy outlet we have. He’s played it into good positions only for his team mates to slow it down.
We have Fred now and along with quicker players: Alexis, Rashford etc he could be devastating
I do think however that he and Pogba in the same side don’t really go.
Oh yeah but I mean in terms of positioning and movement. Doesn't look like he would be any different to what we have. I'm sure he's a great player but the positions he's taking up and what's he's doing here is better served with other players in our side.

Ban

He was amazing in that game. :drool:

Can't understand the criticism he's getting by United fans. Think he was excellent last season and was a midfielder that we much needed. His defensive qualities are great and he is one of the few players that is not afraid to move the ball forward. Sure his form dropped at times but he was still one of our most consistent players last season.
He's 29, so his legs are gone.Get it.

Alexit

I love how some people are coming (jumping?) to conclusions on SMS after one half of a group stage match. Go on Caf!

Serbia playing well, the game slowed down a bit as the half wore on though. l hope Serbia go onto win this one.

Walters_19_MuFc

I can see why we're being linked with Savic and why Mourinho would love him.

He is like Fellaini, in the way that he is always in the box for a cross. He also has the ability to drop off and play in tight spaces, but also run in behind the striker.

He would certainly be the 'presence' Jose is talking about.

GM K

Matic is so uninspiring with his passing out of his 10+ passes all of them have been backwards to CBs so far after taking a touch to slow down the play, we need an upgrade on him.
Matic is one of the top 5 players in the world in his position. We have bigger problems than replacing him.

Bobski

I can see why we're being linked with Savic and why Mourinho would love him.

He is like Fellaini, in the way that he is always in the box for a cross. He also has the ability to drop off and play in tight spaces, but also run in behind the striker.

He would certainly be the 'presence' Jose is talking about.
How do he and Pogba co-exist?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Evra :lol: Can tell he would have retired at United if everything worked out that way.